Quantcast

Not quite Patineto, but...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
If you've ever bought one of those Nightrider bar mounts for your nightriding lights: you probably know how they suck.

Its really pretty stupid, because most bars have a sweep, yet the bracket faces straight forward, with no way to adjust it.

But the thing isnt totally useless. I chopped off the bar mounting part with a hacksaw, and mounted it to this here steel bracket.

Anyone who has a pike knows that there's a fender mount that comes integrated in the fork, but you could also just drive in a star flanged nut to achieve the same type of mounting.

The steel bracket is malleable enough that I can adjust where the light is pointing, and it keeps it off my handle bars. Havent trail tested it yet, but looks like it will work pretty well from preliminary tests.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Changleen said:
Hopefully the steel isn't so thin that it bends when you go over bumps.
Nah, its pretty tough, i think. If it ends up bending, Ill just use some thicker stuff next time.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
N8 said:
Mud gets everywhere on the lover part of the bike dorksters...

:rolleyes:
So when you follow to close to the guy in front of you because you're staring at his ass. You get mud all over the "lover" part of your bike. Inversely if you rode behind him in the winter you would get his salty spray on you too? You really need to be careful when you mix love and riding. By the way who says dorkster??

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Christ almighty, just when you think things might have reached rock bottom on the retardometer.........
Edit- looks like it should go alright Shirl. Give us a report.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
black noise said:
Burly, won't it jiggle up and down when you ride? Unless the steel is especially stiff.

Nifty innovation though.
Just playing around outside it doesnt. Stays sturdier than I thought it would, actually, but like i said, I might get some thicker stuff if it starts getting squirrely.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Where did you get the piece of steel? Good idea by the way. I hate extra crap on my bar. Plus being low you prolly get a good light spray. Any shadow problems? Is the light a flood or spot?

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
BurlyShirley said:
Nah, its pretty tough, i think. If it ends up bending, Ill just use some thicker stuff next time.
What is the Spirit....!!!!!

I love the "not quite patineto" Tittle, but I beleive you are right on the mark..

in fact a few years back i try to start a whole Movement call "Pennytech" Like in achiving a goal with out resoursing to complicated sourses..

anyway just for this you are consider a menber of the club.

congratulations on the attempt, let us know how it works.

one little critic not to blow your bubble, but the bottom of the forks (the part that moves) get to see far more action and jolts than the rest of the bike (reason why you have a shock in the first place0 so maybe the longevity of the bulbs will be compromise, maybe not a big deal and you just need to try, and don't let the N8 whatevers of the world slow you down, for every inovator is always a million "critics" (Lossers if you ask me, until they try their own ideas and see how dificult is to make something never made before) seating on the sideline waiting for somebody else make something they can critizize...

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
patineto said:

one little critic not to blow your bubble, but the bottom of the forks (the part that moves) get to see far more action and jolts than the rest of the bike (reason why you have a shock in the first place0 so maybe the longevity of the bulbs will be compromise, maybe not a big deal and you just need to try, and don't let the N8 whatevers of the world slow you down, for every inovator is always a million "critics" (Lossers if you ask me, until they try their own ideas and see how dificult is to make something never made before) seating on the sideline waiting for somebody else make something they can critizize...
Maybe isolating the light with a dampening material of some kind would help. If it is a vibration that concerns you even some rubber from an intertube may help.

Good stuff Burly. I am tempted to show some pictures of the bike-stand my buddy made me for my birthday this year. It began life as a Motive bike from Costco.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
patineto said:

one little critic not to blow your bubble, but the bottom of the forks (the part that moves) get to see far more action and jolts than the rest of the bike (reason why you have a shock in the first place) so maybe the longevity of the bulbs will be compromise, maybe not a big deal and you just need to try,
Man two upps in one week...(the Function follows form and then this)

I need to correct my self, you locate the braket on the proper place at the fork crown and not at the bridge (It may touch the arch, but maybe not)

two helpful ideas...
if you need to connect. a.k.a. screw something at the bottom of your fork crown you can always use a star nut backward,(with the arrow shape going upwards so it does not come down) this oviuslly will provide a really strong mounting point for a bracket, just make sure is not to heavy and forward since it can break and also alter the steering response..

the second choice and also some of bike hystory, in the old days when bikes forks were kind of weak the racers in Colombia (chessy roads with million potholes) use to insert a spike of really strong wood at the bottom of the steer tube, that way if the fork ever fail they have a few seconds to slow down before a face plant,, oviuslly that same piece of wood is a exlent place for a big wood screw to hold sometime very firmlly.

my solution for the light placement came from a English thinker (one of the many reasons why i enjoy to share my ideas since they can be useful to somebody else some time and someday) and it make perfect sense for a heavy bike like my tandem but not much for a Jumper type rabbit.

just take a look at the second stem holding the light, works perfect plus you can mount big bar panniers and extra crap..

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If it's too jiggly, just heat it. It looks like the steel should be thick enough, you might just need to treat it a little.

I like the idea, that's good work.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Check the clearance between your bracket and the arch on the lowers when you bottom out. If it all checks out then you got one slick set up. Mabye make a B.S. light mount v2 out of alum. for the weight weenies out there.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Great idea, but see if you can mount up a helmet light in similar fashion. That is so low and close to the ground that you might (probably) will get a ton of shadows from rocks. The height change probably matters more for a weaker light, but I've had much better luck with helmet/head lights than bar lights. However, I think the light is better protected where you have it there. That is probably a much superior set up for smooth trails in the woods with lots of low, overhanging branches. Those low branches could end a helmet light pretty quick.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
wow .. good idea.. my luck though the nuts come loose and the light goes into my tire.... make sure those bolts are tight!!!!