Quantcast

Nostalgia (Things that make us feel old).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've recently been watching the original G.I. Joe cartoon series on Netflix. It's crazy that I find myself quoting a lot of the episodes even though I haven't seen them in probably over 20yrs.
:rofl:

I showed my daughter Robotek on Hulu. She thought it was too cheesy compared to todays anime standards.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
:rofl:

I showed my daughter Robotek on Hulu. She thought it was too cheesy compared to todays anime standards.
On the flip side, my kids are totally hooked on Annie, Jumangi, Flight of the Navigator, and a few others.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Sporting related-- Remembering Tomac's son as a toddler, and now he's ripping up the mx scene. The National's Bryce Harper being on the cover of Sports Illustrated, dropping out of high school at 16, a few years in the minors, and moving up to the big leagues, at 19 yet. Remembering when Hank Aaron hit #715, and to still remember the team/pitcher he did it against (Al Downing of the Dodgers). Remembering when there was only 12 games in a NFL season. Seeing Wilt Chamberlain play. Seeing the first "10" in Olympic gymnastics.

You get the idea......

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Went back to school at 38 y/o. Didn't make me feel old until a girl exactly half my age gave me her phone number. Felt like a creepy old dude.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Everybody smoking everywhere, all the time.

Not wearing seatbelts, ever.

Regular-ass cars having gigantic motors. My mom couldn't drive dad's galaxy 500 without burning the tires everywhere.

Japanese monster movies, spaghetti westerns, gilligans island, happy days, laverne and shirley.

Kids getting smacked straight across the face, whenever/whereever, for getting a smart mouth. Maybe need to bring that one back.

VW bugs

Star Wars before it sucked

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Everybody smoking everywhere, all the time.
Was invited to Laughlin (first mistake) by some friends. Definitely do not miss the good ol' days of cigarette machines in bars and weathered old people in CA. That weekend was a good reminder of that...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Kids getting smacked straight across the face, whenever/whereever, for getting a smart mouth. Maybe need to bring that one back.
I've been trying to tell my buddy that timeouts obviously aren't working for his demon child and he just needs a solid smack. Not a repetitive beating, just a point making.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So far the only thing that has made me feel old was going to a concert after having not gone to one in 5 years or so and all of a sudden, I am the old guy. The middle age guy with his kid at the show... The old guy who doesn't fit in... when the 23 year old sitting next to me realizes that I am smoking a joint and says "It's good to see some of the older generation still out here."

That has been the only thing that made me feel old so far. Or at least not young. That was a bummer.
Had that feeling at Agent Orange in SD a few years back. Then I remembered that Mike Palm is older than me, as was Brandon Cruz who was there with Dr Know.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
One that came up today:

The small TV (15" flat panel) in my bedroom crapped out, so I'm looking for something cheap to replace it. I was thinking of getting one of those TV/DVD/VCR combos so I could watch some of the old bike vids on VHS I still have occasionally. It appears they don't even make those things anymore.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
One that came up today:

The small TV (15" flat panel) in my bedroom crapped out, so I'm looking for something cheap to replace it. I was thinking of getting one of those TV/DVD/VCR combos so I could watch some of the old bike vids on VHS I still have occasionally. It appears they don't even make those things anymore.
They make them for free if you watch CL free section.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
For me the worst part about getting older is not the gray hair (or as I like to call them "natural highlights" ), the need for reading glasses to see up close, or even memory loss. But every year my balls hang lower and lower. Just a few years ago it was mildly annoying, now it can be down right painful at times. The old boys tend to stick to my thighs, and eventually would pull away with a few steps. But now, oh no, they stay stuck. So getting up to move it feels like my sack is about to tear off.

And on hot summer days, trying to discretely peel them off my thighs becomes a monumental challenge. You can't just reach down with your hand and do it when in public so you have to get creative. I've tried the cowboy straddle walk to shake them loose, but that can draw just as much attention as a round of pocket ball.

Perhaps one day I will have mastered the art of saggy ball adjusting, but for now I'll just have to deal with the strange looks from people who have no idea why I seem to be shaking one leg and grimacing.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Went back to school at 38 y/o. Didn't make me feel old until a girl exactly half my age gave me her phone number. Felt like a creepy old dude.
I'm sure you felt creepy while secretly muttering 'score!' and putting said number in your pocket.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
pay phones
fake wood auto trim; landau roofs; wire wheel covers
wood boats
photos/video of Detroit in its heyday; Motown music
drive through liquor stores

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Did you find it? The hole, not the pic. That pic first showed up on Tosh.0 with enough blur for 3 pics.
Hell no. You may as well do something productive with a greater chance of success, like taking a pair of binoculars and scanning the sky to attempt to spot dead relatives waving at you from heaven.