Quantcast

now 33.95lbs!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Around 34lbs is definitely possible with this frame. I have a small SOCOM also and the weight of mine is 34lbs. Now I have XM819 rims and extremely light 2.35ST LUST tyres and XC spokes so alot of the weight is saved here but it also has carbon bars, carbon chain device, XTR cranks, XO shifter and mech, fox 40RC2 with the lightest spring weight available, DHX with 250lb Ti spring.....so it is possible....

Katie
Great looking bike Katie! How do you manage to ride the tire and wheel setup?

Nothing like a light fast accelerating wheelset well except if you live on the rocky East Coast of the US :)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Cheers CBJ. I weigh 115lbs so they don't really cause me any hassle. They are pretty strong and were built by one of the best mechanics - Andy Kyffin (Steve Peat's ex mechanic). He recommended I ran this set up and I have run the wheels for 3 years now and never had any punctures, dings or broken spokes and they have been to The Alps for month long summers.
Not a bad mechanic. My experience from the bike shop and riding shows the same that the right type wheel greatly depends on rider, riding style, bike etc.

I am a big fan of UST and wouldn't mind trying the LUST.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I just ask because I am in the process of building the wife a bike.
She's a girl, its a Demo 7, want to build something that won't be a total lead sled.

But again I need to be somewhat economically responsible.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
hold the presses ...

bikemag.com is showing off one of the new Trek DH bikes at 32.15#.
Sorry guys and girls ... your Socoms are now officially piggies.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah I think the same goes for all bike parts. You have to take into consideration the person riding the bike and their style. I am a light rider and tend to be pretty smooth and with the rest of my bike being light weight the wheels suit me down to the ground.

UST is an awesome system. I have always run 2.35 ST High Rollers since having these wheels and compared to a tubed set up they are by far more reliable and allow for a greater range of pressures without worrying about pinch flats. I have also tried the Michelin DH 16 and 24 combo and compared to the Maxxis they weigh a hell of alot. The LUST are a bit lighter than the UST and have a better sidewall technology to add a bit more strength. But as like I said, they suit me but wouldn't necessarily suit a 200lb more aggressive rider.
Do you like the pretty hard compound the HR 2.35 LUST comes in? This is its major drawback IMO. If it would come in 40 SR it would be awesome.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
That is what I realized when I looked into the tire. You can of course place orders from the UK and have them shipped here but I don't think that is worth it.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
It won't be long before DH bikes drop below the 30 lb mark while still being strong.
Feel free to berate me if it ever happens but unless we develope an anti gravity material, that isn't going to happen, unless you're talking about strong for a 110lb person, then it's possible.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
DT Swiss will make the bike and have believe that its perfectly natural that the frame deforms over a couple of rides to avoid wrist fatigue.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
anyone ever stop and think that maybe intense built her a custom, super-light-engineered-for-a-12-year-old-girl race worthy socom frame???

they do that kind of stuff, yaknow...SMT got a custom M3 that weighed over 1 pound less than stock.

the bike looks sick!

and people, 33.95 is more like 34...not 33...and yes, the scale says 34.65...

either way, it seems reasonable to me, especially with a custom frame.

you guys need to ride more.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Again it's the rider not the bike.. Who cares if someone's bike weighs 20 pounds. If you got some weekend rider and put them on a 20 pound dh bike vs a pro on a 43 pound bike who do you think would win?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I got mine down to high 37 lbs. If I would get rid of the odometer, downtube guard, front derailer, and went to single plys Id be around 35 lbs. Ive seen a few small Socoms around 34-35.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
this i don't belive
Well dig your head out of your ass and believe it.

The only parts on a downhill bike that are any heavier than an xc bike are the frame, fork, cranks, wheels and tires.

The socom frame w/ rear shock is about 2lbs heavier than most 5" xc full suspension bikes. 3 lbs for the fox 40, 1.25 lbs for heavy duty UST wheels, .75 lbs for cranks and 2.5 lbs for the pair of tires. Everything else is about the same unless you're the type of guy that runs a Love Seat. Even still, there are lots of people that get away with XTR cranks and Stan's Flow or DT 5.1 rims.

There is no reason that a Socom should be more than 10 lbs heavier than a similar build quality xc fs bike.

