Quantcast

Now that's a stem !

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
she has to run a stem like that b/c of her height. if she were to run a stem with rise to it or even a 0* it would put her at to high of a height

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
whats the deal with her bike being so small?her knees are hitting her arms when she pedals.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
But look at her oposite leg. Its got a proper extension. What she might do well with is a shorter crank. That's why it looks as though the bike is too small. Her body position does look a little cramped though.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
no biggie; remember when Cannondales used to run stems like that all the time? My old Proflex did the same thing b/c otherwise with that Girvin fork the front end was waaaay too high. It probably helps her keep the front end planted when climbing, at least it helped me....

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Tinker ran his stem dropped like that on his old head shock units back in the day. It does seem strange but that Head shock frame had a TALL front end anyway.....and well Tinker wasn't exactly the Jolly Green Giant.

:)

I think I would run a rising stem on a road bike too. :o: :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The headtube on my Superlight is stupid long. I have to run my stem upside down to get the proper bar position. Womens bikes have to have high front ends compared to saddle heights to get full fork lengths, an inverted stem does a good job at fixing that.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
sure, tinker rode a -30 degree stem, but the height of a headshok is massive in compaison with a RS, also the headtube on all cannondales is the same, wether you have a small or a large, I've ridden negative stems before, but this one takes the cake, what ever benefit she is gainning on the climbs, is def. lost on all tech descents.

I could kinda understand it if she was using a 100mm fork.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Look at the photo again. It appears the bars are pretty close to the saddle height. That's no detriment to descending or technical flatish stuff. In fact her back is at around 45 degrees or even more upright. THAT is what dictates good position. The bars and saddle get moved up and down forward and back to get the proper body position for good pedaling efficiency and technical profficiency. That said, I still think she's got an odd fit. She looks a bit cramped, but in one photo it's hard to judge.

And to an extent, if a rider needs unusual stems, it suggests to me the bike don't fit. But being 5'5" I understand why she's fit that way. I run a flat bar and -6 Eston stem 110mm length to get the bar about level with the saddle. A shorter more upright position would help in one situation, steeps slopes with sudden transitions or holes at the bottom. Bit for climbing that position rules and on the twisty technical trails I like which have short steep ups and downs and lots of turns and roots and logs, that position is better than the too upright stance. Its just more balanced.

I'm also running a Minute 100mm fork on a Blur and that fork tends to sit high in its travel because of the SPV valving. So a lower position is needed to get me where I want.

Of course, your mileage might vary.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I have had to build XC race bikes like that for smaller riders and always get the same reaction. Look at the HB height relative to the seat height. Its normal.
Also keep in micd that different frame mfg's will spec different length head tubes.