Quantcast

Nova Scotia/Quebec/Ottawa Riding

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sup.

Traveling to Nova Scotia (Pictou) for a wedding this July and am in the planning phase. I am planning on driving out with my bike, getting the wedding crap over with and bailing out to go riding. Most likely just bringing the trail bike.

Any suggestions on some good spots to ride? I will be alone... I know Mont Sainte Anne is pretty much right along the route, but I don't want to bring the DH bike out there just for that. I also don't want to ride those rockz all alone.

I guess if I did bring the DH bike, I could do MSA AND Bromont. :brows:

I am pretty much open to anything right now. Plans are to drive from Toronto, skirt by Ottawa and head out to Quebec City and go straight to Nova Scotia. Am not going through the USA.

@slyfink
@jdcamb any suggestions on some good places to eat that are cheap and out in the middle of nowhere?

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Hello from Nova Scotia!

I'd bring a good trail bike or enduro ride to get the most out of your trip. Pictou has some great riding near by in Scotsburn at Fitzpartick mountain or head the other direction and go to Keppcoh and ride some DH, they have shuttle DH there on the weekends and a nice, always growing network of xc trails.

I live in Wolfville and am surrounded by tones of great riding! I'd be glad to go for a spin with you.

Be sure to check out The Gorge in Kentville, it's is an older trail with lots of great technical riding and a small skills park. Lots of development happening at there all the time.

Reservoir Park in Wolfville is a newer system with all bench cut trails, tones of TTF's and a big skills park with lots of fun stuff to play on.

Also, look into The Links in Woodville, it's a big trail area with a mix of single and double track trails.

I have fun invite only DH area near by too, hike ups but well worth the effort. You'll be fine on a trail bike but a FR / Enduro / DH / slang term of the month for fun time machine with two wheels is better. Good chance you'll slash your tires on a xc bike up there.

Keep me in the loop if you want a tour guide. My schedule is pretty flexible as I'm self employed.

Cheers,
Ryan

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hello from Nova Scotia!

I'd bring a good trail bike or enduro ride to get the most out of your trip. Pictou has some great riding near by in Scotsburn at Fitzpartick mountain or head the other direction and go to Keppcoh and ride some DH, they have shuttle DH there on the weekends and a nice, always growing network of xc trails.

I live in Wolfville and am surrounded by tones of great riding! I'd be glad to go for a spin with you.

Be sure to check out The Gorge in Kentville, it's is an older trail with lots of great technical riding and a small skills park. Lots of development happening at there all the time.

Reservoir Park in Wolfville is a newer system with all bench cut trails, tones of TTF's and a big skills park with lots of fun stuff to play on.

Also, look into The Links in Woodville, it's a big trail area with a mix of single and double track trails.

I have fun invite only DH area near by too, hike ups but well worth the effort. You'll be fine on a trail bike but a FR / Enduro / DH / slang term of the month for fun time machine with two wheels is better. Good chance you'll slash your tires on a xc bike up there.

Keep me in the loop if you want a tour guide. My schedule is pretty flexible as I'm self employed.

Cheers,
Ryan
Hey Ryan, thanks for all the info! I literally have no idea about any trails out in your area, so this will be very useful.

I will most likely hit you up for a ride while I'm out there! The wedding is on July 2nd (Saturday) and I will have Sunday-Tuesday/Wednesday to go riding. Not a ton of time, but should be enough to hit 2 or 3 trail areas.

Looking forward to it!

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Good stuff.

Looking at my schedule, I'll be hosting a xc race in Wolfville on the 3rd, so will be tied up with that in the morning but can ride that afternoon and should be open the rest of those days.

Ha-ha if you want to come racing , I'll give you a bro deal on your entry fee!

Cheers,
Ryan

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Another place to consider for you is Sugarloaf near Campbellton, NB.
http://parcsugarloafpark.ca/bikepark/
I've never been there, but I heard it is awesome from people who have. Great place for flowy jump trails apparently.

If you bring a trail bike, some nice places to consider near Québec City in addition to MSA are Sentiers du Moulin (near Lac Beauport) and the Vallée Bras-du-Nord (near Saint-Raymond).

Just contact me if you want more info on places near Québec City.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@FlipSide thanks for the tips!

