Quantcast

Northstar

Low_b

Monkey
Mar 27, 2002
Them thar Foothills
hacksaw said:
Ahhhh Donner Ski Ranch. That place was so fun but like N* they were bought a few years ago also by some huge Real Estate company
I was under the impression it was sold to another individual.
I may not have my facts straight.

I used to love riding at the ranch and the $10 lift tickets didnt hurt either.

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
Low_b said:
I was under the impression it was sold to another individual.
I may not have my facts straight.

I used to love riding at the ranch and the $10 lift tickets didnt hurt either.
I think that the Condos were sold first then just recently they sold the rest of the Mountian.Remember Donner had it all going on they had Dual which was a blast then Cross Country and DH and Palmer and all the boys would show up and race.Who cares if th was slow and the timing thing never worked it was always an experience.An the 10 buck days ruled.

Low_b

Monkey
Mar 27, 2002
Them thar Foothills
hacksaw said:
I think that the Condos were sold first then just recently they sold the rest of the Mountian.Remember Donner had it all going on they had Dual which was a blast then Cross Country and DH and Palmer and all the boys would show up and race.Who cares if th was slow and the timing thing never worked it was always an experience.An the 10 buck days ruled.
Donner was blast. I never did race there I just liked to ride the place. That was before Palmer even rode MTB. :p
But it did offer a great variety of riding. Even the Xc there was a blast. I like the ride that took you around the ponds then on to the granite slabs.

It's lookin like Auburn is going to be the place to ride all year now.

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
This is ****ed up. I bought a season pass so I could ride til oct 9th, or whenever they were supposed to close, not til sept 25th. Like what was said before, they aren't holding up their end of the bargain. :stosh: :stosh: :stosh: :stosh: :stosh:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I talked to Ivan in the bike shop yesterday, he said they need them out of the shop to bust out the construction in that area since skiing is the #1 thing there. They must have the gondola completed by snow fall.

MrCrash907

Chimp
Jan 26, 2004
El Bunny, California
dhtahoe said:
They a canning the program after this year anyway... For good. They just have not made it public yet.
Just curious - how did you find out about it?

I'm wondering what kind of attendance numbers Northstar had this past year. As much as I enjoyed it, the turnout never seemed that great. Made me wonder if lift ticket sales were good enough to even cover expenses.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
MrCrash907 said:
Just curious - how did you find out about it?

I'm wondering what kind of attendance numbers Northstar had this past year. As much as I enjoyed it, the turnout never seemed that great. Made me wonder if lift ticket sales were good enough to even cover expenses.
That would be the longest post in ridemonkey history. Not about weather or not it makes money. A new sub division is going in ABOVE the new village next. 200+ more houses.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
dhtahoe said:
That would be the longest post in ridemonkey history. Not about weather or not it makes money. A new sub division is going in ABOVE the new village next. 200+ more houses.

Holy crap....like.....Wow

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
ok.... so after this discussion i too was prompted to talk to someone at northstar yesterday.
they are closing early because they have to take the lift down to take down some trees. you'll see them tagged the next time you're riding up the lift.
and the rumors about them not being open next season are just rumors. they are STILL planning on putting in their signature trail and some other new trails.

i'm mad about the mtn closing early, but i can't bad mount n* anymore because i truely love love love riding there.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
amydalayna said:
and the rumors about them not being open next season are just rumors. they are STILL planning on putting in their signature trail and some other new trails.
Heard all this before, but always a new excuse. The GM want the program canned. They don't tell their employees the truth. They will wait until the very last minute (June 2006). Just like they did this year with closing early. This is only the first phase of construction with three to go. I have been hearing this " we are going to build a whole bunch of new trails" crap for three years now. Still think it's funny that Kona named a bike after a trail that never got built. Until they quite lying I will not give them any more of my money!!!

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
dhtahoe said:
I have been hearing this " we are going to build a whole bunch of new trails" crap for three years now. Still think it's funny that Kona named a bike after a trail that never got built. Until they quite lying I will not give them any more of my money!!!
I agree with you 100 percent. But I still need a mountain to ride on that is closer to whistler :(

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
I can remember about 4 years ago (maybe more, they're all a blur at this point) I called them up asking why they did not offer season passes at the time. The answer I got was that they were in a construction phase and weren't even sure if they were going to be open at all the following years. Needless to say, they were open the next year. The year after that I bought my first season pass, and this year I got 8 trips in.

I'll admit, I was a little alarmed at the sudden and unannounced early closing this year (gotta love bike industry professionalism!!), but remember it aint over till it's over. Like others have said, it's still an e-roumor at this point, and I think some on this board may have bones to pick with N* management. I'm gonna chill for the winter and see what happens next year. If they are not open, who knows, maybe Kirkwood will seize the opportunity to step it up, or, maybe theres some week long trips to Mammoth in my future.

