Quantcast

Nothin' really ruins your day quite like this...

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
So, it was a perfectly good day, I had a delay at school, short classes, have virtually no homework, and about half an hour ago I'm heading down to pick up a Thomson post and a brake adapter from BalleRacing which will pretty much finish off my 03 Giant AC. So I'm driving past this middle school, and the crosswalk ladies are standing there crossing those little kids, and so all the cars are stopped right? Well they start going back to the side and the car in front of me starts going forwards, so well, I start going forward a little bit as well. After we start moving a bit some stupid kids start coming out again and the crosswalk ladies begin to go out towards the street. This guy then slams his brake, and I can't stop in time so I end up hitting him in the back. Luckily however he has a tire on the backside as well as a bike rack which absorbed most of the impact. However there was a bit of body damage. Well my mom just called the insurance people and it seems as long as the damage is less than $1000 on his car then our prices won't go up at all. And if it's more than $1000 then it'll go up $100 a year. I'm so pissed about it though because of the fact that it actually happened. I almost want my mom to take away my license, lol. (Yes Opie if you read this you foresaw something like this a long time ago. :p )

Hopefully I can vent out my anger with a urban ride this afternoon. :mumble:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
S*#t happens. I can't even tell you how many accidents I've been in. Just remember what I always say... They're called accidents, not on purposes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
T-Pirate said:
Yeah, he was obviously not paying attention. :rolleyes: Chill out, he admitted it was stupid, he said he couldn't stop IN TIME, not "I was zoning out and slammed into his ass".
It's absolutely obvious he wasn't paying attention. Someday you'll realize that if you a$$pack someone, it is a direct result of not paying sufficient attention to what's happening around you.

-S.S.-

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
This will ruin your day.... I made arrangements for a lady I know to take her husband on a cycling trip to the Everglades for his 60th B-day. Found them bikes, a tour guide, made all the arrangements, talked it up etc. They finally go on the trip. Much excitement, everyone is happy. Even the daughter ends up getting off work and goes on the trip.....

Her husband died unexpectedly while riding his bike. I am all ****ed up. I just can't believe it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
We all crash our cars at some point or another. Don't beat yourself up over it. At least no one was hurt, and since you all were going slow at least you didn't end up hitting him and pushing his car into a kid or something. It could be much worse.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I didnt crash into a car, I got rear ended by a dump truck in my van which in the end got me a Subi. But yea it sucked. I felt terrible. I can still think of things that I could have tried to aviod it but I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and the elements werent right.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
bpatterson6 said:
After all, Your Parents owe it to you to pay YOUR insurance costs for everything you have done for them. :rolleyes:

Watch it smartass, I do pay my own insurance, Unlike every other little spoiled brat out there

jdcamb said:
This will ruin your day.... I made arrangements for a lady I know to take her husband on a cycling trip to the Everglades for his 60th B-day. Found them bikes, a tour guide, made all the arrangements, talked it up etc. They finally go on the trip. Much excitement, everyone is happy. Even the daughter ends up getting off work and goes on the trip.....

Her husband died unexpectedly while riding his bike. I am all ****ed up. I just can't believe it.
That sucks, jd! Don't blame yourself, and consider that he probably died happy.

J

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
SkaredShtles said:
It's absolutely obvious he wasn't paying attention. Someday you'll realize that if you a$$pack someone, it is a direct result of not paying sufficient attention to what's happening around you.

-S.S.-

So if you are devoting your undivided attention to the road and someone in front of you slams on his brakes when you aren't expecting it and you can't stop in time, you weren't paying sufficient attention to what's happening around you?

Maybe he was following too close, maybe he was going too fast, or maybe, just maybe, he just had a little bad luck and you don't need to ride his ass about it.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Wow. This happened to my sister today!

