Quantcast

Nostalgia (Things that make us feel old).

Tyler Durden

Monkey
Oct 7, 2003
Paper Street
Ok so after playing with you guys in the " Last person " thread. It has got me thinking. From time to time I have a moment where i feel I've dated my self ( In age that is ). You know the conversation when you catch yourself saying " When I was a kid" etc... I have a 3 yr old and find myself thinking about this often. Especially when I see other kids running in the streets, and parks cursing up storms with no regard. Wondering to myself was that me when I was young? Well anyway this is more about those nostalgic things, songs, TV shows, smells, and tastes of certain foods that can take you right back to those places. I take my daughter up to the mountain as often as possible. Hoping when she's older riding, and seeing the outdoors that she'll also have those same moments of being brought right back to these days.

Last edited:

Tyler Durden

Monkey
Oct 7, 2003
Paper Street
Sports.

I mean i can still play a few of them, but when Im done my recovery time is a lot longer than before.

other than that:

* Good Old Ashlyn Gere had that same effect.

Last edited:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I've recently been watching the original G.I. Joe cartoon series on Netflix. It's crazy that I find myself quoting a lot of the episodes even though I haven't seen them in probably over 20yrs.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
a toss up to:The fact that I was in College when the first Star Wars Movie came out or that I grew up Skating and was in a early skateboarding film(1970) with Tony Alva before it was known as dog town

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
a toss up to:The fact that I was in College when the first Star Wars Movie came out or that I grew up Skating and was in a early skateboarding film(1970) with Tony Alva before it was known as dog town
hair isn't on the list?

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I logged into my AOL account for the first time in ~5 years the other day... I'm not that old..

BTW college girls are still awesome in case you old farts were wondering ;)
I was sitting in the airport lounge a while ago and heard "you've got mail". I was seriously hoping that was a ringtone or someone like that.

The high water mark for me is Elvis costello's "my aim is true" which is now 35 years old. Ouch.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Remembering being told that I couldn't spec a Mozo Pro on a hardtail because 4" of travel was just too much.

Riding bikes with sqaure taper BB's and wondering why someone can't improve on it.

Last edited:

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
To clarify--- though the link is titled "too old", does "being on this planet too long" also suffice? Many of you know why I'd ask, as "too long" is a very personal matter.

Now, for "too old", well, to me, it's all a matter of mind. My wife of 15yrs still turns me on to no end. I'm very fortunate to still be with her. As for "things", hearing 70's music and having flashbacks to family trips to Mammoth for camping/fishing, or day trips to the beach and the smell of salt in the air. Holding the folding knife my uncle gave me, and realizing he's been gone for about 20yrs. Putting my boots on for yard work and realizing I've had them for almost 18yrs.

Isn't nostalgia great????

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
-Atari (Pong, Tank, Breakout...)
-Original Ninja Turtles
-Original Transformer toys
-Space Legos that didn't have a billion "special" parts where you can only build one thing with them.
-Star Wars figures where the light saber slid in and out of the arm (connected all the time).
-Little toys where the missiles actually fired (None of MY friends ever choked to death on them).
-Shooting each other with BB guns, not these BS Air-soft guns.
-Calculator watches
-Hanna Barbera cartoons

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
So far the only thing that has made me feel old was going to a concert after having not gone to one in 5 years or so and all of a sudden, I am the old guy. The middle age guy with his kid at the show... The old guy who doesn't fit in... when the 23 year old sitting next to me realizes that I am smoking a joint and says "It's good to see some of the older generation still out here."

That has been the only thing that made me feel old so far. Or at least not young. That was a bummer.

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I noticed the microwave at work has a rotating plate inside of it. I remember when I had to rotate my own food.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
We had our son's 8 year old friend over for dinner last night and he was talking about the shows that were on "when he was little". Hubby asked if he knew who Charlie Brown is and he said, "Chris Brown?" :facepalm:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
-Atari (Pong, Tank, Breakout...)
-Original Ninja Turtles
-Original Transformer toys
-Space Legos that didn't have a billion "special" parts where you can only build one thing with them.
-Star Wars figures where the light saber slid in and out of the arm (connected all the time).
-Little toys where the missiles actually fired (None of MY friends ever choked to death on them).
-Shooting each other with BB guns, not these BS Air-soft guns.
-Calculator watches
-Hanna Barbera cartoons
All of this. You aren't that much older than me, how do we have the same list of stuff?