Quantcast

Note to self: never loan anything to anyone. Ever.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
[rant]

A friend came to visit this weekend to do some riding around where I live. We rode on Fri and Sat, but I had to work today, so I sent him off on his own. I loaned him my local trail map and my mini pump and told him to have fun.

My friend is a very competent individual. Recently graduated from college with an engineering degree, works at a bike shop, rides a nice bike, and rides frequently.

He just came back from the ride about an hour ago, and when he pulled my map from his Camel Bak it was torn and badly crumpled. Needless to say, I was kinda bummed to see this. Then he pulled the pump out and said, "It was kinda hard to convert it from schrader to presta, but I think I made it work." Nope. Dumbass managed to break off one of the plastic pieces inside the head of the pump, and now it won't work for schrader valves (which I have on both my bikes). I've had the friggin' pump for 6 years and it worked flawlessly until the world's most careless (or possibly clueless?) engineering major broke it today.

I did get lucky on one count though: he helped himself to my digital camera without asking and just threw it in his pack, sans case. I'm amazed it survived the ride unscathed.

I realize that you're not supposed to sweat the small stuff, but goddammit, my map and pump were in mint condition when they left my house today, and now they both need to be replaced. I'll make my friend pay for all of it, but this kinda stuff really pisses me off. I take really good care of all my belongings, and I just can't understand how people can be so disrespectful and careless with things that aren't theirs.

[/rant]

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Walk up to him all friendly and everything. Like nothing is wrong. And when he least expects it... Give him a heart warming chest punch. Lean into it it a little for me..

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Recently graduated from college with an engineering degree, works at a bike shop
What does he do at that shop? or are times that hard on the west coast?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
[rant]

A friend came to visit this weekend to do some riding around where I live. We rode on Fri and Sat, but I had to work today, so I sent him off on his own. I loaned him my local trail map and my mini pump and told him to have fun.

My friend is a very competent individual. Recently graduated from college with an engineering degree, works at a bike shop, rides a nice bike, and rides frequently.

He just came back from the ride about an hour ago, and when he pulled my map from his Camel Bak it was torn and badly crumpled. Needless to say, I was kinda bummed to see this. Then he pulled the pump out and said, "It was kinda hard to convert it from schrader to presta, but I think I made it work." Nope. Dumbass managed to break off one of the plastic pieces inside the head of the pump, and now it won't work for schrader valves (which I have on both my bikes). I've had the friggin' pump for 6 years and it worked flawlessly until the world's most careless (or possibly clueless?) engineering major broke it today.

I did get lucky on one count though: he helped himself to my digital camera without asking and just threw it in his pack, sans case. I'm amazed it survived the ride unscathed.

I realize that you're not supposed to sweat the small stuff, but goddammit, my map and pump were in mint condition when they left my house today, and now they both need to be replaced. I'll make my friend pay for all of it, but this kinda stuff really pisses me off. I take really good care of all my belongings, and I just can't understand how people can be so disrespectful and careless with things that aren't theirs.

[/rant]
You know those hookworms I bought from you? I want my money back. I think over the last 4 years, I got 2 flats. You ripped me off dude.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
this story sheds some light on a vast majority of the engineering majors i've encountered. enough books smarts for the entire college but not enough common sense to fill up a thimble.