Quantcast

not quite there yet

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Decided to try something different on my lunch time ride today. Rather than going out and just riding a "good" route for an hour (by good route I mean something with a good mix of climbing, descending, and flats while avoiding traffic as much as possible), I decided to take the flatest, fastest route possible and see if I could average 20mph for the ride.

Not quite. The 8 or so traffic lights that I hit hurt my time, but even so I don't think I would have made my goal. On a flat I could hold 22mph, but if there was any noticable grade, I had a hard time keeping it over 20.

All told - 19.9 miles in 1:06 for an average speed of 18.08mph.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I logged lots of time on the trainer and a few mtnbike rides during the winter... kept me in pretty good shape as I'm WAY ahead of where I normally am this time of year.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
A few years back I used to measure myself on a particular 20 mile route that had hills, headwinds and tailwinds. It took a lot of work to be able to average that 20 for 20... I'll look up the thread. :oink:

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Very impressive. I am working on my base now. Early spring I was just don't mountain rides & having fun. I would like to be racing cross this fall so I'm looking at this to be my "winter" or base mileage time. Late summer I'll start working on running, working up to sprints in September & early October.

Maybe I'll make a post about this and get more feedback. Sorry for derailling your thread

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Today I road 45 miles of general countryside - flat in town for about 6 miles on either end and primarily up hill to 22.5 miles and back down since it was an out and back. Wind was favorable coming back but going out it wasn't much fun. I ended up at 15.6 MPH average. I can't really say if that is good or not since I took my 23mm Vitorias Open Corsas off and put on Schwalbe Maratnon Plus puncture resistant 26mm touring tires. They have about a 3/8" core of rubber and a tread pattern. Slow rollers but the roads around here have not been cleared of winter debris and I want to get rolling. :)