Quantcast

NoTubes - The Crow Tire 29x2.0

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Many XC race tires perform better than you'd expect, due to much thinner (more compliant) rubber and casing, which cling on to the trail better. You get to suffice with less casing and less tread for a given cornering G.
The similar Kenda Karma is doing surprisingly well for me, in everything but loose gravel and loose sand. Very fast rolling. I'd love to try the Crows, tubeless-specific and lihter than my Karma's.
XC Racing is more about cornering precision and efficiency than stupid grip anyway.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
MMcG said:
Those tires seem plain stupid to me unless you are going to do an XC race on half pavement half hardpack. Where the hell are the knobbies??
You don't need knobs Mark. Drop the pressure, pick good rubber compounds, and roll. The tire is meant for lower pressures where the tires can conform and grip the terrain. Keep in mind the tread patterns and tires you are used to seeing and running were normally used with tubes at 35+ psi. Open your mind a bit. I get calls daily from people that say "I've got to run high pressure to go fast" and I just got back from Mt Snow where the winner in the pro women's xc was running 18 & 20 psi and the men's winner was running 24 & 26 psi (on 26" wheels for the record). Both were running tubeless with standard tires on our wheels but that's a whole other topic. You can argue that they are more skilled or more smooth, etc than the average rider but there is no denying that low pressures has changed and will continue to change the way people ride.

The Crow isn't a perfect tire for everyone, everywhere but it does work for more than hardpack and pavement.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mike B. said:
You don't need knobs Mark. Drop the pressure, pick good rubber compounds, and roll. The tire is meant for lower pressures where the tires can conform and grip the terrain. Keep in mind the tread patterns and tires you are used to seeing and running were normally used with tubes at 35+ psi. Open your mind a bit. I get calls daily from people that say "I've got to run high pressure to go fast" and I just got back from Mt Snow where the winner in the pro women's xc was running 18 & 20 psi and the men's winner was running 24 & 26 psi (on 26" wheels for the record). Both were running tubeless with standard tires on our wheels but that's a whole other topic. You can argue that they are more skilled or more smooth, etc than the average rider but there is no denying that low pressures has changed and will continue to change the way people ride.

The Crow isn't a perfect tire for everyone, everywhere but it does work for more than hardpack and pavement.
How bout a pair for testing purposes! :D

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Man, you 29er guys are all alike, Cloxxki already beat you to the punch there ;)

Maybe he'll let you try them once he's worn off all the tread ... oh wait, nevermind :D

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
MMcG said:
hahaha!

Mike - will Stans be coming out with additional 29er tires??
We would certainly like to down the road. We've spent a great deal of effort on the bead strength issue and on making the tires easier to seal without adding a lot of weight and if the Crow is successful I can see doing some other tread patterns.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Yep, have been for over a year now. I left behind higher pay with better benefits and don't miss it one bit. I was doing pretty cool work before and had a good boss and co-workers for the most part but this is more fun and fulfilling. There is something very satisifying about designing something and then seeing it help racers to the podium or riders to enjoy their ride even more than before. I was just at Mt Snow and got to see our wheels take 1st and 2nd in the pro men's xc and 1st in the pro women's as well as assorted other top 20 finishes and enjoyed every minute of it. I'd been doing part-time work with Stan for 4 years prior to going full-time. The tires were over 2 years in the making.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
fubar5 said:
Mike, if you don't mind my asking, what is your engineering discipline?
My degree is in industrial and manufacturing engineering but I have a little concentration (not a minor) in mechanical as well. Took some extra thermo, machine design, and materials classes. I'm also two classes off a math minor but I think I forgot most of that stuff in the last few years. Prior to the bike business I worked with subway and commuter rail cars then helicopters.

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
Mike B. said:
My degree is in industrial and manufacturing engineering but I have a little concentration (not a minor) in mechanical as well. Took some extra thermo, machine design, and materials classes. I'm also two classes off a math minor but I think I forgot most of that stuff in the last few years. Prior to the bike business I worked with subway and commuter rail cars then helicopters.
Cool, right now I'm in a mechanical program and the bicycle industry is where I would like to end up. Being involved in anything cycling related while in college is my strategy right now. Hopefully it will all look good on a resume. Calling up a few companies to see if they are interested in an intern or summer hire is something I've considered as well.

Anyway, Notubes has got to be a sweet job.

matt