I am just starting to plan this out, the date is coming up quick. My very very vague plan is to leave Pictou on the Sunday and head out to somewhere and then start making my way to Quebec city. I think for ease of travel, I'll be staying near MSA.

I have no idea where I'm going to stay. I have a sleeping bag, so I can sleep in the car if needed haha. Need to really start planning this..

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
@FlipSide thanks for the tips!

I am just starting to plan this out, the date is coming up quick. My very very vague plan is to leave Pictou on the Sunday and head out to somewhere and then start making my way to Quebec city. I think for ease of travel, I'll be staying near MSA.

I have no idea where I'm going to stay. I have a sleeping bag, so I can sleep in the car if needed haha. Need to really start planning this..
The MSA campground is very nice if you have a tent. Just make sure to be in the tent section and not in the middle of the RV park.

There a quite nice XC singletracks surrounding the campground. Perfect for a quicky night ride. :)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The MSA campground is very nice if you have a tent. Just make sure to be in the tent section and not in the middle of the RV park.

There a quite nice XC singletracks surrounding the campground. Perfect for a quicky night ride. :)
Thanks again.

Do you have any friends who have ridden Sugarloaf? It might be interesting to stay there for a night, with a bed. If you have any buddies who have ridden there, ask what they'd think of riding a trail bike on the DH trails. I've ridden my trail bike once at Bromont, but it REALLY sucked.

So maybe...
  • Leave the wedding Sunday morning, ride somewhere in Nova Scotia
  • Sunday night - sleep in car...somewhere in Nova Scotia
  • Monday - Drive up to Sugarloaf
  • Monday night - stay at Sugar Loaf
  • Tuesday - Drive to MSA
  • Tuesday night - stay at MSA
  • Wednesday - Ride MSA
  • Wednesday - stay at MSA
  • Thursday - drive home...
  • Friday - work :(

Might be tight...Perhaps I should ask for the Friday off too. If I do that then maybe I can stop in Ottawa and ride there. @slyfink

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
Sugarloaf lift is open Thurs-Sun.
Sugarloaf, most trails are fun with a trail bike, a few others are rough. It's possible to ride up a dirt road to the trails, but someone working at the park may say not to.
MSA lift is Thurs-Mon. The xc/am trails are plenty fun and worth the visit.
In Quebec City area, Vallee Bras du Nord is also worth a visit.
While in NS, Fitzpatrick and Keppoch would be good for a day or two.
On the way north, depending if you go to Sugarloaf or not, Edmundston can be on the way, the xc trails are nice.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You should convince the happy couple to hold their wedding in British Columbia. :D
I know, right?! The groom clearly didn't make this decision. :busted:

@bigwheel Thanks! I didn't actually think about Mont St Anne and Sugarloaf NOT being open mon-wednesday. Hmmm. I was thinking about bringing both the DH and trail bike, but if that is the case then I will definitely be leaving the DH bike at home.

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
That would be an action-packed trip. Taking Friday off work was a good idea.
Keppoch for sure while you're in NS, 45min drive from Pictou. Pedal up to the dh trails, do as many laps as you can, take a break, then do a few more. Fitzpatrick is 10min or so from Pictou, spend a few hours there, ride Sweet Severn and Ella Awesome. Wolfville next. Ryan will know what to do.
Edmundston, NB, check veloedmundston for map and info. A few hours of xc gives a nice break in the drive to MSA.
Then MSA and VBN. At MSA, with the trail bike, be sure to ride La Cairn, L'Avenue Royale, L'Erabliere.
East Hereford looks good. I haven't been there yet. Close enough to Bromont.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@bigwheel @PepperJester

I guess this about two weeks away. I think I'm going to ride around Pictou (somewhere within 2 hours) and stay there another night...might as well if my friends and more beer are already there.

Can you guys point me to the trail heads of some spots around there? Any local maps or anything?

@FlipSide I am definitely riding a BUNCH around Quebec city. The place that @Jozz pointed out, in another thread, sounds pretty great (especially for a tourist like me :D ).

