Quantcast

Northstar

bikermom

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
Just in case anybody is wondering Northstar will be closing on the 25.
They just called and cancelled my reservations for October 3rd. They were "nice enough" not to charge me the $50. cancellation fee. Of course I let them know they better not because they broke the contract not me. They have known for at least a month that the 25th would be their last weekend but decided to let us know last minute. :angry:

Their way of saying sorry was to not charge us for for them canceling, nice people huh?

Hopefully everybody else will find out before driving up there. They told me most people will know because they have a sign at the enterance and they have ads running in their newspaper.
:nope:

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Thanks for the heads up...I was hoping to make it up there the first weekend in october but I guess that won't be happening. Oh well, time to put the DH bike up for sale.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
bikermom said:
Hopefully everybody else will find out before driving up there. They told me most people will know because they have a sign at the enterance and they have ads running in their newspaper.
:nope:
you think they would update their website then. geez.
bummer. seriously. i'm not ready for summer to end yet.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Thanks for the heads up. You might want to consider editing your post to change the title to something a little more informative, like "northstar will be closing early" or "northstar will close on Sept 25th", that will likely get more attention.

bikermom

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
well you're being too nice. I have a couple of other names for them. Does anybody know of any place else in CA that has lifts for mountain biking? Since they wrecked our vacation. We were going to go earlier but my husband got hit by a car on his bike and broke his thumb and other ouchies. A**holes didn't even stop to see if he was okay.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
bikermom said:
well you're being too nice. I have a couple of other names for them. Does anybody know of any place else in CA that has lifts for mountain biking? Since they wrecked our vacation. We were going to go earlier but my husband got hit by a car on his bike and broke his thumb and other ouchies. A**holes didn't even stop to see if he was okay.
mammoth is lift access. you could do shuttle runs up in downieville too.

bikermom

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
Mammoth will be closed. We all took Ssept 30- Oct. 3 off work so we are trying for that weekend. Do you shuttle yourself at downieville or do they have shuttles, and are the trails comparable to Northstar. We live in Santa Cruz so we aren't that familiar with the riding areas up there. Any info please?
thanks

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
you can shuttle yourself if you have a couple of vehicles or you can use 1 of 2 shuttle services in town. Yuba Expeditions or Downieville Outfitters.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
bikermom said:
Do you shuttle yourself at downieville or do they have shuttles, and are the trails comparable to Northstar. We live in Santa Cruz so we aren't that familiar with the riding areas up there. Any info please?
thanks
There a couple of Shuttle outfits in D'ville that you can use.

Yuba expeditions:
http://www.yubaexpeditions.com/

Downieville outfitters:
http://www.downievilleoutfitters.com/

The trails at D'ville do differ from N*. While N* is a true DH place where you should really use a DH bike, D'ville is really more about trail riding. You can have a great time on a DH bike but a long travel Trail bike is better suited for the trails there.

bikermom

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
are the shuttle prices per ride or for the day? Noone wants to answer the phone at either. I could kill N* or the person that hit my husband for messing up our plans!

bikermom

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
thanks for the info! I am about to say F$^% it all and just go to Hollister dirt bike riding.

Thanks again!

Low_b

Monkey
Mar 27, 2002
Them thar Foothills
bikermom said:
thanks for the info! I am about to say F$^% it all and just go to Hollister dirt bike riding.

Thanks again!
Hollister sounds like fun :thumb:

Most people can only do 2 shuttles a day at D-Ville. It's a 45 minute ride to the top of ride and an hour or so to the bottom. Its around 13-15 miles with one good uphill for less than a mile.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They weren't going to open last year because of construction either. Or this year..............

If everyone on this site in cali calls and makes a condo reservation for next summer, I'd bet a body part they find some way to run the lifts.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
kidwoo said:
They weren't going to open last year because of construction either. Or this year..............

If everyone on this site in cali calls and makes a condo reservation for next summer, I'd bet a body part they find some way to run the lifts.

Eh, I'll just stay here and ride. More money for body armor

Low_b

Monkey
Mar 27, 2002
Them thar Foothills
kidwoo said:

This has been said before for many seasons and they still open.
Though they are planning to tear up midmountain which is the first time I think they used this reason.

