Quantcast

Northstar Updates

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
A week ago I found myself at northstar. Thanks to the trail crews up there, a LOAD of work has been done to the trails. I'm sorta' astonished that no one has really mentioned this on the forums, so here is a little update of what I've seen added/improved. Feel free to add or do whatever.

As of 7/27

--Paving stones have been added to the "Grandfather Drop" on boondocks. The landing area has also been leveled, and there has been a berm put in after the drop to help you keep both your speed and control.

--The wave rock roll-down on boondocks has a better rock->ground transition thanks to some woodwork.

--Paving stones have been added to the landing of the wooden log jump, further down on boondocks.

--The Dirt Jump park has been opened. When I was there, a week ago, only the intermediate and beginner lines were open. There was also a step down about halfway through the intermediate line that either needed more of a lip, or to have the landing brought in a bit. Everything else, however, was spot on.

A LOT of good work has been put in recently, and the star is definitely shaping up to be a more awesome place to ride! Thanks goes out to the trail crew and all the volunteers on the side!

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
The star is lookin' better and better nowadays. So should I bring the ht for these new dj's or are they flowable on a DH rig?

ridenorcal

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Gnar-Cal
Stoked! I am heading up in a few days and then I'm going to race on Sunday. Anybody else going to be up there? I can't wait this will be my first time this season.

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
The star is lookin' better and better nowadays. So should I bring the ht for these new dj's or are they flowable on a DH rig?
If you want to be able to hit the big line when it's done, I would say hardtail.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Yeah, it's just a total bummer they totally screwed up a bunch of stuff on Livewire. The jumps are more lippy, and hence had the desire to try to throw me over my bars on each and every run I did on Livewire. Despite that, the berms are in better shape.

But the jumps, they killed them.

On a side note, Gypsy was a mess, but Boondocks was in GREAT shape, and they did a TON of work to that trail.

Kudos to the Northstar Trail Crew for all your hard work!

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
So at least in my imagination I could see these new jumps being alot like the ones on livewire, (a couple decent size jumps followed by a really short one that you cant help but overshoot, and then maybe one of their signature hips where you have to almost come to a dead stop before it in order to not end up in the trees on the opposite side of the trail) Sweet. Hopefully cam zink (if he is actually helping build these) will be able to sort everything out.

DUKESofTAH0E

Monkey
Mar 27, 2006
northstar
the new jumps on live wire only suck if you try and hit them at full speed. why not slow down a bit and enjoy the pop off the lip. if i remeber correctly jumps are made to get air not just fly as low to the ground with out touching as possible. but if thats what you like try tryumph and see how far you can fly off every lil rock.

cam zink is out there witht the trail crew not just pointing fingers but throwing dirt as well.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
Today was the first day I've been back since my broken collarbone on June 14th. I broke it on boondocks, big daddy. It's nice to see it has shaped up as it definately wasn't on that day.

Collarbone is still broken but was still not healed but rode anyways today.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
the new jumps on live wire only suck if you try and hit them at full speed. why not slow down a bit and enjoy the pop off the lip. if i remeber correctly jumps are made to get air not just fly as low to the ground with out touching as possible. but if thats what you like try tryumph and see how far you can fly off every lil rock.

cam zink is out there witht the trail crew not just pointing fingers but throwing dirt as well.
The problem is that this is a jump trail, and you shouldn't have to constantly be break checking between jumps to "get them right".

With that said, unless new jumps have been added, I haven't had too much of a problem with the jumps. There are a few sections where you have to intentionally be a little sloppy to slow down enough, but you never really have to use your brakes too much. I have horribly overshot one of the big lips on the big berms section, but that was from me being dumb. In fact, wasn't the first set of jumps up top reworked after the first opening? Things are still getting better!

May 13, 2008
The Bay.
Livewire is a lawsuit waiting to happen with those bad lips and poor landings.....Those hip jumps are so small........

Brake checking before every jump is way annoying.......

They should have the trail split with bigger sets on the right... and smaller to the left.....

With the speed you carry coasting you will over jump every jump by at least 10 feet.
It needs bigger landings and more drawn out take offs...

Not here to dog it because he trail crew works extremely hard and even as bad as live wire is it beats everything else we have. It just needs some refinement.

Boondocks is primo this year!

All the changes make it my fave so far this year.

benjaminj

mr. amy
Mar 21, 2007
so. tahoe
Livewire is a lawsuit waiting to happen with those bad lips and poor landings.....Those hip jumps are so small........
Boondocks is primo this year!
All the changes make it my fave so far this year.
All I have to say about Livewire is that I'm glad everyone is complaining about it but still riding it -leaves the left side of the mountain open to any of us that like the old rocky trails. Long live Karpiel, Dog Bone and Sticks.

And agreed with Boondocks - huge thanks to the trail crew for making that trail so tight.
I even just saw Northstar written up in the latest National Geographic Adventure magazine....

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Livewire may not be A-line, but I would say that everything on that trail is either improved from last year or at least as good as it was. I didn't see anything that seemed worse. And in general, I think N* has only improved things since last year. Boondocks is great. The new jump area looks cool, though I don't think I'll spend a lot of time there being on the big bike.

But what happened to the fun box/log ride that was by the lift last year? :)