Quantcast

'Nother "What frame would you choose" thread, specific to mostly rocky AZ DH

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
I know this type of thread can be irritating, so I'll try to provide as much background information as possible.

Me: 40ish rider in Arizona. Pretty decent and experienced trail rider with some on-again, off-again DH experience (here in Phoenix, we often ride the same trails on both trail bikes and DH bikes ... just slower). I'm 6'2" and 190 pounds nekkid. My first-ever DH rig some time back was a 2007 Morewood Izimu. It was fun as a first bike, but never could get the suspension to do what I wanted and even the large was too small for me.

I'm just getting back into shuttling and picked up a 2008 Giant Glory DH from a buddy. Still working on getting the suspension dialed (currently running a Push'd DHX 5.0 with 500 lb spring and a 2010 Fox 40 with heavy spring). The sizing on the frame does seem a little small (it's a Large) in top tube length.

I'm interested in "upgrading" to a more modern DH frame, something relatively "common" that I can find on the secondary market. The DH bike will see limited but consistent usage; typically shuttling AZ perhaps once a week, but I want to do some trips with buddies this year, so maybe Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, maybe Whistler. That said, the majority of the usage will be on rough, rocky Arizona trails. For locals and those familiar with our trails here, mostly South Mountain stuff (Geronimo, Holbert, National, 24th, etc.) and some Flagstaff in the summer.

Though I'd love (and plan to) try out some groomed, bermy-jumpy stuff, most of the time this rig will be used on rocks, high-speed chop, multiple successive hits and tight switchbacks that have big rocks and drops in the middle.

I'd like the bike to be decently tough for the conditions (though I tend not to be too hard on frames), relatively light but not crazy or carbon, slack, OK pedalling, but plush enough to save me when I get in over my skillset. Quiet would be a bonus. The following are the frames I'm considering (all used):

-- Canfield Jedi (have a built Yelli Screamy hardtail 29er that is freakin' awesome)
-- DW Turner DHR
-- Intense 951

Others would be an M9, V10 or maybe a Phoenix.

Happy to hear input and sorry for the long read. Thanks.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
From your list I would say Jedi, M9, V10, DHR basically in that order. I think the Canfield Brothers do demo stuff on occasion......

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
951 is a bad choice for what you want. I will say first what I always say - A legend. Size large for you. Bombproof, great in the rough and not super heavy. If not go with what Ian suggests.

Last edited:

SCARY

Not long enough
You can tryout my M9 if you want.Its perfect for out here.Im racing bootleg next weekend,so after that would be fine.Its a large and I weigh a little more than you.Norbars right ,the 951 isn't the bike you're looking for out here,too progressive .Its fun,but the M9 is much better.Also,a friend of mine has a brand new Legend frame with some used parts that he never rides,he might be willing to let it go.PM me if you'd like.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for all the input. I had an idea that the 951 might not be terrain-appropriate, but good to hear confirmation. I don't really want another Glory and would kinda like to support smaller companies if I can. Hadn't really considered a Legend.

Ian: I've owned a few Turner trail bikes (couple 5 Spots and an RFX), surprised that the DHR would be so far down the list. Would love to hear the thought process behind your rankings.

Scary: Thanks for the kind offer. Hopefully I'll get to take you up on it. I wanted to get to Nevada this weekend, but my Mom is in town from Maryland and I can't get away. Happy to talk to you and/or your friend about his legend. My direct e-mail is azamstaff@yahoo.com

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The Jedi will handle rocks the best. The V-10 and M9 will be very close gave the nod to the M9 just for adjustability sake. I have had brief saddle time on the new DHR they are fairly lively although the one I was riding had fast rebound and a bunch of LSC going on.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Oh, sizing recommendations on the Jedi? They seem to run a little small so I'm trying to figure between L and XL.
I am 6' 2" and the large was the one we tested. It wasn't big I may have done okay on the xlg. One tester that is a few inches taller than me mentioned it being small. Not sure how tall you are?

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I'm 6'2" w/ a 34" inseam, and the large Jedi was ok, but the XL fit me better.

I had my '10 Jedi pretty dialled suspension-wise (Avy tuned Swinger 6 way and Avy damped 888), and it ruled on the rough stuff. I didn't get a chance to swap bikes, but followed a friend of mine w/ a dhr at Vail down some rough stuff, and he had no trouble keeping in front of me. He knew the trails better, but I'd have to say the dhr seems to have no problem in the chunder.

We both are former Sunday owners and both pretty happy with the handling/ suspension/ pedalling of the Jedi/ dhr. It'll be a tough choice b/t those two bikes when I get another dh rig.

Last edited: