Not Schladming WC thread

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
holy shit thats a big jump

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGegW2LzQ6y/?taken-by=commencalbikes

timed training

https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/troy-brosnan-tracey-hannah-win-timed-training-leogang.html

TIMED TRAINING MEN’S RESULTS
Troy Brosnan – 3:29.175

Remi Thirion – 3:33.644

Mike Jones – 3:34.045

Mick Hannah – 3:35.006

Marcelo Gutierrez Villegas – 3:35.150

TIMED TRAINING WOMEN’S RESULTS
Tracey Hannah – 4:14.698

Manon Carpenter – 4:16.007

Marine Caribou – 4:35.535

Eleonora Farina – 4:39.159

Morgane Charre – 4:41.583

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Quali underway. It looks like Sam Hill is injured (DNS). :rant:

It's not over yet, but the top 5 is likely to remain Gwin, Vergier, Jones, Hart, Minnaar.

Great results for Vergier and Jones!
:headbang:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Man those times are tight, except for gwin and Vergier. 3-7th are all within .7s. I guess Gwin rode with a chain today, and it turns out that its slightly faster to ride with a chain then without, so he has a comfortable 1.6s gap on vergier and a 3.5-4s gap on everybody else.

Anyway, rooting for Gwin as per usual.

Also, holy shit Rachel. I know she hasn't beaten ACC's records yet, but she's on her way, and my word she is consistent. Her qualifying time is unbelievable.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Also, holy shit Rachel. I know she hasn't beaten ACC's records yet, but she's on her way, and my word she is consistent. Her qualifying time is unbelievable.
A lot is said about how much tougher the competition is for men today than when the Alien dominated but I think the opposite is true for women, ACC had some real competition where I'm not sure Rachel has as much of that right now. Few years ago there was more but who really challenges her now on a week to week basis. ACC had to deal with crazy Missy, and some other really fast girls. Kind of hard to compare Nico's results to guys today and ACCs results with girls today. Also, ACC often was in the top 20 times for men at races, Rachel's time is 124th for the men's time today. I remember watching ACC compete in the men's 4x debut at Mt Snow and she did quite well.

Just my 2 cents though, could be completely wrong.

Last edited:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Rooting for Brendog, expecting Gwin, and praying for Troy. Watching two young guns qualifying ahead of him, pushing him further down in points, Brosnan will be riding on the edge.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
A lot is said about how much tougher the competition is for men today than when the Alien dominated but I think the opposite is true for women, ACC had some real competition where I'm not sure Rachel has as much of that right now. Few years ago there was more but who really challenges her now on a week to week basis. ACC had to deal with crazy Missy, and some other really fast girls. Kind of hard to compare Nico's results to guys today and ACCs results with girls today. Also, ACC often was in the top 20 times for men at races, Rachel's time is 124th for the men's time today. I remember watching ACC compete in the men's 4x debut at Mt Snow and she did quite well.

Just my 2 cents though, could be completely wrong.
As good as she was I can guarantee she was never top 20 in the mens.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
We're both probably wrong. I said "often top 20" which was an exaggeration and you said never which is not true. She definitely would have qualified for the men's finals many many times though, not sure Rachel is in that category.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I donno, hard to compare anything other than results when it comes to how good X rider is, but consider this:

Using the metric of "how well would the women do in the Men's field" doesn't work if you acknowledge that Men's racing is at a way higher level now than it used to be in the same breath.

I'm pretty confident Mannon, Hannah, Seagrave are riding their asses off and working super hard in the off season, and Atherton is just crushing them. No matter how you spin it, Atherton is on a different level than anybody else right now and she's been able to maintain that in the same way ACC was.

9 Seconds faster in qualifying is nuts.

I like dramatic racing and not really knowing who's gonna win, but at the same time there's still something awesome and impressive about watching the women's field take mostly similar lines, struggle through certain parts, and then watch Atherton absolutely pick them apart and completely decimate them.

I'm pumped to watch her race tomorrow.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I can remember watching that live on TV... Don't remember the Women's race at all. I didn't remember Bas De Bever's time also being so close to Nico's.

Probably 'cause he didn't go on about it for 2 decades, eh?

:popcorn:

Poor Seb. Who's gonna tell him?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Maybe at some NORBAS? I can't find any WCs she would have done that at although I know she beat Rob Warner shortly after his comments about women's racing back in the day.

Also, apparently Vergier got stuck behind Ratboy in his 2nd place qualifier? That's impressive, and would be interesting to know what could have been.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Ahh yes, the endearing cluster fuck that is UCI event scheduling. Month'n half with no races, then 2 races in 7 days. Reminds me of my of secks life, or general lack thereof (shout out to the good people who run Hamster!)

UCI bashing and dad essential websites aside, there is an important bike rally scheduled for the weekend in the graceful Alps of Austria. A place where Stevie put his indelible mark on the WC circuit, Rat man finally captured his first WC win, and Jeebus used an ethereal fart to help propel his favorite rider to a stunning victory sans chain. So how will the podium look on Sunday? Let's find out!