She crashed her boy friends car while getting some gas. She called me and was histerical and crying and totaly freaking out. Its gunna cost about 400 dollars.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
T-Pirate said:
So if you are devoting your undivided attention to the road and someone in front of you slams on his brakes when you aren't expecting it and you can't stop in time, you weren't paying sufficient attention to what's happening around you?
Absolutely. That's exactly what I'm saying. If you can't stop from a$$packing someone then you *weren't* paying attention. If it happens, I hope at least you learn something from it. When you're behind the wheel of a 1+ ton piece of steel, plastic, and glass, it really pays to devote all your resources to driving.

Maybe he was following too close, maybe he was going too fast, or maybe, just maybe, he just had a little bad luck and you don't need to ride his ass about it.
Luck has got nothing to do with it if the accident is your fault. Anyhow, I suspect that COmtbiker12 can speak for himself......

-S.S.-

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
T-Pirate said:

Word up. Cut Tony some slack, and enough of the "I'm older than you so I know better mentality." He knows he made a mistake.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
SkaredShtles said:
Someday you'll realize that if you a$$pack someone, it is a direct result of not paying sufficient attention to what's happening around you.

-S.S.-
Im going to disagree with you. My truck is heavy, and has small brakes and doesnt panic stop very well at all. If someone infront of me locks up his brakes, I'd be able to slam on mine, but i still might fly into him if his car can stop on a dime.

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
I can admit to completely zoning out while behind the wheel. After I think it was a half day of school I decided to get pizza and bring it to the bikeshop instead of going home. The roads were snowy down town and it was the usual slow pace. All of a sudden everybody is stopped in front of me....a red chevy lumina is right there about 15-20 feet away completely stopped while I am cruising at about 25. Right then I visualized hitting this car because I knew I was going to....hit the brakes and slid and then pumped the brakes and right before I was going to hit the car I spun the wheel to the right and juuuuuust missed it. It got my heart pumping so fast!!!!

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
Nice reaction. Swirving is sometimes better than pressing the brakes.

If my brother didn't have a good reaction, he would've been dead by now... he was standing on a stop sign, and started going. All of a sudden he sees from the side a guy is flying at him missing the stop sign. My bro floored it and the other car missed him by literally an inch.

I had an incident where my dad and I were driving in the rain on the highway and all of a sudden all the cars stopped ahead of us. My dad slammed on the brakes but the car just skid, so he released them and swirved to the right shoulder.

You should always keep you distance of the people driving in front of you and be cautious. Even if you're doing everything right, the guy slams on the brakes, your brain does two things instead of one. Process the fact that someone just stopped in front of you. Second, tells your foot to press the break... while you're screaming "oooo shiiiiit"

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
chicodude01 said:
Watch it smartass, I do pay my own insurance, Unlike every other little spoiled brat out there
I don't. :evil:

I just pay deductibles when I get in wrecks...Well. The one wreck I've been in. Wrecks teach you much about driving :thumb:

Not to say wrecks are good. But...yeah.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Curb Hucker said:
Im going to disagree with you. My truck is heavy, and has small brakes and doesnt panic stop very well at all. If someone infront of me locks up his brakes, I'd be able to slam on mine, but i still might fly into him if his car can stop on a dime.
and then it's your fault for not realizing your station wagon's :oink: poor braking capabilities would require you to adopt a more conservative following distance. again, not paying enough attention.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-
Having rear-ended more than a few people in my time, I have to agree... each time was full-on my fault due to not paying attention or not double checking that the car in front of me actually went when making a right turn... Now I'm downright paranoid about it... but still lapse once in awhile... fortunately, I've been lucky for the past few years and haven't hit anyone... just been the hit-ee. :o:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Toshi said:
and then it's your fault for not realizing your station wagon's :oink: poor braking capabilities would require you to adopt a more conservative following distance. again, not paying enough attention.
:stupid:

Damn straight! I have both a modern car (2003 Jetta) with decent brakes and an old van (1990 E-150) with horrible brakes... I always leave plenty of room between me and the guy in front of the van... if it means I get cut in front of once in while, I just have to deal with it... (helps teach anger-management) There are certain consessions one has to make if your'e going to drive a truck. Especially an older one. Most importantly, they're big and heavy and don't like to stop. :nope:

