Quantcast

now that we're talking about teen driving...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Dont end up like I did from a totaled car...
with a new car, and a new girl friend.
oh wait...thats a good thing.

nevermind.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Take your time: no running yellow lights, tailgating if the person in front is driving 5mph slower than you are.

Also know what the car in front of you, the car behind, and on the sides as well.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
oh, and you will end up with a parallel parking spot thats smaller then your car, but act as if the two cones have a cement barrier between the 2 cones. I made the mistake of backing up just close enough so I wouldnt hit the 2 cones, but went between the 2, apparently you cant do that.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
oh, and you will end up with a parallel parking spot thats smaller then your car, but act as if the two cones have a cement barrier between the 2 cones. I made the mistake of backing up just close enough so I wouldnt hit the 2 cones, but went between the 2, apparently you cant do that.
your saying you parked in the spot correctly and you can't do that? that doesn't make sense

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Just be careful in general. If something seems stupid, it probably is, and you only get so many freebies.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
your saying you parked in the spot correctly and you can't do that? that doesn't make sense
The thing for me was they wanted me to parallel park in a spot that my car wouldnt fit in. So when I attempted it I had to get as far back, and forward as I could once in the spot to readjust. And since there to cones in front and back to represent the front and back on a car, you're not supposed to have any part of your car go between them. I couldnt fit though, and so I pulled forward and back enough so I wouldnt hit the cones, but my car was a good foot beyond the cones, just not touching them. As a result, she marked me down.

P.S. I didnt know the speed limit where I was (not where I lived, and I didnt see a sign) so I just went 25 MPH, well turns out the limit was 30mph but she never said anything, so going less is better.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Be a courteous driver, but don't be a pvssy either.

Don't slow down on entrance ramps.

If you see a goddamn idiot installing a light fixture in a boom basket blocking both lanes up ahead, and likely to block the right lane once he gets "out of the way", signal your intentions, check your blind spot, and move into the left lane as soon as you can.

This avoids a huge backup of cars due to a$$holes staying in the right hand lane and expecting the everyone to stop the world because they were too retarded to be looking further ahead.

I mean, the fackin basket is 20' up in the air! It's not like some fairy is trying to park is Smart car up ahead in the right lane! That kind of thing can be impossible to see, so in that case, getting caught in the right lane is understandable. But for Chrissakes! When you see one of these:

up ahead in the right hand lane. Move over.

Just sayin'.

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
Watch out for motorcycles and bicycles! I ride one of the two into work year round and there are some people who seem to think having 4 wheels instead of 2 gives them right of way. Until I started commuting on them I never realized how little I had paid attention in my car. I'm now careful to check the bike lane before I make a left hand turn and try not to brake in the middle of a corner with a motorcycle behind me, etc... I'd be happy to continue but I'll get off my rant now.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Thats what I was thinking, If about the test, Just dont be stressed. Take your time, and just do it right. As far as driving, most everyone has already said it, Your not invincable, if it seems like its a bad idea, it probably is, and just realize, your a young driver, keep the music down, keep the friends with you to a minimum and just overall pay attention.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Make sure to study the written part, i got questions 3 4 and 5 wrong on mine and your only allowed 4 wrong in CT. The driving part is easy, i just got on the highway, got off, drove some back roads, back-in parked, and drove back to the DMV. If your state has graduated licensing, embrace it, it'll probably save you quite a bit on insurance.

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
dont be part of the statistic. My uncle is an insurance man and 84% of teen drivers have an accident or ticket of some sort in the 1st yr, hair over 70% of that was teen guys. Hence the reason girls and good grades have discounts.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wish they would make getting a car license as tough as getting a motorcycle endorsement.

But then I got a bus license in the Army and that "test" was a joke.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
I already took the written a few months ago, and I'm going for the driving test on Saturday which i heard is a joke here in washington. I'm just asking about driving in general which seems to be just don't be stupid and pay attention

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
-don't talk on the cell phone and drive. The scariest place in city is the vicinity of the high school when school lets out.

-avoid left turns across traffic if it's really busy out. Just go around the block, will ya?

-save socializing for after you get there. Animated conversations and teenagers is a bad mix.

(mom of two teen drivers here)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Holy cow Brian. There was a DUI yesterday in Oakland that killed 2 girls and critically injured the other two passengers. The oldest person in the car was 23.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i got my license a few weeks ago..... test was easy but i have already turned a bambi into rudolph in my moms van. I live in the country and I have texted and drove, drove to fast, and done stupid burnouts in vans.... i have also noticed myself getting more and more lazy behind the wheel. also i cant here anything when my musics to loud.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i got my license a few weeks ago..... test was easy but i have already turned a bambi into rudolph in my moms van. I live in the country and I have texted and drove, drove to fast, and done stupid burnouts in vans.... i have also noticed myself getting more and more lazy behind the wheel. also i cant here anything when my musics to loud.
Thats worse than this Gal I saw today Eating a Bowl of ceral while driving a Manual trans vehicle

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Yeah really don't drive anyone for a while, i'd have been screwed. Cellphones are really distracting, you'll normally drive 10mph below the limit while using one. Eating is difficult, make sure the cupholders are easily accessible if your drinking a non-alcoholic beverage because otherwise you devote too much time to putting the drink back (i have this problem in my truck). Don't drive near pinkshirtphotos.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Yeah really don't drive anyone for a while, i'd have been screwed. Cellphones are really distracting, you'll normally drive 10mph below the limit while using one. Eating is difficult, make sure the cupholders are easily accessible if your drinking a non-alcoholic beverage because otherwise you devote too much time to putting the drink back (i have this problem in my truck). Don't drive near pinkshirtphotos.
i dont talk on my cell phone but i do text. i just put my drink between my legs when i drive for easy access and vw cupholders suck. eating is easy... driving with your knees is a trick.