Feel free to berate me if it ever happens but unless we develope an anti gravity material, that isn't going to happen, unless you're talking about strong for a 110lb person, then it's possible.
My bike has held up fine to me (except for the ISCG tabs, but that isn't related) and I weigh all of 200 lbs plus gear. Maybe you guys need to stop and realize that Intense does some crafty work with their frames compared to the straight guage poop pipe that other companies use to build their heavy beasts with.

are you positive about that?
They make them, or at least used to. I have a set from 2005, but haven't been able to find them since.

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
So, Jeff, now you have been given examples of other 34lb Socoms, are you going to offer any kind of apology to the OP?

As far as I know, Jeff (Steber) built this frame custom for her, so it may well be using lighter tubing.

SupaTone

Monkey
Jun 5, 2008
French Alps
Damo, this one was not built custom for her it is a standard small Socom. Those are the crc boys that were at our place that have the custom frames.

Still light though!!

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
That video... wow. She is one of the few female riders I've seen who actually looks properly at home on a DH bike. Impressive for a girl in general, unbelievable for a 12 year old.

I'm still skeptical about the weight, but whatever, clearly it's light anyway. If it really is as light as claimed that's pretty cool.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Weight is legit, but single ply tyres and normal tubes means only a 12year old girl could get away with riding it. :)

Cool bike. I likes it.

I have no life-

front rim 500
rear rim 500
tube f 160
tube r 160 standard tube weight
rim tape 30 velox
spokes f 138 revo
spokes r 138 revo
hub f 180
hub rear 290
nipples 20 al
tyre r 850 2.35 sp hr
tyre f 850
cranks + bb 1000 not sure if hope bbh saves any weight
chain guide 230 iscg no taco
chain ring 44 36 e13
cr bolts 10
derailleur 192
shifter 110
cable 60 xtr
bars 260
stem 145
headset 100 guess here
spacers 10
grips 100
seat 199 comp design bbb (lightest bbb made?)
seat post 200 235 at 300, so guessing here
seat clamp 20
fork 3100 50 gram removed for cut steer
frame 3100 large is 3230, so buit of a guess
axle 80 unknown brand?
chain 250 279 full length
pedals 460 tioga mx
brake front 430 with 180 rotor
brake rear 430
rear shock 520 weighed mine
shock hardware 100 bolts are 60+ spacers
cassette 325 looks like a sram boat anchor to me
taco 76

total 15367 33.87lb

Save more weight- durace cassette, ti axle mg1 pedals, masterpiece seatpost cut right down, lighter slr seat.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Easy to say when you live in Whistler :) but I do agree the more biking the better. I have since May been on the bike two times a week and it feels great and I am getting in better and better shape.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Easy to say when you live in Whistler :) but I do agree the more biking the better. I have since May been on the bike two times a week and it feels great and I am getting in better and better shape.
yeah, I did something like 20 days on the bike in may, and am probably pushing 40+ on the season thus far...can't get enough!

.......screw arguing about a pound here or there, ride more and get faster.......

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
Rock On little RIPPER!

Awesome to see the Groms pinning it... wish i was riding when i was that young...

it's only a matter of time before that girl will be beating pro level Men... i think Rach Atherton beat the last 15 pro men at Andorra.. albeit i'm sure many of them didn't have clean runs....

Beautiful bike too.

For a young 85lb racer, that bike could be built up to be a 30lbs race bike - NO PROBLEM. The current build is light but could be made lighter without question.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
it's only a matter of time before that girl will be beating pro level Men... i think Rach Atherton beat the last 15 pro men at Andorra.. albeit i'm sure many of them didn't have clean runs....
It has been done already. Missy Giove's time at some races would have been good for a top 20 men result back in the day! :thumb:

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
very sexy bike
i dont know exact weights of all parts, but lets possibly see how long this bike stays true sound with such light parts

ie maybe custom thinner tubing in frame? i didnt read the WHOLE intire thread, maybe someone stated that it is a normal socom frame?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'm sure SuperTone will pipe in (with photos too I hope), but I just returned from a race with her.

She kicked ass. She was clearing a large road-gap jump many blokes weren't doing.

She came second to a 14yo, but only because she had to repeatedly stop to clear mud from the frame to allow the wheels to rotate. I guess being light has its downsides eh?

There were times her bike would have weighed more than 50lbs I'm sure. The mud was insane. If SuperTone doesnt post some pics, I will later.

Great riding Tahnee.