Quantcast

Not Monkeys

We got strong winds today, followed by considerable rain. The combination strewed branches and tree trunks rather liberally. I was walking through the dim woods just at the tail of dusk and became aware of a much higher than usual level of noise - cracks and pops, irregular and diffuse in space. I decided that it was neither turkeys nor deer, and discarded the idea of a group of miniature monkeys. After some minutes of standing stock still, I came to the conclusion that it was the red oaks shedding their biennial load of acorns.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
johnbryanpeters said:
We got strong winds today, followed by considerable rain. The combination strewed branches and tree trunks rather liberally. I was walking through the dim woods just at the tail of dusk and became aware of a much higher than usual level of noise - cracks and pops, irregular and diffuse in space. I decided that it was neither turkeys nor deer, and discarded the idea of a group of miniature monkeys. After some minutes of standing stock still, I came to the conclusion that it was the red oaks shedding their biennial load of acorns.
Or it was gnomes playing with very small fireworks..

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It was a cougar stalking you. You gotta be careful there buddy. Who is going to bring the bacon to the monkeyfest if you get mauled?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
jdcamb said:
It was a cougar stalking you. You gotta be careful there buddy. Who is going to bring the bacon to the monkeyfest if you get mauled?
Nope.

The only sound that a cougar would make that you'd ever hear is when it's teeth sink into your neck.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Growing up we had a clan of particularly angry squirrels living in the yard. If you got too close to them they would throw acorns and other things on you. It got a bit dangerous under the big old apple tree. Being a kid it provided hours of entertainment returning fire.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
jdcamb said:
I was stalked by a cougar once, but it was my friend's mom so I left it alone...