Quantcast

Notes of Importance

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So far this morning I have learned two very useful things:

1. I can swim 1-mile in open water and not be completely blown.
This is important, as I have my first triathlon on October 15 (sprint) and second on November 4 (Olympic).

2. Falling down a flight of stairs hurts. A LOT!
My landlord just painted the back steps (outdoor) into my flat with gloss paint. He did not mix in any sand or lay down grip tape :bonk: . I hung my wetsuit from this morning's swim out to dry on the top of the steps effectively turning them into a violent, bumpy slip'n'slide. I slipped about 1/3 of the way down and slid/tumbled the remaining 2/3.

My ass and back hurt like a mofo, and I have a wind sprint workout tonight, hopefully I'll be able to run by then...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Good luck on the tri's - I've been doing an assload of swimming lately but no open water swims.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's actually kind of funny. Open water swims in general are usually harder than pool swims, but I did better in the open water. My guess is that because my back is so messed up, and I do not kick when I swim, that the wetsuit provided enough bouyancy to keep my feet up causing less drag.
I think I"m going to do most of my swims open water now. I live 5 min from the shore, so it's convenient too.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
In the not too distant past, I too could only ride. I just bought a pair of running shoes and started slowly, 1 mile 3x a week. I am now at 6-7 miles 3-4x weekly, 120min of swimming weekly, and I ride the fixie primarily so I can work on my power and spin.

If you want to do it, you will find a way.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I do most of my swimming in the pool, as I can work on my form. Open water swimming is really only good for getting used to open water swims, which you can expect at most tri's.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Oh, bvll****. Trip over your own gear and sue somebody? Give me a farking break. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

I would not sue, because I am fine and that is not my M.O.
However, the fact that the landlord painted OUTDOOR stairs with gloss paint in a wet region is negligence. I did not trip over my own gear, I was actually 1/2 a flight down from my wetsuit. I fell because the wet paint is slick and there is no traction.
I have spoke with my landlord and he is laying down griptape monday.