Quantcast

Not chickens feathers, but bunnies

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
I was out in the back yard, mowing the yard for the first time in oh lets say about 8 months or so......

when I found 2 fuzzy little bunnies. The wife looked up some info, and they should be 7 to 10 days old. When the white on the top of there head dissapears they will be "ready to release to the wild"

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
madbob said:
I was out in the back yard, mowing the yard for the first time in oh lets say about 8 months or so......

when I found 2 fuzzy little bunnies. The wife looked up some info, and they should be 7 to 10 days old. When the white on the top of there head dissapears they will be "ready to release to the wild"

Just so you know, those probably werent orphaned and the mother is likely still nearby. Cottontails do not have burrows, and the younguns are just left in tall grass. Put them back outside unless you know the mother is dead.

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
my wife has already decided they are so cute..... and she want to keep them as pets. she's already left for the store to get the stuff to feed em. since we got a 5 mo old, she'll already be up for their feedings.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
madbob said:
my wife has already decided they are so cute..... and she want to keep them as pets. she's already left for the store to get the stuff to feed em. since we got a 5 mo old, she'll already be up for their feedings.
seriously. that's not so cool. put them back.... unless you have some coyotes lurking in the distance.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Unfortunately, now that they have been handled by humans (and the bunnies habitat has been mowed), even if they were put back, the mother would likely not take them back and they would die.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
wow, let me guess, you are also for drilling for oil in alaska right? amazing how humans haven't destroyed the earth yet completely. I bet a lion thinks your 5 mo old would be really cute in its stomach, would that make you feel better?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Connundrum1 said:
wow, let me guess, you are also for drilling for oil in alaska right? amazing how humans haven't destroyed the earth yet completely. I bet a lion thinks your 5 mo old would be really cute in its stomach, would that make you feel better?
Who ya speaking to noob?

:clue:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DH Diva said:
Unfortunately, now that they have been handled by humans (and the bunnies habitat has been mowed), even if they were put back, the mother would likely not take them back and they would die.
I havent heard that about rabbits, and thats mostly a myth with birds, except for a few species from what Ive heard. They should be easy enough to raise and probably stand a good chance of survival if released. Rabbits dont have "feelings" so its not like the mother is going to be hurt about it, and they reproduce really quickly. She will cease to lactate within a day or two and be ready to breed and have new kittens (yes, baby rabbits are called kittens) within a month. No big loss, but people should know better than to take wild animals into their homes.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
BurlyShirley said:
I havent heard that about rabbits, and thats mostly a myth with birds, except for a few species from what Ive heard. They should be easy enough to raise and probably stand a good chance of survival if released. Rabbits dont have "feelings" so its not like the mother is going to be hurt about it, and they reproduce really quickly. She will cease to lactate within a day or two and be ready to breed and have new kittens (yes, baby rabbits are called kittens) within a month. No big loss, but people should know better than to take wild animals into their homes.
Regardless, the yards been mowed, the babies were removed, my guess is mom is splitsville and if they were put back at this point, most likely they would die.

I agree, that they should be release once able, or even turned over to a wild animal rescue group that is trained to care for wild animals in a way that they can be released again successfully.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
madbob said:
I'm gunna raise them till they are big enough to make slippers.
Hmmmm...........
would that make you a redneck for raising, killing, then makin cool clothes outa the rabbit, or would that make you a girlie man for havin bunny slippers? :think: :confused:
Screw it, make the slippers!:D

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
I was a little worried when the bunnies didn't want to eat from the syringe this morning, or for lunch, but tonight they escaped from the box, and were running free through the house. Inspection of their new home revealed that they had lapped up the milk left for them in a small bowl, and eaten the leaves of lettuce.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
madbob said:
I was a little worried when the bunnies didn't want to eat from the syringe this morning, or for lunch, but tonight they escaped from the box, and were running free through the house. Inspection of their new home revealed that they had lapped up the milk left for them in a small bowl, and eaten the leaves of lettuce.
Just FYI, if you're interested in doing a good job here, dont feed them lettuce. Niether IceBurg nor Romaine have much in the way of nutritional value. What you can do is give them Kale, Clover, Endive, Escarole, Bok Choy, Carrots and other things. Maybe spinach, but thats expensive. Giving them lettuce is the equivalent of water.

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
BurlyShirley said:
Just FYI, if you're interested in doing a good job here, dont feed them lettuce. Niether IceBurg nor Romaine have much in the way of nutritional value. What you can do is give them Kale, Clover, Endive, Escarole, Bok Choy, Carrots and other things. Maybe spinach, but thats expensive. Giving them lettuce is the equivalent of water.

Thanks much, they have a baby carrot in their box with them, but they are so small they may have trouble eating it. The wife is going to cut it up or shred it for them. we are also feeding them canned milk replacement for kittens.