Quantcast

Notice - Iverson RR Trail temporary closure

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
NOTICE - Iverson Railroad Trail is Temporarily Closed

Update: The trail is NOW closed I just spoke with DNR, and logging is ahead of schedule. The trail is closed as of today. However, no logging will take place over the holiday weekend, so the trail will be open Saturday-Monday. It will then close again until logging is finished.

Iverson Railroad Trail on Tiger Mountain State Forest will be temporarily closed beginning June 28, 2005. The trail closure will be in effect for approximately 3 weeks. Inclement weather or logging delays could cause the trail to be closed longer.

The DNR is conducting the Ulala Timber Sale, and part of the logging operation will cross over a short section of the Iverson Railroad Trail. After logging operations are completed, the logging company will repair the trail, but some touch up work by BBTC could be necessary. Logging operations are a normal part of life on Tiger Mountain, and are the primary management objective of the land. Revenue from timber sales supports public facilities such as schools, and allows the land to stay in public ownership.

Please be aware of logging trucks on the main Tiger Mountain road. Riders should ride with caution while on the roads, and this might be a good time to consider trying an out-and-back ride starting on the Northest Timber Trail, up the Preston, and the back. Washington State Department of Natural Resources thanks you for your patience during this temporary closure.

Only the Iverson RR Trail is affected, the Preston RR and Northwest Timber Trails will remain open.

More information about Tiger Mountain here:
http://www.bbtc.org/php/show_page.php?page_id=91

Justin Vander Pol
Executive Director
Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club
justin@bbtc.org
206-524-2900

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
I just spoke with DNR, and logging has begun. I updated the post above with current info.

Iverson is now closed, but will be open over the holiday weekend.

Thanks!

Justin

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Logging Update

I just got an update from DNR staff about the Ulala timber sale that is affecting the Iverson Trail up at Tiger. Things are going slower than they originally estimated, and now think the trail will be closed through early September. If it stays dry and warm, fire danger could cause further delays, but that's an unknown at this point.

DNR wants to thank us mountain bikers for being friendly and curteous to the logging crews. This kind of thing really makes it easy for us to work with DNR.

Justin
BBTC