As for the questions on the season pass/closing early thing. I'm sure if you read the fine print, they already thought of that one, and in legal mumbo jumbo it says "your'e fvcked". :mad:

cornholio

Chimp
May 6, 2005
MVRIDER said:
Bummer-they just updated the website. It says Sept. 25th for sure. :(

Is it just me or did it seem like the crowds were a little down this year? Opening weekend was big, I can remember the line going half way up the hill, that was a first for me. But when I went just last month for the whole weekend, it just seemed like it wasn't really that crowded.
since when has northstar ever been crowded? i remember like one or two days tops each season that could be considered crowded. opening weekend, and occasionally on a race day, rarely. other than that, they're never crowded, not even on weekends. and weekdays, there's nobody. i never understood people who'd say, i'm not sure about going this weekend, it might be too crowded. when has northstar ever been crowded? lift lines? what lift lines?

cornholio

Chimp
May 6, 2005
dhtahoe said:
=They are doing ALOT of things that are against the law, but have figured out that it's cheaper to pay the fines than do it the right way. The Squaw Valley has ben doing this for years. That's why Squaw has no park anymore. "They don't want our type there".
that breaking the law bit, i think that's what they call an "externality". basically a corporation let's the general public, who is not part of the business transaction, pay for all the fall out and f- up **** that results, pollution, higher cost of living, etc, while the company gets the profits. pretty good deal for them. kind of like another popular euphemism, "collateral damage". i was just watching "the corporation". rent it on dvd, it's pretty cool.

cornholio

Chimp
May 6, 2005
MrCrash907 said:
How does Mammoth compare to Northstar?
Imo, it's pretty darn good, definitely worth the trip, and that whole place is beatiful. It's not as good as Northstar though, imo.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
cornholio said:
since when has northstar ever been crowded? i remember like one or two days tops each season that could be considered crowded. opening weekend, and occasionally on a race day, rarely. other than that, they're never crowded, not even on weekends. and weekdays, there's nobody. i never understood people who'd say, i'm not sure about going this weekend, it might be too crowded. when has northstar ever been crowded? lift lines? what lift lines?

Relatively crowded. I can remember times last year when all the cool people parking was taken, having to go up to the area where you are really supposed to park, and even then having to go up another level to find something.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
dhtahoe said:
I have been hearing this " we are going to build a whole bunch of new trails" crap for three years now. Still think it's funny that Kona named a bike after a trail that never got built. Until they quite lying I will not give them any more of my money!!!
Me too, but maybe they'll actually start building trails some time, or keeping up the ones they already have...

I don't think Kona named the bike after the trail. I believe that resorts can pay extra $$ or something to have a name of their choice put on one of Kona's frames. But I'm not sure.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
matt12 said:
that's one of the coolest things i think they've ever done.

unless they send us a letter saying that we can buy one of their condos with no down payment as compensation :D
i got my letter in the mail yesterday. $50 off of next year's pass. so i guess they will be open next year...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
MrCrash907 said:
40% chance of rain and Isolated Thunderstorms predicted for Saturday and Sunday. Hmmmm.
there was supposed to be thundershowers yesterday and the day before. nothing until late last night. n* could use a good soaking. i was hoping it would just pour yesterday.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
DLo said:
Damn, I'm plannin to make it up this weekend. Would it be cold enough to snow? That'll be some fun stuff :D
i think snow would be kinda fun. i guess until my feet got too cold.
maybe on race day they could switch from red bull girls to hot cocoa girls or something. but i think it'll rain and not snow. i guess pack your poncho.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We got some slushy snow in Downieville a couple weeks ago. As long as the lifts stay open I would actually prefer a little snow over rain, usually much drier.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
amydalayna said:
i got my letter in the mail yesterday. $50 off of next year's pass. so i guess they will be open next year...
i got mine yesterday too. I have no idea whether they will or won't open next year but I wouldn't say that getting a letter in the mail offering $50 off next years pass is a garauntee that they will be open next year.

seemed like it rained from midnight until this morning on the NV side of the lake.

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
I got the letter too... So I assume they will be open next year and they are only closing 6 days early so it's not like we are losing the mountain for good. I'm happy. $50 off is good too...

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Yeti DHer said:
I got the letter too... So I assume they will be open next year and they are only closing 6 days early so it's not like we are losing the mountain for good. I'm happy. $50 off is good too...
Yeah I got that coupon today too. Really cool of them to do that. A lot more than I expected. Only problem is I won a season pass for next year, so now what do I do? :help:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
matt12 said:
Yeah I got that coupon today too. Really cool of them to do that. A lot more than I expected. Only problem is I won a season pass for next year, so now what do I do? :help:
if only all of us had the same problems as you.... geez. i guess have a friend buy the season pass you won off of you and then buy another pass w/ the 50$ off coupon.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
matt12 said:
Call em up and tell them that now they owe you the season pass + $50! :sneaky:

MrCrash907

Chimp
Jan 26, 2004
El Bunny, California
Does anyone know what trails they're going to close off for the Sunday races? As much as I want to get some good riding in, I'm thinking it might be kind of neat to see how it's done.

I can't do the more common double blacks anyway (Middle Karpiel and Lower Sticks and Stones are both over my head) - I'm wondering if it would limit many of my choices.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
MrCrash907 said:
Does anyone know what trails they're going to close off for the Sunday races? As much as I want to get some good riding in, I'm thinking it might be kind of neat to see how it's done.

I can't do the more common double blacks anyway (Middle Karpiel and Lower Sticks and Stones are both over my head) - I'm wondering if it would limit many of my choices.
the problem is, is they block off karpiel. and that's the main way to get everything else. i guess you could do dog bone, sticks, and boondocks all day.
boondocks all day could be fun...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
amydalayna said:
the problem is, is they block off karpiel. and that's the main way to get everything else. i guess you could do dog bone, sticks, and boondocks all day.
boondocks all day could be fun...
if it wasn't for the ride out there I would have no problem riding that trail all day. my favorite there. :heart: