Quantcast

Now this is blatant false advertising...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
"Adobe® Font Folio™ OpenType® Edition is a collection of more than 2,200 fonts in OpenType format, offering a complete type solution for print, the Web, digital video, or electronic documents. "
There are only a few hundred fonts in there, but they are counting the different type styles of the same typeface as seperate fonts... Not to mention that many of the typefaces are almost identical to each other...

For $9,000 I would expect more from Adobe. :mumble:
 

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
21,033
1
Denver
Tenchiro said:
There are only a few hundred fonts in there, but they are counting the different type styles of the same typeface as seperate fonts... Not to mention that many of the typefaces are almost identical to each other...

For $9,000 I would expect more from Adobe. :mumble:
technically, it's correct... the italic, bold, whathaveyou version is a seperate font. Together, it's a font family.

As for "almost identical", typographers, such as myself would argue that similar fonts do have different and appreciative characteristics.

All that said, typography is dead art :(
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
LordOpie said:
technically, it's correct... the italic, bold, whathaveyou version is a seperate font. Together, it's a font family.

As for "almost identical", typographers, such as myself would argue that similar fonts do have different and appreciative characteristics.

All that said, typography is dead art :(
Sure there are subtle differences but who wants 50 almost identical font families...
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
They do have some real nice fonts, I was just hoping to be overwhelmed when I loaded them into Extensis.

If I paid for it I would be ticked though...
 

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
21,033
1
Denver
Tenchiro said:
Sure there are subtle differences but who wants 50 almost identical font families...
I'm just sayin'... not fraud.

And the only people who buy entire libraries are service bureaus, printers, large agencies.
 

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
7,344
41
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Tenchiro said:
There are only a few hundred fonts in there, but they are counting the different type styles of the same typeface as seperate fonts... Not to mention that many of the typefaces are almost identical to each other...

For $9,000 I would expect more from Adobe. :mumble:
How you liking the 500 versions of helvetica? Just kidding, I have probably 300 helveticas and I prefer Frutiger as my plain san serif font so all my helveticas are pretty much useless :) Still, my favorite often changes... From about 99-2002 I liked the, Akzidenz Grotesque family the best, then Universe, Now Frutiger. One day maybe I'll go through Helvetica phase :)

Im hitting about 2900 fonts on my workstation without the fontfolio. Just years at agencies many fonts found their way into my collection. So many I am managing them with Font resrve. I rarely use 75% of them.
 

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
18,045
0
Towing the party line.
golgiaparatus said:
How you liking the 500 versions of helvetica? Just kidding, I have probably 300 helveticas and I prefer Frutiger as my plain san serif font so all my helveticas are pretty much useless :) Still, my favorite often changes... From about 99-2002 I liked the, Akzidenz Grotesque family the best, then Universe, Now Frutiger. One day maybe I'll go through Helvetica phase :)

Im hitting about 2900 fonts on my workstation without the fontfolio. Just years at agencies many fonts found their way into my collection. So many I am managing them with Font resrve. I rarely use 75% of them.
font reserve huh? do tell.. i need a new font management app on my powerbook.

I always just used an older version of ATM on my pc workstation..
 

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
7,344
41
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Transcend said:
font reserve huh? do tell.. i need a new font management app on my powerbook.

I always just used an older version of ATM on my pc workstation..
Transcend said:
font reserve huh? do tell.. i need a new font management app on my powerbook.

I always just used an older version of ATM on my pc workstation..
there are several popular font management utilities out there Extensis Suitcase is the most popular followed by Font reserve. I had problems with ES back in the OS 7-8 days so I switched to FR and have use it ever since.

Basically it allows you to sort your fonts by folders if you like so you can activate them and deactivate them at will. I keep a few hundred active at a time... and turn them on and off depending on what I am working on. You can have a folder for each client for instance and if you are working for a client with a certain corp ID you can only have those specific fonts come up when you pull up the fonts in Quark or Illustrator or whatever you use. Keeps you from having to scroll through 2200 fonts just to get to what you want. Also it keeps your system from having to check the font folder all the time. When you activate a font the program adds it to your system's font folder... when you torn it off it takes oit out.

You can also preview fonts, type certain things in and see qhat they look like before you activate the font, etc, etc.

FR I think cost like $99... or at least it did a couple of years ago.

NOTE: is the :monkey: running like crap for anyone else?
 

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
18,045
0
Towing the party line.
golgiaparatus said:
there are several popular font management utilities out there Extensis Suitcase is the most popular followed by Font reserve. I had problems with ES back in the OS 7-8 days so I switched to FR and have use it ever since.

Basically it allows you to sort your fonts by folders if you like so you can activate them and deactivate them at will. I keep a few hundred active at a time... and turn them on and off depending on what I am working on. You can have a folder for each client for instance and if you are working for a client with a certain corp ID you can only have those specific fonts come up when you pull up the fonts in Quark or Illustrator or whatever you use. Keeps you from having to scroll through 2200 fonts just to get to what you want. Also it keeps your system from having to check the font folder all the time. When you activate a font the program adds it to your system's font folder... when you torn it off it takes oit out.

You can also preview fonts, type certain things in and see qhat they look like before you activate the font, etc, etc.

FR I think cost like $99... or at least it did a couple of years ago.

NOTE: is the :monkey: running like crap for anyone else?
I used to use adobe type manager to switch them on and off....

But by client is friggin brilliant, why didnt i think of that. As it is I make them styleguides to follow for in house work normally, now i can just set my font folder up using the styleguide and be done.

You sir, are my hero for today. now I just have to decide on my app of choice.
 

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
7,344
41
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Transcend said:
I used to use adobe type manager to switch them on and off....

But by client is friggin brilliant, why didnt i think of that. As it is I make them styleguides to follow for in house work normally, now i can just set my font folder up using the styleguide and be done.

You sir, are my hero for today. now I just have to decide on my app of choice.
Both FR and suitcase are both good apps. I don't know how Suitcase does its font previews anymore. In my opinion that's FR's weakspot where the actual organization features are its strong point. Also I think FR is a little cheaper, but $50 bucks or whatever is a small price to pay if you like an app that you use every day.

I'd like to be able to just roll over a font and have the "lazy dog" or some thing displayed. As is you have to click the preview button and that makes looking for a certain style a little time consuming than it could be. Especially with 3k fonts :rolleyes:, I really need to streamline my collection.

As for the client/font thing. I also have folders set up with all helvetica, or all futura, etc... that way I can turn on a whole family without having to select each one. Either way Its really is good... I keep a select few families and favorites open all the time plus my system fonts but other than that my font pallette is usually pretty clean :)
 

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
2,131
0
Denver, CO
LordOpie said:
As for "almost identical", typographers, such as myself would argue that similar fonts do have different and appreciative characteristics.

All that said, typography is dead art :(
Typographers are the trekkies of the design world... :p