I dont think condo rentals during the off season means jack to them.
Just ask Bikermom.

jroymcd

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
DAMN, I was going on the 25th but with it being to last day and a race its not worth it. the lift is going to be way backed up and people everywhere.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Bummer-they just updated the website. It says Sept. 25th for sure. :(

Is it just me or did it seem like the crowds were a little down this year? Opening weekend was big, I can remember the line going half way up the hill, that was a first for me. But when I went just last month for the whole weekend, it just seemed like it wasn't really that crowded.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
MVRIDER said:
Bummer-they just updated the website. It says Sept. 25th for sure. :(

Is it just me or did it seem like the crowds were a little down this year? Opening weekend was big, I can remember the line going half way up the hill, that was a first for me. But when I went just last month for the whole weekend, it just seemed like it wasn't really that crowded.
i agree. openning day was the only crazy day i saw. i've been mainly going sundays though. but last saturday i went and pretty quiet.

North* Dher

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
Colfax
What about season pass holders???

How are they going to compensate us for the three weekends we're missing??

Afterall they aren't holding up their end of the AGREEMENT!!!!!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
North* Dher said:

Yeah....good point.

They should let me shoot a family in a ford excursion when they slide into me exiting northstar this winter for ever day of riding I miss.

marcm

Monkey
Jun 15, 2002
Elk Grove (sacramento)
What is up!!! dang i take one summer off and everything goes to S*%@ whats up Low-b and BrianHCM well i missed N* this season I have been busy with work oh yea if you see the big 53 foot FAT TIRE beer big rig driving honk its me.
thats my new truck i am stoked i got the best truck at work.

well i am trying to get up to Dville soon and of course Auburn for the fall and winter.

Damn i am sure glad i sold my DH bike at the start of the season.

now i think i am going to build up a sick trail bike as well as my dirt jumper.

well guys i hope all is well with your families.. i will keep in touch now that my work has slowed down.

Late.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
North* Dher said:

have you contacted them about that?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
marcm said:
What is up!!! dang i take one summer off and everything goes to S*%@ whats up Low-b and BrianHCM well i missed N* this season I have been busy with work oh yea if you see the big 53 foot FAT TIRE beer big rig driving honk its me.
thats my new truck i am stoked i got the best truck at work.

well i am trying to get up to Dville soon and of course Auburn for the fall and winter.

Damn i am sure glad i sold my DH bike at the start of the season.

now i think i am going to build up a sick trail bike as well as my dirt jumper.

well guys i hope all is well with your families.. i will keep in touch now that my work has slowed down.

Late.
Hey Marc, I was hopeing to see you at N* this year, guess thats not happening. We'll hook up in Auburn for sure!!!! Wife & kids are great, hows your family?

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
They a canning the program after this year anyway... For good. They just have not made it public yet. They are a real estate company now, and need to sell all those condos before the market takes a crap. I think it's funny that they keep building in Truckee, but nobody is buying. Another developer (who has been less than pleasent to cyclist) was stabbed and killed after he pissed off a local redneck a few weeks ago. East-West the owners of N* are F'ing up the whole town of Truckee. Buying every piece of retail they can and kicking out the tennents. Some that have been there for 30+ years. Retail space is OVER $4/sq ft. Almost double of what it was a year ago. We are too low income for their market. If we all bought a 1.3 million dollar 1bd condo it would be different. They are doing ALOT of things that are against the law, but have figured out that it's cheaper to pay the fines than do it the right way. The Squaw Valley has ben doing this for years. That's why Squaw has no park anymore. "They don't want our type there".

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
Low_b said:
We need the Ski Ranch to step up to the plate!!!
Ahhhh Donner Ski Ranch. That place was so fun but like N* they were bought a few years ago also by some huge Real Estate company If what Town says is true everyone in the general area needs to start calling and finding out where (if any) resorts will be open to hosting Nountian Bikes bummer cause if you ever go to Whistler you can see how a successful program can florish and run .Nice going a-hole Real Estate people f-it up for all of us once again..