Quantcast

Not Schladming WC thread

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Back in Leogang where guys can win without a chain, the people are friendly, it only needs only one cloud for rain and the mountains look good.

The facts:
Leogang is not Schladming.
Gwin won there last year without a chain.
Dt Swiss got some serious street credibility there.
Minnaar won his second world championship in Leogang.
Bryceland got his first WC win with me yelling in the finish area.
And a certain Canadian legend won the series here in 2013. #longlivechainsaw

Despite the bikeparkiness of the track, the racing is usually really damn good.
Times are tight and the riders go all out.
But it is definitely not Schladming.

Being 190cm tall myself and riding a way too small DH bike for many years, I can't do anything else then cheer for Mr. Greg Minnaar. He seems to be back in form.
Gwin is always dangerous, but there are lots of dangerous dudes on these track as Peyton Manning, Corner Fearoff, Gas to Podium and many others are fast as fuck at the moment.

It looks like a wet weekend for the Leogangbang which will make it interesting.
Bring on the racing!

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
pretty much this possibly troy and hart

would love to see connor or remi get on the boxes

tahnee (hi bb if your reading this txt me back xD!) still has a shit of a shoulder ya?
It's more of a elbow problem I thought.
Any news on the Geeman? His right arm and shoulder definitely wasn't in good shape after the crash.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/essential-guide-leogang-dh-world-cup-2016.html

It's raining there today.
Weather will be wet on Saturday and Sunday aswell.
British conditions the whole weekend.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Call them and tell them to put in a bid. After all the upgrades they did for skiing worlds years ago, they'll just say "meh" and go back to eating fondue.
The park has been growing in recent years, new trails and features for this year too. But afaik the park is run by somebody different than the organizers of the legacy WC races.

BTW Fondue goes to Lenzerheide, in Schladming it will be Steirerkasnockerln.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I gotta say, for all the "Not Schladming" hate this course gets, there was some pretty rad offcamber greasy rooty goodness there. Looking forward to the racing.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Looks tough, especially in the wet. Can't remember laughing so much at Claudio. Good one. His line choices were terrible after seeing Gwin's.

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
Stoked for the new lines, challenging! Was the "stump art" meant as a Stevie tribute? Couldn't catch what was on them.

Cheering for Brayton to have a good result here. Somewhat biased, picked him up for my fantasy DH team to replace Stevie and talk about a wildcard finish... pretty awesome for a rider with no big sponsor next to his name on the start list!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Ahh yes, the endearing cluster fuck that is UCI event scheduling. Month'n half with no races, then 2 races in 7 days. Reminds me of my of secks life, or general lack thereof (shout out to the good people who run Hamster!)

UCI bashing and dad essential websites aside, there is an important bike rally scheduled for the weekend in the graceful Alps of Austria. A place where Stevie put his indelible mark on the WC circuit, Rat man finally captured his first WC win, and Jeebus used an ethereal fart to help propel his favorite rider to a stunning victory sans chain. So how will the podium look on Sunday? Let's find out!

* "Leogang" is actually Swahili for Troupe of Lions

* Vienna Sausages do not come from Vienna. The term is just a general description for "wiener sausages", and in truth, they are just stumpy little bitch hot dogs. On the other side of the pond, our hot dogs come in a manly "bun length". Just sayin (i.e. 'Merrica)

* Vienna cookies are also not actually from Vienna. They are obviously made by elves, which means they come from Iceland, and I would presume Bjork has written a largely incoherent song about them at some point.

* Vienna coffee...now we're talking. That wonderful concoction is originally from Vienna and one of the world's most powerful colonic accelerants.

* A certain insane politico spent time in Austria as a miserable hipster...like the Drumpf, he also fancied himself a self-taught architect.

* Apparently Mother Nature was on quite a bender last weekend and forgot to give Fort Dick a golden shower as per the usual. Well the bitch finally woke up, and she's intending to empty her swollen bladder on Leogang this weekend. Thanks Cantori.

* Even the former King of Austria (Joseph Franz) was a fan of Stevie Smith

* I checked, and its confirmed that Leogang still isn't Schladming. And based on the current UCI scheduling trend, 2018 will feature 2 races: Cairns in early April and Leogang in late September.

