Quantcast

Not good... not good at all....

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
..and they don't have to give you 'fair market value' either...

Supreme Court Rules Cities May Seize Homes
The Associated Press | June 23 | HOPE YEN

WASHINGTON -- A divided Supreme Court ruled Thursday that local governments may seize people's homes and businesses against their will for private development in a decision anxiously awaited in communities where economic growth often is at war with individual property rights.

The 5-4 ruling _ assailed by dissenting Justice Sanday Day O'Connor as handing "disproportionate influence and power" to the well-heeled in America _ was a defeat for some Connecticut residents whose homes are slated for destruction to make room for an office complex. They had argued that cities have no right to take their land except for projects with a clear public use, such as roads or schools, or to revitalize blighted areas.

As a result, cities now have wide power to bulldoze residences for projects such as shopping malls and hotel complexes in order to generate tax revenue.

Writing for the court, Justice John Paul Stevens said local officials, not federal judges, know best in deciding whether a development project will benefit the community. States are within their rights to pass additional laws restricting condemnations if residents are overly burdened, he said.

"The city has carefully formulated an economic development that it believes will provide appreciable benefits to the community, including _ but by no means limited to _ new jobs and increased tax revenue," Stevens wrote in an opinion joined by Justice Anthony Kennedy, David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen G. Breyer.

"It is not for the courts to oversee the choice of the boundary line nor to sit in review on the size of a particular project area," he said.

O'Connor, who has often been a key swing vote at the court, issued a stinging dissent, arguing that cities should not have unlimited authority to uproot families, even if they are provided compensation, simply to accommodate wealthy developers.

"Any property may now be taken for the benefit of another private party, but the fallout from this decision will not be random," she wrote. "The beneficiaries are likely to be those citizens with disproportionate influence and power in the political process, including large corporations and development firms."

Connecticut residents involved in the lawsuit expressed dismay and pledged to keep fighting.

"It's a little shocking to believe you can lose your home in this country," said resident Bill Von Winkle, who said he would refuse to leave his home, even if bulldozers showed up. "I won't be going anywhere. Not my house. This is definitely not the last word."

Scott Bullock, an attorney for the Institute for Justice representing the families, added: "A narrow majority of the court simply got the law wrong today and our Constitution and country will suffer as a result."

At issue was the scope of the Fifth Amendment, which allows governments to take private property through eminent domain if the land is for "public use."

Susette Kelo and several other homeowners in a working-class neighborhood in New London, Conn., filed suit after city officials announced plans to raze their homes for a riverfront hotel, health club and offices.

New London officials countered that the private development plans served a public purpose of boosting economic growth that outweighed the homeowners' property rights, even if the area wasn't blighted.

"We're pleased," attorney Edward O'Connell, who represents New London Development Corporation, said in response to the ruling.

The lower courts had been divided on the issue, with many allowing a taking only if it eliminates blight.

O'Connor was joined in her opinion by Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, as well as Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.

Nationwide, more than 10,000 properties were threatened or condemned in recent years, according to the Institute for Justice, a Washington public interest law firm representing the New London homeowners.

New London, a town of less than 26,000, once was a center of the whaling industry and later became a manufacturing hub. More recently the city has suffered the kind of economic woes afflicting urban areas across the country, with losses of residents and jobs.

The New London neighborhood that will be swept away includes Victorian-era houses and small businesses that in some instances have been owned by several generations of families. Among the New London residents in the case is a couple in their 80s who have lived in the same home for more than 50 years.

City officials envision a commercial development that would attract tourists to the Thames riverfront, complementing an adjoining Pfizer Corp. research center and a proposed Coast Guard museum.

New London was backed in its appeal by the National League of Cities, which argued that a city's eminent domain power was critical to spurring urban renewal with development projects such Baltimore's Inner Harbor and Kansas City's Kansas Speedway.

Under the ruling, residents still will be entitled to "just compensation" for their homes as provided under the Fifth Amendment. However, Kelo and the other homeowners had refused to move at any price, calling it an unjustified taking of their property.

The case was one of six resolved by justices on Thursday. Still pending at the high court are cases dealing with the constitutionality of government Ten Commandments displays and the liability of Internet file-sharing services for clients' illegal swapping of copyrighted songs and movies. The Supreme Court next meets on Monday.

The case is Kelo et al v. City of New London, 04-108.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
The American Dream isn't quite what it used to be is it?