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
@canadmos : Do you know when you will be around here exactly? MSA has just announced that they will only open the gondola for DH late in july due to the bad trail conditions. I don't really know WTF is going on...:rant::banghead: There is still some interesting riding without the lift, but I'd advise riding less at MSA and more elsewhere if there is no lift access when you are around here. For example, if you have 3 days: hit up MSA for 1 day only and go to VBN and Sentiers du Moulin. I will be away for some time mid-july and I have a slipped disc condition that may not be 100% recovered in a few weeks. Let's at least make sure I point you to the best trails (by PM or in this thread) if I can't join you for a ride. :cheers:

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Yo.

Here is a map of Fitzpatrick. I don't get out that way to ride much so can't help allot on suggested routes. So um.. go up.. than down? http://www.trailforks.com/region/fitzpatrick-mountain/

If you can make it to The Valley (and you really should), I'll tour you around, we can easily full a day or two in the Wolfville/ Gaspereau / Kentville area. Be sure to hit up Reservoir Park in Wolfvile and The Gorge in Kentville. I can take you to our DH trails too. Also it time permits, do Cape Split, Blomidon and The Links.
Link to some areas trails http://www.trailforks.com/region/annapolis-valley/

I can also give up a couch or tent space in my yard. We're about 2hours even from Pictou. Well worth the drive in my opinion.

PM me and we'll sort it out!
- Ryan

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@PepperJester I'll send you a PM shortly. Working out the details here.

Looks like Sugarloaf bike park is only open Thursday-Sunday...bummer.

@FlipSide I'm looking at being in the Quebec city area for Thursday-Friday.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Change of plans here...

Due to Sugarloaf only being open Thursday-Sunday, I'm bailing on the entire New Brunswick riding thing. Tuesday I will use as a travel day and drive from Nova Scotia to Quebec City.

So then Wednesday I can ride Vallee Bras du Nord, Thursday will possibly be Saint Anne and then Friday possibly another trail ride around Quebec City.

Saturday and Sunday will be my travel time back to Toronto :(.

@slyfink have you ever ridden the trails in Brockville?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
@slyfink have you ever ridden the trails in Brockville?
I can't say that I have. I've heard about them, but never made the trek. I've heard they're sandy and drain well, so people tend to go early in the season. What day are you planning on coming through?

I'd be happy to show you around. From the West side of Montreal it's 1h40 to Ottawa, and 1h30 to Brockville... It's an hour back down to Brockville from Ottawa. So essentially, an hour detour for much better riding!

but the weekend of the 9-10th is a no-go for me, and I'm contemplating a trip to VT on the 16-17... that work with your schedule?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I can't say that I have. I've heard about them, but never made the trek. I've heard they're sandy and drain well, so people tend to go early in the season. What day are you planning on coming through?

I'd be happy to show you around. From the West side of Montreal it's 1h40 to Ottawa, and 1h30 to Brockville... It's an hour back down to Brockville from Ottawa. So essentially, an hour detour for much better riding!

but the weekend of the 9-10th is a no-go for me, and I'm contemplating a trip to VT on the 16-17... that work with your schedule?
I'll be swinging through the Ottawa area on the 9th most likely, bummer. I bet you've got some awesome trails out here....one day!

Brockville might be the best option; I'm thinking of doing those trails quickly on the way back home.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'll be swinging through the Ottawa area on the 9th most likely, bummer. I bet you've got some awesome trails out here....one day!

Brockville might be the best option; I'm thinking of doing those trails quickly on the way back home.
Hmmm... well, here's another option for you that may be better than Brockville: Mont Rigaud. I haven't been, but MMike is (was?) a regular... and right where the 20 and 40 split, very close to the beginning of the 401. It wouldn't be much of a detour, and from what I hear, it's a good little trail network. Certainly enough to keep you entertained for a few hours. http://ete.montrigaud.com/docs/carte_des_sentiers.pdf

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hmmm... well, here's another option for you that may be better than Brockville: Mont Rigaud. I haven't been, but MMike is (was?) a regular... and right where the 20 and 40 split, very close to the beginning of the 401. It wouldn't be much of a detour, and from what I hear, it's a good little trail network. Certainly enough to keep you entertained for a few hours. http://ete.montrigaud.com/docs/carte_des_sentiers.pdf
Good call! I have seen a few pictures and videos of this place, but completely forgot about it. Adding it to the list..