* "Leogang" is actually Swahili for Troupe of Lions

* Vienna Sausages do not come from Vienna. The term is just a general description for "wiener sausages", and in truth, they are just stumpy little bitch hot dogs. On the other side of the pond, our hot dogs come in a manly "bun length". Just sayin (i.e. 'Merrica)

* Vienna cookies are also not actually from Vienna. They are obviously made by elves, which means they come from Iceland, and I would presume Bjork has written a largely incoherent song about them at some point.

* Vienna coffee...now we're talking. That wonderful concoction is originally from Vienna and one of the world's most powerful colonic accelerants.

* A certain insane politico spent time in Austria as a miserable hipster...like the Drumpf, he also fancied himself a self-taught architect.

* Apparently Mother Nature was on quite a bender last weekend and forgot to give Fort Dick a golden shower as per the usual. Well the bitch finally woke up, and she's intending to empty her swollen bladder on Leogang this weekend. Thanks Cantori.

* Even the former King of Austria (Joseph Franz) was a fan of Stevie Smith

* I checked, and its confirmed that Leogang still isn't Schladming. And based on the current UCI scheduling trend, 2018 will feature 2 races: Cairns in early April and Leogang in late September.

* This was awhile back, so things have changed somewhat since then, but as demonstrated at the 1:45" mark, its a reminder that the woods sections do have some teeth, especially when oozing with root gravy -
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/144530/ (<-- rad to see one Mr. Brayton back in the day, but I'd strongly encourage you to mute the sound)

* This stuff kicks a lot of ass

So now that we know the background information, we can move on to the podium predictions:

1. Edward Masters - What, why and how you ask? It's simple...see any resemblance to a certain former Austrian King?

That's right you flogs, the King has Fuckin Returned! Suck it J.R.R.R.R.R.R Tolkien! Finally backing up his ever improving qualifying times, The Ed jumps ship from Bergamont and joins the Syndicate as the obvious replacement for the soon retiring Steve (Fucking) Peat. Under the careful tutelage of GM (riding) and Ratman (sailing), The Ed steps up his game in a big way and takes the 2nd win of the season for SCB.

2. Captain Georg Von Trap - Another surprise celebrity appearance, and this time from Austria's own highly esteemed naval officer (which is awesome since Austria is landlocked) and productive baby maker. Sporting a crabon Pennyfarthing, the massive 59" front wheel allows to him roll over entire forests and jump sections with only 3 pedal strokes. The problem? Stopping. With the monstorous leverage created by the small moon on the front of his bike, he cooks his hybrid Saint lever/Gustav brake set and is soon headed off to the Mediterranean sea at speeds in excess of 200 kph. Thankfully, being the intrepid sailor that he is, this is akin to throwing a hasenpfeffer in a brier patch.

3. The Drumpf - the Aryan athlete extraordinaire just can't get enough WC action, especially when it's so close to his ancestral home. After making a dramatic debut at Lourdes in what many would consider a hostile takeover, the Drumpf returns to the WC scene, this time on a diesel BMW R75 motorcycle, replete with a sidecar, which barely contains the great bulk of Chris Christie, who many presume will be his future running mate/latex clad basement gimp. Putting the "ass" in "asset", Christie's extra mass is hugely beneficial in getting to the bottom quickly, but it soon becomes an impediment when the Drumpf tries to slow down his hate chariot, and the pair of chalky chunkies follow Von Trap's path to the sea. As promising as this sounds, Christie's pinniped genetic heritage allows them to float through the Straits of Gibraltar and eventually back to lower Manhattan.

4. @sethimus makes the quick jaunt from Barvaria and shocks the mountain bike world with a podium finish. Even more impressive when one considers he was rockin' a Sprokets murdered out kit and stopped mid-run to poop on a fan's chest. Der Shizer!

5. Nikolai Tesla - Riding the latest Kidwoo endorsed product, Austria's eccentric engineer smashes his way on to the last step aboard an electric DH bike, screaming "suck it Edison!!!" . The DH forum on Ridemonkey subsequently melts and linked directly to MTBR forums.

Zee Fraus:

1. Rach - going for a chainless win this time. Winning margin is reduced to a measly 7 seconds

2. Manon - stay on your bike Manon!

3. Tracey - pumps it up real hard and holds on :brows:

4. Julie Andrews - singing about hillz all the way down

5. Katy Kurd - mud & UK riders, like bourbon and gunz, they just go together
i'm honored but i'm not from bavaria but from swabia, currently living the cool hipster lifestyle in big berlin, so the only riding i get this days is strictly on my 700c single speed. the sprockets outfit is true though. all black all the time!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anyone watched the live timing for the womens? Results are up now... good results for a few...

***don't want to spoil it dammit but interesting top 5***

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
That was great racing. I thought it was over when Troy came down 4 seconds up. Then I thought it was over when Loris beat him.

I had fun.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Wow- what a race! I thought Loris could have had his first win today after a quali that looked like it could have been faster than Gwin.

ALSO- at the end of the race, the music sounds like some remix version of this:

WTH?!? Anyone else notice that, or am I becoming a jugalo without realizing?

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Still can't get over those times. 6.5s difference in the top 5, and 3 of those seconds were between 1st and 2nd. 15.8s within the top 30, and the top 5 were varying degrees of 8 seconds faster. Crazy that the top 25 after 1-5 were within 8 seconds of eachother, and the top 5 managed to take so much time off them in such a tight race.