Quantcast

now 33.95lbs!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Saints, 08 ATA WC? No way it's that light unless other parts are simply made of paper.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Cool. I can post a picture of a bike on a scale and show it to weigh 3 pounds. Doesn't mean the scale is right.

NOTHING on that bike is super light. Not the cranks, fork, wheels, or anything else. I have guys locally that have lighter builds then that, and they weigh more. That scale is either screwed, or they have different gravity where that girl lives.

Hence, bull****.

SupaTone

Monkey
Jun 5, 2008
French Alps
Since it was on the scales, it now has xt cranks (165mm). The tyres are single ply and the tubes are 1 euro from the supermarket.

Bring it on Drop Machine, I wanna see your money!!
Intense Socom frame - small - all the Hope parts are the lightest there are. Air Shock, Air Fork, LG1, Hollow chain - where is the weight coming from???

jsh191

Monkey
Nov 16, 2006
birdsboro, pa
love seeing pics of bikes being weighed by the seat...

first of all, that doesn't produce an accurate measurement; the bike is supposed to weighed from the center of gravity balance point on the top tube. if you simply hang the bike from the seat or anywhere else that isn't balanced with the center of gravity, the weight will be off by a significant amount.

that bike may be light, but the reading on the scale isn't accurate for the bike...

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Ya seriously... there is no way that thing is that light. Nothing other than the air shock actually stands out as light-weight to begin with anyway.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

first of all, that doesn't produce an accurate measurement; the bike is supposed to weighed from the center of gravity balance point on the top tube. if you simply hang the bike from the seat or anywhere else that isn't balanced with the center of gravity, the weight will be off by a significant amount.

that bike may be light, but the reading on the scale isn't accurate for the bike...
er... if it's hanging from anything, the CoM will rotate to directly below the point it's being hung from... you could hang it from the front wheel and the reading would be the same.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Since it was on the scales, it now has xt cranks (165mm). The tyres are single ply and the tubes are 1 euro from the supermarket.

Bring it on Drop Machine, I wanna see your money!!
Intense Socom frame - small - all the Hope parts are the lightest there are. Air Shock, Air Fork, LG1, Hollow chain - where is the weight coming from???
Air fork that weights a good amount more then a Boxxer world cup.

Hope parts are light, at least the hubs are. Brakes are not, although they are decent for sure.

Large rotors are heavy.

saint cranks are heavy. Good luck with the xts, I have seen two bent pairs here so far.

Not saying its not a light build, but 33? No. 36 I would beleive. 35 even.

Also whats the point in putting single ply tires on? They're going to pop, so is it just small dick syndrome stiking to get the low bragging weight? Never understood that.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
08 ATA WC is not that light ppl so I don't know why you say it helps when it weights 6.94lbs as stated on marz international site.

SupaTone

Monkey
Jun 5, 2008
French Alps
okay, weigh this lot up...

Frame: Intense Socom / Small
Forks: Marzocchi 888 ATA World Cup
Shock: Marzocchi Roco Air RC World Cup
Stem: Hope 50mm
Headset: Hope Zero Stack
Handlebars: Sunline V1
Grips: Sunline Lock-on / White
Brakes: Hope M4 200mm front/160mm rear
Seat: BBB
Seatpost: BBB
Pedals: Tioga
Bottom Bracket: Hope Ceramic
Cranks: XT 165mm
Chain: Sram Hollow
Chain devise: LG1
Hubs: Hope Pro II 20mm Front and 135mm Rear
Rims: DT 5.10
Spokes: DT
Tyres: SuperTacky 1ply

Also, please can somebody show me a lighter DH fork than the 6.94 lb 888?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm not sure the weight is inaccurate... but if it is:

I notice that the scale pic doesn't show the whole bike, I'd be willing to be the front wheel is resting on the ground. Might not have seemed a big deal to you at the time, but could make all the difference. Or a small weight was hung on it and then it re-zeroed before hanging the bike, which would suck because then you're deliberately talking crap.

