Quantcast

Novice Mom Needs Advice on Used Bike

andreajc14

Chimp
Jul 30, 2018
Hello,
I am looking to buy a used bike on Craigslist so I can hits the trails with my sons. I don't know a lot about used bikes and I plan to go on a test ride. I've read a lot of "what to look for" posts. Could someone tell me if this is a decent used bike for a 5'6" middle aged mama?

For sale is a good condition Raleigh M80 mountain bike. $250. This bike has been meticulously maintained. It's about a small/medium with a 16" seat tube. It would probably best fit someone about 5'4" to 5'9". It has the following upgrades:
-Avid brake levers
-Easton Monkeybar handlebars
-Oury handlebar grips
-WTB saddle
-Marzocchi suspension fork
-Thomson stem
-Alloy seatpost
-Shimano XT rear derailleur

Thank you!
Andrea

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that's not a bad spec for the asking price and the age. if it fits and you are comfortable on it it would likely be a good starter bike.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
That's a great price for a 'starter' bike, to see and feel if mountain biking is for you. If it is for you, you will want a bit 'more' bike, but that is nebulous...mostly depends on your budget.

andreajc14

Chimp
Jul 30, 2018
That's a great price for a 'starter' bike, to see and feel if mountain biking is for you. If it is for you, you will want a bit 'more' bike, but that is nebulous...mostly depends on your budget.
I have three kids, and two are into mountain biking. They took the budget. I'm low man on the pole. LOL Thanks.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
I am looking to buy a used bike on Craigslist so I can hits the trails with my sons.
Good on ya! :cheers: This planet needs moar moms like you! :headbang:I would even buy that bike for myself as a fun little throw around bike. You should defiantly snatch it up. :thumb:

I am probably going to get some hate for this but if you can swing it ... https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/nishiki-mens-colorado-comp-1x-27-5-mountain-bike-18nismnshkclrdcmpprf/18nismnshkclrdcmpprf

Thats if you decide you like the sport. Apparently, you can get it under $400 if you find it on sale. Add a shorter stem and cheap hydraulic brakes and get a pretty sweet bike for the price.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
From experience M80s were a good entry level bike, to me the $250.00 seems fair for the condition so you wont get hurt if you can't get a better price. My personal experience with Marzocchi forks has not been good in terms of reliability and required maintenance, if the fork is indeed an upgrade, I'd ask if it was it purchased new by the current owner? Has it been maintained? Has it ever had factory service?

How old is the rubber? Tires, tubes & brake pads? If they are old replacements could easily be an additional $75.00.

My best advice is to look into something like an new entry level Specialized Rockhopper with current component standards, disk brakes and a warranty. Those are somewhere in the $450 to $500 but are well worth it when you consider the potential issues a used bike might have.

andreajc14

Chimp
Jul 30, 2018
You guys must be fun at parties. LOL
I promise this is the last time I will ask for buy advice. I am pretty sure I know which one you'll advise but I wanted to ask the experts. I am down to these two. Much newer than the Raleigh. I went to the fancy bike shop last night and determined I want either the 27.5" or 29" wheel.
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bik/d/trek-mountain-bike/6638352162.html
This is a 2011: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=3075774

Cannondale Trail 5
"2017 Cannondale Trail 5 27.5, 15.5 inch frame. I bought it on a whim for my son to grow into but by the time that happens he’ll want something far more advanced than this. He rode it @ 2x and I did maybe 5x. Has a little run mark on the bottom of the top tube from my bike carrier."
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=3071545
Seller was going to ask $450 but will sell for $375.

Attachments

Last edited:

andreajc14

Chimp
Jul 30, 2018
Good on ya! :cheers: This planet needs moar moms like you! :headbang:I would even buy that bike for myself as a fun little throw around bike. You should defiantly snatch it up. :thumb:

I am probably going to get some hate for this but if you can swing it ... https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/nishiki-mens-colorado-comp-1x-27-5-mountain-bike-18nismnshkclrdcmpprf/18nismnshkclrdcmpprf

Thats if you decide you like the sport. Apparently, you can get it under $400 if you find it on sale. Add a shorter stem and cheap hydraulic brakes and get a pretty sweet bike for the price.

Thanks!!

andreajc14

Chimp
Jul 30, 2018
From experience M80s were a good entry level bike, to me the $250.00 seems fair for the condition so you wont get hurt if you can't get a better price. My personal experience with Marzocchi forks has not been good in terms of reliability and required maintenance, if the fork is indeed an upgrade, I'd ask if it was it purchased new by the current owner? Has it been maintained? Has it ever had factory service?

How old is the rubber? Tires, tubes & brake pads? If they are old replacements could easily be an additional $75.00.

My best advice is to look into something like an new entry level Specialized Rockhopper with current component standards, disk brakes and a warranty. Those are somewhere in the $450 to $500 but are well worth it when you consider the potential issues a used bike might have.
Thank you! I have learned so much about bikes in the last day! Check out my new post. Would you go for the 2011 Trek or 2017 Cannondale?