* This was awhile back, so things have changed somewhat since then, but as demonstrated at the 1:45" mark, its a reminder that the woods sections do have some teeth, especially when oozing with root gravy -
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/144530/ (<-- rad to see one Mr. Brayton back in the day, but I'd strongly encourage you to mute the sound)

* This stuff kicks a lot of ass

So now that we know the background information, we can move on to the podium predictions:

1. Edward Masters - What, why and how you ask? It's simple...see any resemblance to a certain former Austrian King?

That's right you flogs, the King has Fuckin Returned! Suck it J.R.R.R.R.R.R Tolkien! Finally backing up his ever improving qualifying times, The Ed jumps ship from Bergamont and joins the Syndicate as the obvious replacement for the soon retiring Steve (Fucking) Peat. Under the careful tutelage of GM (riding) and Ratman (sailing), The Ed steps up his game in a big way and takes the 2nd win of the season for SCB.

2. Captain Georg Von Trap - Another surprise celebrity appearance, and this time from Austria's own highly esteemed naval officer (which is awesome since Austria is landlocked) and productive baby maker. Sporting a crabon Pennyfarthing, the massive 59" front wheel allows to him roll over entire forests and jump sections with only 3 pedal strokes. The problem? Stopping. With the monstorous leverage created by the small moon on the front of his bike, he cooks his hybrid Saint lever/Gustav brake set and is soon headed off to the Mediterranean sea at speeds in excess of 200 kph. Thankfully, being the intrepid sailor that he is, this is akin to throwing a hasenpfeffer in a brier patch.

3. The Drumpf - the Aryan athlete extraordinaire just can't get enough WC action, especially when it's so close to his ancestral home. After making a dramatic debut at Lourdes in what many would consider a hostile takeover, the Drumpf returns to the WC scene, this time on a diesel BMW R75 motorcycle, replete with a sidecar, which barely contains the great bulk of Chris Christie, who many presume will be his future running mate/latex clad basement gimp. Putting the "ass" in "asset", Christie's extra mass is hugely beneficial in getting to the bottom quickly, but it soon becomes an impediment when the Drumpf tries to slow down his hate chariot, and the pair of chalky chunkies follow Von Trap's path to the sea. As promising as this sounds, Christie's pinniped genetic heritage allows them to float through the Straits of Gibraltar and eventually back to lower Manhattan.

4. @sethimus makes the quick jaunt from Barvaria and shocks the mountain bike world with a podium finish. Even more impressive when one considers he was rockin' a Sprokets murdered out kit and stopped mid-run to poop on a fan's chest. Der Shizer!

5. Nikolai Tesla - Riding the latest Kidwoo endorsed product, Austria's eccentric engineer smashes his way on to the last step aboard an electric DH bike, screaming "suck it Edison!!!" . The DH forum on Ridemonkey subsequently melts and linked directly to MTBR forums.

Zee Fraus:

1. Rach - going for a chainless win this time. Winning margin is reduced to a measly 7 seconds

2. Manon - stay on your bike Manon!

3. Tracey - pumps it up real hard and holds on :brows:

4. Julie Andrews - singing about hillz all the way down

5. Katy Kurd - mud & UK riders, like bourbon and gunz, they just go together

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Stoked for the new lines, challenging! Was the "stump art" meant as a Stevie tribute? Couldn't catch what was on them.
It's a kinda cool hall of fame for the winners on this track. Like the Gondolas with names of the skiers that won the "Streif".
Not sure about the other stumps there, though. They should pull them out and revegetate.

Having ridden there lots, I hink they should just move to the left side of the mountain into the woods and just make a "Val di sole 2". Since this track is so far out on the right of the mountain there will always be the need of that motorway in the middlesection to come back to the center of the hill which imo is a real shame.

On the other hand it's amazing to watch the WC there. There's a bar right in front of the wooden berms with live streaming and since you are mostly not in the woods, you can see a lot.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Ahh yes, the endearing cluster fuck that is UCI event scheduling. Month'n half with no races, then 2 races in 7 days. Reminds me of my of secks life, or general lack thereof (shout out to the good people who run Hamster!)

UCI bashing and dad essential websites aside, there is an important bike rally scheduled for the weekend in the graceful Alps of Austria. A place where Stevie put his indelible mark on the WC circuit, Rat man finally captured his first WC win, and Jeebus used an ethereal fart to help propel his favorite rider to a stunning victory sans chain. So how will the podium look on Sunday? Let's find out!

* "Leogang" is actually Swahili for Troupe of Lions

* Vienna Sausages do not come from Vienna. The term is just a general description for "wiener sausages", and in truth, they are just stumpy little bitch hot dogs. On the other side of the pond, our hot dogs come in a manly "bun length". Just sayin (i.e. 'Merrica)

* Vienna cookies are also not actually from Vienna. They are obviously made by elves, which means they come from Iceland, and I would presume Bjork has written a largely incoherent song about them at some point.