On the bright side, at least the benefits of increased tax revenue will help protect my freedoms and crap. :think:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
That's really too bad, no one likes to be forced out of their homes. While these homeowners will be paid a fair price for their homes, I'm sure some of them are a bit older and don't want to have their comfortable lives interrupted by having to deal with finding a new house and moving...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Looks like America and its lust for manifest destiny and empirialism are still alive and well. Its just part of the long history of taking what we want. Damned are those who try to stand in the way. First it happened to Native Americans and it goes on and on and on....

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
jdschall said:
How does a box of glass beads and trinkets sound?

I'm curious what a "fair price" is for a property in what they're calling a "blighted" area. Certainly not enough to buy that same home in a more "normal" well-to-do area.

I'm sure there are some Boston area residents who will remember a few years ago when the mayor suggested taking property in the Fenway area to help the Red Sox build a new stadium. I guess now it will be easier for a theft plan such as that to go through.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
It is happening here in South Florida as well. VERY scary. A fully functional building with an ONGOING business is about to be booted under eminent domain so the area can be REDEVELOPED. The scary thing in our situation is that the developer originally submitted plans building around the property that was being held out, but the CITY said NO.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
And people think that there is nothing wrong with the gov't.

This is what the gov't can and will do to it's own citizens. Little by little we loose our rights, and now our homes.

But why worry about it? Why stand up and shout that this (and so many other things) is wrong? It's not effecting me personally. YET.

Wake up people. This country is no longer "By the people and for the people". (As if it ever really was).

blt2ride said:
While these homeowners will be paid a fair price for their homes...
That's not the issue. The issue is that the gov't can and will control our lives. This is essentially the gov telling the citizens where they can and can't live. And that just ain't right.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ciaran said:
And people think that there is nothing wrong with the gov't.

This is what the gov't can and will do to it's own citizens. Little by little we loose our rights, and now our homes.

But why worry about it? Why stand up and shout that this (and so many other things) is wrong? It's not effecting me personally. YET.

Wake up people. This country is no longer "By the people and for the people". (As if it ever really was).
I wonder if the Bush or Kennedy compounds would ever be confiscated?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
this kind of stuff really helps to fuel hatred towards the government.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
SkaredShtles said:
It's a good thing the founders threw in a Second Amendment.............
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

So when are you moving to Idaho?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jdschall said:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

So when are you moving to Idaho?
The founders fomented armed rebellion for what could be argued less egrigious violations than this. I'm just saying that they were fairly forward thinking.

It'll take alot more than this in today's world to get people fed up, but it's still good to know there is some insurance that there's always the option of open rebellion.

Hmmm..... that kind of sounds like something out of Episode IV. :D

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
SkaredShtles said:
It'll take alot more than this in today's world to get people fed up, but it's still good to know there is some insurance that there's always the option of open rebellion.
I was just joking ya about Idaho and yeah you're right, it would take a lot more than a few houses getting 'dozed.

I have many more comments I could make but they may not be appropriate for this particular forum. Basically I blame it on liberals being liberal and generally tolerent of others. What the world needs are a bunch of rightwing-liberals (is there such a thing?)

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
jdschall said:
I was just joking ya about Idaho and yeah you're right, it would take a lot more than a few houses getting 'dozed.

I have many more comments I could make but they may not be appropriate for this particular forum. Basically I blame it on liberals being liberal and generally tolerent of others. What the world needs are a bunch of rightwing-liberals (is there such a thing?)
Why would you want a Fascist State?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
SkaredShtles said:
It's a good thing the founders threw in a Second Amendment.............
The funny (and sad) thing about this ruling is that if in any fashion affected the laws governing assault rifles, it would be THE news story of the year, and would garner the criticism of everyone and their mother. So basically property rights don't mean jack, but the right to own guns does. :help:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Rip said:
Why would you want a Fascist State?

Not fascist. Just a state where liberal minded people are liberal but stand up for themselves at the same time... Sort of the political equivalent to those crazy tree huggers that chain themselves to trees, what ever that would be. Sort of the walk softly, carry a big stick premise, I suppose.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I understand wanting to doze the houses that were in the 9th ward in New Orleans (I have seen the inside of some of them, no hope to be had). But when you want to kick people out for your own reason, then you should have to pay.

I recall a farmer in Santa Cruz that got $20 million per acre for his farm that was to become office space. Not a bad deal if you ask me.