Quantcast

Not like the other Clipless pedal thread!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
all right i have a question, and was wondering if i can get your opinion on clipless pedals. i was thinking about going clipless but haven't totally convinced myself yet maybe you can help and convince me. Then i was wondering what kind of pedals i should get that will hold up. I was thinking the mallet C or something along that line.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
just be sure to snag a pair of shoes that are skate sole style. It makes the interface more familiar to you than some stiff soled shoe.
SixSixOne, Oakley, Lake, Answer, Shimano and Specialized all make a skate style sole with clipless plate.

I've used Shimano's for years and now run Mallet M's and love both. The Mallet M's have a retarded amount of mud clearance and it makes them way easier to get into if you hike a bike or drag a foot in a gooey corner.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I run clipless for everything and have never had a problem. I even run them for FR stunt stuff.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I run Time control Z's and Specialized Sawpit shoes. I used Shimano for years, but the Time's are superior.

+++
added pedal power/ more efficient
feet can't bounce off the pedals in rocky terrain
The stiffer soled clipless shoes reduce foot fatigue

----
Take some time to learn
can be difficult to get back in pedals on rocky terrain
can be a crutch for a lack of skill (cheater bunnyhops)
some problems in mud.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How are the Times better, explain? I've run Shimano for years and never had a real problem.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Kanter said:
How are the Times better, explain? I've run Shimano for years and never had a real problem.
My big complaint with the Shimanos is this: To get a nice engagement action (clipping in) you clip out too easily...and accidentaly and at the worst moments. If you set it so you don't clip out accidentally, it is really hard to clip in. I'd run the shimano's with all the preload backed off so I could get into them decently and hope I wouldn't unclip midair.
The limited float is also an issue as I like to move my feet around a bit.

So the Time's despite the lack of adjustment have a nicer clip in and out feel and more float. They are supposed to be better in mud, but it is too dry here to put that to the test.

This is all kind of a personal opinion kinda thing, no right or wrong answer, but there's my 2 cents:p

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
To my understanding, Atom Lab makes a pedal that clips in but is very much like a platform. Very easy to get in out like a flat but gives you pedaling and stability at the same time.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
tomvan72 said:
To my understanding, Atom Lab makes a pedal that clips in but is very much like a platform. Very easy to get in out like a flat but gives you pedaling and stability at the same time.

It looks like its based on the Shimano clipless system

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
I think it is a bit different. There is not as much of an engagement. It willstill be more like a flat pedal. I have not tried them yet. Just heard about them from atom lab Mike. I hope to try some soon.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
tomvan72 said:
Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from Atomlab...maybe that's just me. Also, their "system" is basically an SPD with some spikes on it. Bogus. First off, no pedal is going to grip like a flat at all and still work well clipless. Second, I would think that if the spikes are long enough to do anything, they would probably interfere with lots of shoes and make it harder to get in and out.

I use 647s and love them. Shimano pedals are all I use right now. I like the action and they have been very durable. I only have problems coming unclipped accidentally if I am running way too little tension or my cleats are very old and worn out. Any shoes will work. I use XC race shoes, which I like but I could see the advantage of having something with more protection (like Hematomas or Sawpits). At first I though it was unnecessary...until I slammed my ankles a few times. I am hesitant to use skate-style clipless shoes. I like stiff soles and light construction. I ride and race in the rain sometimes. Skate style shoes would weigh about 30 pounds in that stuff.

I ran flats for DH and clips for XC and road for a long time. Last season I started using clips for DH. I think flats are fun, but clips are less annoying. When riding with flat pedals, especially at races, I was having problems with my feet coming off or being out of position etc. Clips control that. I don't find there to be a huge power advantage for DH (road and XC, where you get long climbs and seated stretches, are different). I rarely ever concentrate on my pedalling style in a DH run- I just stand up and hammer, putting power into the downstroke.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Zark said:
can be a crutch for a lack of skill (cheater bunnyhops)
I see it as being able to react later and ride faster. Instead of focusing ahead of time on the extra motion you'll have to make to bunny hop with flat pedals, clips give you the time-frame for last second hopping decisions.

I second the suggestion for times. Superior to shimano and lighter then mallet c's.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
tomvan72 said:

Kind of funny, I looked them over and seemed good,,But, the post on rm in the summer about them went kaploot ( i asked for an honest opinion from somone not sponsored and it = nothing). My guess is they might work okay ,but like 4 people use them? Also, they are overpriced and unproven in my book.
Not to bash mallets but I couldn't unclip with them, my heel hit the bike befor I could escape (never again, shoulder pain).
I went back to my old red shimanos and love them, they do unclip at the wrong time occasionally but who cares, you can get out.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Banshee Rider said:
I see it as being able to react later and ride faster. Instead of focusing ahead of time on the extra motion you'll have to make to bunny hop with flat pedals, clips give you the time-frame for last second hopping decisions.

I second the suggestion for times. Superior to shimano and lighter then mallet c's.
I see your point, I'm just saying knowing how to bunnyhop properly is important too. Relying on the pedals can get you in trouble, like say you break a pedal in a race run and were relying on them to make it over a nasty square edge.:dead:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
to tell u the truth i think i can bunny hop higher with flats but the spds allow me to just reduce the weight im applying on the pedals over square edge sections...i rarly bunnyhop anything while dhing i just unweight and roll over stuff if that makes anysense..i can tell u though that switching to spds has improved my riding more than anything ive ever done except for mabye switching to super low rise bars but i did that in the same day so i think its a combo of the two

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah i was loooking at those too. However does anyone have any say on any other platform, clipless pedal. Also i was thinking about either runing the oakley, shimano, or the new specialized shoes, has anyone tried any of these

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
zmtber said:
like i was saying has anyone seen and tryed any of these?
They look pretty similar to my sawpits, but without the ankle armor. I like mine, but fit is a very subjective thing.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Kanter said:
Are the sawpits or buzzsaws good "hike a bike" shoes?
Yeah, they're pretty good on the rocky stream crossings I have to portage. The soles are pretty gummy.

My friend had his soles delaminate on him pretty early, but he seems to destroy EVERYTHING quickly:p

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
mallets with 661's here. Want to try the oakley shoe. Cleat placement looks more recessed