Quantcast

nothing to do with dh but...waaaap paaaaaap

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Thats the exact reason why I don't like articles in magazines or the captions for pictures; most guys use the same worn out lingo and its not funny any more. I just started surfing recently and I've actually heard a lot more bikers talk like that than I have surfers.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
haha, damn, I know surfers are lame, but damn :D :D :D
It's all context. I talk like a complete crackhead when I just finish an extra-pinned run. Ever listen to a top fuel or funny car driver being interviewed when they're still jacked from a race, whooooaaaaa.

Surfing big waves is incredibly dangerous, and very physically taxing. You hold your breath for 2 1/2 minutes while your being held under, see how you come out talking.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's all context. I talk like a complete crackhead when I just finish an extra-pinned run. Ever listen to a top fuel or funny car driver being interviewed when they're still jacked from a race, whooooaaaaa.

Surfing big waves is incredibly dangerous, and very physically taxing. You hold your breath for 2 1/2 minutes while your being held under, see how you come out talking.
i will second this. i now live on the beach and i have taken up boogie boarding (not even surfing yet). even 7~8 foot waves can be dangerous. i got tossed by a wave once and by the time i got above the surface and caught my breath i turned around to see another one barreling down on me. after getting tossed by that one i called it a day and walked out of the ocean with a bloody nose and leg cramps.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Holy $hit that's heavy. Where is it? French Polynesia??
shipsterns bluff in tasmania......heaviest wave period, and sketch......cold, with about 2 feet of water in front......there is this rock shelf right in front of this huge bluff.....the wave is really unpredictable and strange....totally deadly.....

click on the link and watch this 19 year old aussie kid laurie towner own this wave

give it a sec, the video will automatically load

http://www.surfline.com/video/video_player/video_player.cfm?id=2061

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Exactly. The guy sounded like a complete idiot, but damn, I was jealous. You hear someone talking like that and you know he had an epic session, especially with all of the sound effect he put in there.

That was too funny.

shipsterns bluff in tasmania......heaviest wave period, and sketch......cold, with about 2 feet of water in front......there is this rock shelf right in front of this huge bluff.....the wave is really unpredictable and strange....totally deadly.....

click on the link and watch this 19 year old aussie kid laurie towner own this wave

give it a sec, the video will automatically load

http://www.surfline.com/video/video_player/video_player.cfm?id=2061
My cousin surfed shipsterns, said it was nuts and he has charged pipe before so..... it must be!!! He said something about you could get washed inside dragged over rocks and pinned against a cliff. They were using skis and still all sketched out.

I've been held under at sebastian inlet in double overhead and it sucked. I love DH, but I would give the edge to surfers in the danger category. I mean Teaphoo, Pipe, when it's firing 30 + bombs in 3 feet of water with coral reef underneath:shocked: Going over the falls is not any fun!!

Here's a good comparison for you non-surfing DH'ers out there:
It's like a tree picking you up off your bike, carrying you 30 feet into the air and then slamming you into the rock garden with only board shorts on. Then if you survive that a ton of water slams you down again, trys to drown you and drags you across the reef again. Let's not forget that the ocean also turns your surfboard into a pointed missle with sharp fins sticking out of it.

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Here's a good comparison for you non-surfing DH'ers out there:
It's like a tree picking you up off your bike, carrying you 30 feet into the air and then slamming you into the rock garden with only board shorts on. Then if you survive that a ton of water slams you down again, trys to drown you and drags you across the reef again. Let's not forget that the ocean also turns your surfboard into a pointed missle with sharp fins sticking out of it.
I bet DHers can still pee further.

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Ok, maybe not as gnarly as previous pics, but still:

Snapper Rocks, Australia, a few weeks ago during a storm.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
South Carolina, dude............we're two spots above our southern sister state in edumacation.
SWEET! You just made this thread bike related. Jeremy Rs sister IS Ms South Carolina...seriously...she is.

Bike related and offensive. Excellent!! You're getting sneaky. :thumb:

Oh...and as for the gnarlyness of surfing, all I've ever seen in person was the North Shore of Maui back in January when it was relatively calm. 8 foot high or so waves tossin' groms and hot chics at razor sharp rock all day makes for some good spectating.

But don't think for a second I wanted my lilly white arse anywhere near that foam. Just getting to the waves looked more dangerous than my biggest getoff on my bike.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I've been held under at sebastian inlet in double overhead and it sucked.
Sebastion inlet at double overhead?? I didn't know that was possible, except maybe the Halloween storm of '91 (the Perfect Storm).

I never caught it more than waist high there on my trips up from Jupiter. Of course, when the waves were good, I usually stuck to my semi-secret spots.