Quantcast

Novice Mom Needs Advice on Used Bike

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Hello Fellow Masshole. I am planning to ride at Callahan, Nickerson, Wompatuck and wherever else the boys take me (or I take the boys).
Nickerson on the Cape? If so, great easy single track riding in a tiny little state park. Enjoy.

That Cannondale will work well, BUT BUT BUT make sure you get sealant in the tubes ASAP. The bull-briars will put your ride to an end in minutes out there without sealant.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Actual advice with minimal heckling...what is this place coming to!?

All joking aside welcome to the circus. Of the 3 posted...I’d probably go with the Cannondale at that price. There are plenty of monkeys around you too if you get the urge to join in some group rides. I’m in NY but have been known to roadtrip. Both of my girls ride now too so that’s fun (though I definitely used th budget on my bikes and then hand themDown lol) Enjoy!!!

Last edited:

andreajc14

Chimp
Jul 30, 2018
Nickerson on the Cape? If so, great easy single track riding in a tiny little state park. Enjoy.

That Cannondale will work well, BUT BUT BUT make sure you get sealant in the tubes ASAP. The bull-briars will put your ride to an end in minutes out there without sealant.
What is this sealant of which you speak? I should start a new thread that I am looking for a mountain bike repair class too!

andreajc14

Chimp
Jul 30, 2018

All joking aside welcome to the circus. Of the 3 posted...I’d probably go with the Cannondale at that price. There are plenty of monkeys around you too if you get the urge to join in some group rides. I’m in NY but have been known to roadtrip. Both of my girls ride now too so that’s fun (though I definitely used th budget on my bikes and then hand themDown lol) Enjoy!!!
I'm picking up the Cannondale tonight which will likely get handed down to my middle son. He is 12 1/2 and starting in on some major puberty action. He's not quite ready for his next bike yet so I am going to ride that crap out of this one until he steals it from the shed.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I'm picking up the Cannondale tonight which will likely get handed down to my middle son. He is 12 1/2 and starting in on some major puberty action. He's not quite ready for his next bike yet so I am going to ride that crap out of this one until he steals it from the shed.
Don't worry, he will be too busy in his room for the next few years to ride much.

andreajc14

Chimp
Jul 30, 2018

Ok so I bought the Cannondale which promptly got handed over to my boy. I'm looking at this one for me because I want a 29" wheel. Whaddaya think:
https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bik/d/2013-trek-wahoo-mountain-bike/6683487909.html

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I'm not on the book of faces, so didn't see your links but you mentioned a used motobecane...

The new models are dirt cheap, tons of choices re: cheaper components vs. nicer.

I haven't ridden them -- I was looking at picking up a 2nd cheaper fatbike for the wifelet a while back and seems like they're well regarded as a cheaper alternative entry level manufacturer, and make some high end (Ti) frames too:

http://bikesdirect.com/

#back_to_the_nonhelpful_asshatery_already_in_progress