Quantcast

Norway and Sweden. I'm going end of July. Who's been there?

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
So I'm getting plane tix tomorrow. Ticket prices are ridiculous, but the opportunity to go has surfaced, and I can't resist. Kinda spur of the moment, and it will destroy my bank account for a couple weeks but it's worth it.

I'll be flying with my friend, and we're visiting some college friends that live there.

For all of you that have been there, can you tell me what your experience was like? What were your expenses like over there.

What should I check out while I'm there?

Thanks for any info!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've been to upsala and stockholm. stockholm is a great city, one of the best. but expensive. that's teh drawback to scandanavian countries in general.

no need to worry about the native tongue; in stockholm and upsala pretty much everyone spoke english.

there are tons of great churches, buildings, museums, etc in stockholm. definitley check out the modern art museum if you are remotely interested in the subject.

PM me if you want more info.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I've been through Sweden and stayed in Norway for a few days. Everything is expensive. I smoked at the time, and a pack of sigs in Oslo was around $8 (US dollars)!

Check out the "Norway in a Nutshell" tour. Incredibly easy way to see some AMAZING sights, especially Flam Railway. Its a 1-3 day trip. I recommend staying at the hotel in Stalheim. You may want to hang out there for a few days. This is the view off the back patio:

There used to be a sticky thread here with riding pics from Norway. What happened to it????

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
My brother lives in Småland. it's like a state in the very southern part of Sveridge. Try and check out Jönköping (pronounced; yawn-shö-ping). it's like an old town with some cool shops and stuff or look into the Swedish Ozzy Osbourne; Magnus Uggla. his music sucks, but he's friggen popular for it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I've been to both countries. My Swedish experience consisted of clubbing and sightseeing in Stockholm.

Norway we did the big tour - Oslo, Grimstadt (coastal fishing town), Flåm, Bodo..... Flåm is hands down the most spectacular part we visited. Took the boat from Flåm to Gudvangen. Wow. Wish we'd spent a week in Flåm just exploring.

Oslo is excellent as well. Be sure to take the train out to Holmenkollen and see the winter sports center. Really nice hiking trails up there as well. Also don't miss the Vigeland park in Oslo. Spectacular sculptures.

The waterfront in Oslo was really nice. They have a WW-II museum as well as some fortifications remaining. Also recommended is the Viking museum west of town. Pretty small, but worth a few hours.

Have fun in Scandanavia! :thumb:

-S.S.-

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Norway we did the big tour - Oslo, Grimstadt (coastal fishing town), Flåm, Bodo..... Flåm is hands down the most spectacular part we visited. Took the boat from Flåm to Gudvangen. Wow. Wish we'd spent a week in Flåm just exploring.
We spent the night in Flåm when we were there. Gorgeous. We then took a ferry to Gudvangen and bused from there to Voss. From there we took the trail to Bergen and spent a couple days there wandering around. Bergen is a very cool coastal town. The absolutely BEST smoked salmon I've ever had was bought from the waterfront marketplace there. From there we took a train to Stavanger, where we missed a flight to Amsterdam by minutes. Next flight was the next morning, but the airport closed for the night so we ended up sleeping in the middle of a field just down the road. Thank god we were backpacking it. Just threw down our bags and spent the night under the stars. Good times.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
pixelninja said:
I've been through Sweden and stayed in Norway for a few days. Everything is expensive. I smoked at the time, and a pack of sigs in Oslo was around $8 (US dollars)!

Check out the "Norway in a Nutshell" tour. Incredibly easy way to see some AMAZING sights, especially Flam Railway. Its a 1-3 day trip. I recommend staying at the hotel in Stalheim. You may want to hang out there for a few days. This is the view off the back patio:

There used to be a sticky thread here with riding pics from Norway. What happened to it????
Here it is:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80811&highlight=norway

The pics are rad. I wish I were bringing my bike..