* Vienna coffee...now we're talking. That wonderful concoction is originally from Vienna and one of the world's most powerful colonic accelerants.

* A certain insane politico spent time in Austria as a miserable hipster...like the Drumpf, he also fancied himself a self-taught architect.

* Apparently Mother Nature was on quite a bender last weekend and forgot to give Fort Dick a golden shower as per the usual. Well the bitch finally woke up, and she's intending to empty her swollen bladder on Leogang this weekend. Thanks Cantori.

* Even the former King of Austria (Joseph Franz) was a fan of Stevie Smith

* I checked, and its confirmed that Leogang still isn't Schladming. And based on the current UCI scheduling trend, 2018 will feature 2 races: Cairns in early April and Leogang in late September.

* This was awhile back, so things have changed somewhat since then, but as demonstrated at the 1:45" mark, its a reminder that the woods sections do have some teeth, especially when oozing with root gravy -
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/144530/ (<-- rad to see one Mr. Brayton back in the day, but I'd strongly encourage you to mute the sound)

* This stuff kicks a lot of ass

So now that we know the background information, we can move on to the podium predictions:

1. Edward Masters - What, why and how you ask? It's simple...see any resemblance to a certain former Austrian King?

That's right you flogs, the King has Fuckin Returned! Suck it J.R.R.R.R.R.R Tolkien! Finally backing up his ever improving qualifying times, The Ed jumps ship from Bergamont and joins the Syndicate as the obvious replacement for the soon retiring Steve (Fucking) Peat. Under the careful tutelage of GM (riding) and Ratman (sailing), The Ed steps up his game in a big way and takes the 2nd win of the season for SCB.

2. Captain Georg Von Trap - Another surprise celebrity appearance, and this time from Austria's own highly esteemed naval officer (which is awesome since Austria is landlocked) and productive baby maker. Sporting a crabon Pennyfarthing, the massive 59" front wheel allows to him roll over entire forests and jump sections with only 3 pedal strokes. The problem? Stopping. With the monstorous leverage created by the small moon on the front of his bike, he cooks his hybrid Saint lever/Gustav brake set and is soon headed off to the Mediterranean sea at speeds in excess of 200 kph. Thankfully, being the intrepid sailor that he is, this is akin to throwing a hasenpfeffer in a brier patch.

3. The Drumpf - the Aryan athlete extraordinaire just can't get enough WC action, especially when it's so close to his ancestral home. After making a dramatic debut at Lourdes in what many would consider a hostile takeover, the Drumpf returns to the WC scene, this time on a diesel BMW R75 motorcycle, replete with a sidecar, which barely contains the great bulk of Chris Christie, who many presume will be his future running mate/latex clad basement gimp. Putting the "ass" in "asset", Christie's extra mass is hugely beneficial in getting to the bottom quickly, but it soon becomes an impediment when the Drumpf tries to slow down his hate chariot, and the pair of chalky chunkies follow Von Trap's path to the sea. As promising as this sounds, Christie's pinniped genetic heritage allows them to float through the Straits of Gibraltar and eventually back to lower Manhattan.

4. @sethimus makes the quick jaunt from Barvaria and shocks the mountain bike world with a podium finish. Even more impressive when one considers he was rockin' a Sprokets murdered out kit and stopped mid-run to poop on a fan's chest. Der Shizer!

5. Nikolai Tesla - Riding the latest Kidwoo endorsed product, Austria's eccentric engineer smashes his way on to the last step aboard an electric DH bike, screaming "suck it Edison!!!" . The DH forum on Ridemonkey subsequently melts and linked directly to MTBR forums.

Zee Fraus:

1. Rach - going for a chainless win this time. Winning margin is reduced to a measly 7 seconds

2. Manon - stay on your bike Manon!

3. Tracey - pumps it up real hard and holds on :brows:

4. Julie Andrews - singing about hillz all the way down

5. Katy Kurd - mud & UK riders, like bourbon and gunz, they just go together
I'm done. This had me burst into a laughter from line one and never see me stopping.

One note if enlightenment, we might be a small country nowadays but Kaiser Franz Joseph was just this, The Kaiser! Emperor, for you uneducated not-monarchists. :weee:

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
It's a kinda cool hall of fame for the winners on this track. Like the Gondolas with names of the skiers that won the "Streif".
Thanks hadn't seen those photos yet. Very cool tribute to all winners but esp Stevie.

Of course, it's all fine until someone Matti's the section and ends up impaled by some Atherton wood.