Quantcast

nothing but honesty

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
I'm looking to sell my trek liquid and get a real freeride bike. I have between 1200-1400 to spend. I trust my VA monkeys to clue me in as to what FR bike is the best and how I would go about choosing a bike. Let me know.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
For that amount of cash, look into IronHorse. also the Specialized Bighit. I belive the cheapest componant grouppo may fit into that price range.

but, in order to REALLY help you, we need to know your height/weight and riding style. What are you looking at getting into? Stunts? DH? North Shore stuff?

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
i have a small bighit you can ride if we meet up at the shed. but it ain't for sale. I know how hard it is to actually ride a big bike around here before buying one because none of the bike shops carry a bi selection.

I was in Performance in gaithersburg like a month ago and they had the Iron Horse with the sherman on it. not sure which one it was but the components group on it was off the hook. everythin was really nice and $$$$$.

First you gotta decide if you want a full suspension if you have not already done so....

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
yea, can't lose either way - IH/BH

I got an Ironhorse - 2 years running strong, highly recommend. They have awsome customer service/warrenty

-Mike T.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
Thanks for the tips. I want to get into Northshore stuff, and dabble a little bit into dirt jumping, but nothing big. Mostly Northshore riding b/c I'm building stunts right now behind my house. I'm sure you all remember the post about "Dinky" with the picture of the 2 sticks on a log. Well, it has since progressed. I went to the performance in Manassas and they had the IH sgs team I think with the sherman. It was awesome. but as some one said....$$$$$. I'm 5'11 and what people could consider a clydesdale rider. (about 220). Thanks again for all the info and as soon as I can get up to the shed, I'll take whoever offered the bighit for a spin. later

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
so am I to believe that an Ironhorse SGS or a specialized Big hit are my only options. Any one have reviews of a GT ruckus. I've heard mixed reviews. or even a Giant AC 1. Lemme know

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
you can get a SWEET ht....Why do you want suspension anyway. Buying a FR suspension bike at that price point will leave you with a lower end bike. Maybe the same frame as a $2500 rig, but with a ****tty shock front and rear...lousy components. Buy a FR HT like a banshee Scratch or Morphine...or a .243 or one of MANY other steel frames and get a sweet Marzocchi forks with a 20mm axel....and nice componentry. You can go Big on an HT...just not to silly flat landings...and for DJing...NO COMPARISION. My $.02

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
AC1 dont go with it. I had one as my first full squish and while i didnt know much about suspension and had never tried other designs i thought it was great. But the bike took a beating and was real close to breaking but i got a new bike before. It has weird geometry overall the wheelbase was long and it was hard to climb anything with. I think my bighit DH climbs better now then the AC1 did. The hardtail idea is real good because you wnt get that great of a full squish for that amount of $.

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Originally posted by JerseyDave
you can get a SWEET ht....Why do you want suspension anyway. Buying a FR suspension bike at that price point will leave you with a lower end bike. Maybe the same frame as a $2500 rig, but with a ****tty shock front and rear...lousy components. Buy a FR HT like a banshee Scratch or Morphine...or a .243 or one of MANY other steel frames and get a sweet Marzocchi forks with a 20mm axel....and nice componentry. You can go Big on an HT...just not to silly flat landings...and for DJing...NO COMPARISION. My $.02
Just watch Chain Reaction 4 and you'll see what this guy's talking about. ;) But I truly think hardtails are better for drops to flat, cuz u can get rear wheel w/ out choppering out the head angle when the front wheel comes down. All I know is it's easier for me to drop my ht to flat than my full suspension.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Your constarints are $ and the type of riding you will do with it are your requirements.

So, it sounds like you will mostly do NS stuff and DJ.
For NS and DJ stuff you want a bike that has a higher center of gravity, short chainstays, and has slightly slack Head angle, not DH race rig slack, and does not weight a ton. Those are you requirements.................

Constraints are $, about 1200-1400

Given requirements and constraints, I would say your options are the Big Hit, or the IH SGS expert.
The BH is a great bike but the angles on it are pretty slack and wheel base is on the longer side (not good for slower drops), if you were looking for a rig to do NS trails on and then take to Snowshow etc for the weekend to do runs this would be a good bike for both purposes.

The IH is a great bike with awesome components and GREAT customer support b/c most if not all employees either ride and/or race. The Sgs freeride has short chainstays, smaller cockpit for flickability and a nice HA that will make the bike manuverable and its burly for the bigger hits. It will also fair well at the DH mountains but not as well as the slacker Big hit. BUT will a pig to ride around town and will be a chore to DJ with but it can be done.

Based on what you said you will mostly do with it I would chose the IH