FWIW though the weight is achievable, I think I worked out that with a socom frame and air shock/fork my bike would be sub 33lb. My DHi is currently 35.4 with DHX and boxxer team. You can certainly go quite a bit lighter by chaning out the forks for boxxer airs, pedals for dmr v12 mag/ti, cranks for xtr, brakes for formula the ones, seatpost & saddle for somethign decent, etc etc. In fact the more I look at your spec list the more I doubt your weight.

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
finally someone with some intelligence!
Yeah, but the build on my DHi is MUCH lighter than the build on this socom. Frame shock & rims aside, I don't think there's a single part on the socom that weighs less than what I'm running on my DHi.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
An email I had to send to a friend:

seb's email said:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203538

"love seeing pics of bikes being weighed by the seat...

first of all, that doesn't produce an accurate measurement; the bike is supposed to weighed from the center of gravity balance point on the top tube. if you simply hang the bike from the seat or anywhere else that isn't balanced with the center of gravity, the weight will be off by a significant amount. "

hahahahahahahaha
And the reply:
seb's friend said:
that is indeed hilarious, I'm disappointed more people didn't ridicule him big style
Sorry, couldn't help meself :busted:

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara

dude, what the he!! kind of physics did you learn. go back to kindergarten and use your brain.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
finally someone with some intelligence!
Clearly you're not speaking about yourself.

I just want to agree with everything dropmachine has said. He's clearly built a light bike, used parts that are too light, rectified the situation and come back up to the line. I know because I've been down the same road - bent numerous XT cranks, flatted XC tubes, and won't even bother with single-ply tyres.

But even given all those stupid choices, there's no way that bike weighs what you claim it does. The 888ATA is one pig of an air fork, and the Roco Air isn't a whole lot better. Your assumption that a suspension product is light because it is air sprung is an interesting one. In actual fact the 888ATA at 3150g (uncut steerer) is as heavy if not heavier than many coil forks (Boxxer Race, Boxxer Team, Fox 40 to name a few) let alone air forks that are actually light, like the Boxxer World Cup. Similarly, the Roco Air shock is 80-100g heavier than its competition (DHX Air).

Beyond that, the hope brakes aren't particularly light, neither is the sunline bar, and given that to (realistically) achieve a weight like the one you have posted, all these things have to be considered far more critically than you have... I think it's safe to dismiss your claimed weight as a crock. It might be your fault, it might be the scale's fault, either way... it sounds pretty far from reality.

But reality and weights aside, single ply tyres and xc tubes aren't going to get you far on the WC circuit. Good luck with that.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
This bike belongs to a 12yo girl based out here in Morzine. She is damn fast and constantly kicks ass both in BMX and DH here in France. She will definitely be one to watch in the future of these sports. She is sponsored by Intense cycles (who, I believe made a special frame for her), Hope (hence the team-only pink), Marzocchi, Oakley and others. Her mentor is Vanessa Quin and she gets to ride with some big names.

I have seen the bike on the scales too and can verify the weight... It is ridiculously light. You fatties couldn't ride it...

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I hear light colors (pink, baby blue, white) are lighter than darker colors. That's a pound right there!

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
- jsh191 said:
Love seeing pics of bikes being weighed by the seat...

first of all, that doesn't produce an accurate measurement;
WTF, you must be joking, right?

Next time i weight myself i will do it upside down I'm sure i can be lighter... my god!!

Last edited:

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland

you is loco man :crazy:

as said before it doesn't matter where you hang it from to weigh it!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA

HAHA. dude, are you serious?

you are waaay overthinking this. please review your textbook of common sense once again.

EDIT: looks like i was a little late in chiming in on that one, but still! who really thinks that? LOL.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
roco wc air 550g
888 ata wc 6.96 lbs no stem (with axle and crowns)

I dont know if I believe 33lbs I call BS as well, my frame is 8.25 no shock and I have lighter components than that and with single plys im 36lbs almost dead on!
I have the roco wc air as well as the 888 ata wc!
Plus my frames anoed not powder coated!

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Not that it matters since I will never ride it but, definitely BS. The sicklines socom was lighter in every way except the shock and it came in at 35. Maybe if it had 160mm juicy ultimates, I9 wheelset, XTR cranks, mag pedals, and the white bros 5.6lb DH fork.