Quantcast

Not my frame...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country

I walked out to the edge of my open garage to get my bike that I had set their earlier to hit my jump a few times. I am about to pick it up and I noticed the piece that joins the seatstays to the seattube had cracked in the center of the weld and popped out. The weld didn't pentrate that internal part on the seatstay side. :eek: This is definately teh suck!

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
dude get a vagrant and race hardtail DH with me

Have the Azonic hardtails not always had breakage issues? The frames are pretty light, right?

Maybe the bullit sabotaged the frame because it was jealous

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
mid weight- 35lbs.

Aren't vagrants really heavy? This should be covered under warranty right? I have had the frame for about 1.5-2 years.

edit: actually about a year. I picked it up after my parts were put on the morning we headed up to WA (early summer last year).

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
bjanga said:
vagrants are heavy, mine comes in at 35 too

Any idea when it blew up?
Oh. I don't think 35lbs. is that bad, although lighter would be nice. I want something with similar geo.

It could have happend on the way home from picking some papers up from my charter school. I jump off everything (though there isn't a lot - even a shortage of curbs :eek:). There are 2 little doubles on the way home (not hard hits). Then a small one next to my driveway I do a lot.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
The DJ is probably responsible for the difference, I have a Z1

Was the Evolution replaced by the Fiend? Their site has barely any info. I remember wanting an Evolution when they came out with them.

I found some info on Cambria. The Vagrant is a bit slacker and half a pound or so heavier.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The Vagrant is a Dh hardtail. I want a lower slalom like frame that can handle DH. I think I need a Chameleon. It's BB is only .2" taller than the Evolutions. The TT is pretty close.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
No warranty. Azonic said they only have a year warranty. I've had it for like a year and 2 months. Just my luck...

I really want a chameleon, but my friend at my lbs said if I could break an evolution, i could probably break a chameleon and they only have a 1 year warranty. He thinks I should maybe get a chromoly frame.

What do you monkies think? Do you think that was my fault or Azonics? Are chromoly frames really heavy?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I don't want a slack bike. I want something that has not much higer than a 12" bb, reasonable HA, etc. I want it for dj,dh,xc,ds,urban. I may end up with a pike 409 for it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Patrick, you've checked out my .243, right? You should consider one of those as your next hard tail. Very strong and very versatile. I think they would fit you and your riding very well. You can run a dual crown fork for DH (did you get the Super T?), and your DJ for urban DJ, etc.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
twofourtythrees are mean bikes. Ciaran, do you have the DH or the FR? I looked into the differences a month ago, but can you run a dual crown on the FR? The DH weighs a pound more . . .

brider, you should be browsing posts in the DJ forum. People have all kinds of sweet builds in there.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I really don't need to be able to put a dc fork on it. I may end up with a pike for it (95-140mm). How much is that SL and why is there one size?

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Have you checked out a Black Market Mob? 12.25" BB height, 5lbs, cromoly. Sounds pretty sick on paper and all I've heard is good reviews.

And no, cromoly isn't necessarily heavy. Staats makes stupidly light race frames from it, and at most a given cromoly frame will be maybe a pound heavier than your Azonic, and you can save about 2lbs by switching your DJ for the Pike. Plus steel frames don't have catastrophic failures like aluminum. And they have a little flex unlike the rigidity of aluminum frames which will make it a little more comfy.

monke880

Chimp
Dec 11, 2005
Ojai, SoCal
The DOC isn't slack. It's slack for a DJ bike, which it sounds like what you want. It's like 68-69. Rather than like 71 for more "real" dedicated DJ bikes.

monke880

Chimp
Dec 11, 2005
Ojai, SoCal
Yup. Adjustable dropouts are baller and the frame is sick. You'd like it, especially for an everything hardtail. Don't you have a Bullit already?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mtnbrider said:
I do, but I like to downhill a hardtail too. Some places are probably more on a hardtail, like Mt. Wilson.
When are you coming down this way again? I'll let you try out the .243.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I rode it at Wilson that time. It's probably nice for pure DH, but for me, it's wayyy too tall, especially with the super 7".

I want to do everything on this, including technical street riding. The .243 sl looks nice, but why is there only 1 size?