Now if the rest of the SUV and truck driving baffoons would realize this, US highways would be a much safer place... :rolleyes:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Thanks for all the comments everybody, lol. Like CurbHucker said I think that the brakes weren't all I thought they were in my car and due to that I probably underestimated my following distance. It also seemed like we were stopped, then we started going, and then he stopped suddenly so I think a lot of it had to do with the split second that it took me to move my foot from gas to brake. Oh well, I'm just gonna start stopping like 20feet behind people and following like 5seconds behind them. :p

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
COmtbiker12 said:
Thanks for all the comments everybody, lol. Like CurbHucker said I think that the brakes weren't all I thought they were in my car and due to that I probably underestimated my following distance. It also seemed like we were stopped, then we started going, and then he stopped suddenly so I think a lot of it had to do with the split second that it took me to move my foot from gas to brake. Oh well, I'm just gonna start stopping like 20feet behind people and following like 5seconds behind them. :p
:thumb:

Everyone makes mistakes. What seperates the intelligent from the idiot is whether or not you learn from your mistakes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
pixelninja said:
:thumb:

Everyone makes mistakes. What seperates the intelligent from the idiot is whether or not you learn from your mistakes.
:stupid:

My original comment was to hopefully drive home the fact that Co12 wasn't paying attention. It's still, by all means, an accident. Through increased vigilance due to this experience, Co12 is likely not to have this (or something worse) happen again. :thumb:

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Curb Hucker said:
I'm at a complete loss for words...... :confused:

Please tell me you aren't actually this clueless. :think:

-S.S.-

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-
yeah and HOPEFULLY, you'll have learned your "so incredibly wise but old and bitter" lesson as well.

maybe you could just kick him the balls next time shtls?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
clancy98 said:
yeah and HOPEFULLY, you'll have learned your "so incredibly wise but old and bitter" lesson as well.

maybe you could just kick him the balls next time shtls?
Co12 and I have a good rapport. I've given him some $hit in the past and PM'd some info with him. I was giving him a mild ribbing..........

So here's to you!

:p

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
COmtbiker12 said:
So, it was a perfectly good day, I had a delay at school, short classes, have virtually no homework, and about half an hour ago I'm heading down to pick up a Thomson post and a brake adapter from BalleRacing which will pretty much finish off my 03 Giant AC. So I'm driving past this middle school, and the crosswalk ladies are standing there crossing those little kids, and so all the cars are stopped right? Well they start going back to the side and the car in front of me starts going forwards, so well, I start going forward a little bit as well. After we start moving a bit some stupid kids start coming out again and the crosswalk ladies begin to go out towards the street. This guy then slams his brake, and I can't stop in time so I end up hitting him in the back. Luckily however he has a tire on the backside as well as a bike rack which absorbed most of the impact. However there was a bit of body damage. Well my mom just called the insurance people and it seems as long as the damage is less than $1000 on his car then our prices won't go up at all. And if it's more than $1000 then it'll go up $100 a year. I'm so pissed about it though because of the fact that it actually happened. I almost want my mom to take away my license, lol. (Yes Opie if you read this you foresaw something like this a long time ago. :p )

Hopefully I can vent out my anger with a urban ride this afternoon. :mumble:

At least there wasn't a bike on his bike rack. A Monkey might've gone apesh!t on ya had you smashed their ride :D

You can hit my Jeep, but don't touch my rides :blah:

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Toshi said:
Hey Toshi :nuts: its not a station wagon, its a gas electric hatchback hybrid :p

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
LordOpie said:

At least there wasn't a bike on his bike rack. A Monkey might've gone apesh!t on ya had you smashed their ride :D

You can hit my Jeep, but don't touch my rides :blah:
Had there been a bike on there and it was damaged I might have had to donate one of mine to ease our pain. :p

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
T-Pirate said:
You must not drive or you'd know that it's his fault. It means he was following too closely...