Quantcast

now you can ask ford for your money back... Jeremy Clarkson and his GT40 experience

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BillT said:
Its a sad story but much of Jeremy's problem was with some fancy after-market security system that kept on malfunctioning and thinking the car was being stolen and thus immobilizing the car.
Much = all.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
As odd as it sounds, this car is a bargain at $142k. Which is why they fetch over $200k on ebay. I doubt that one person's alarm trouble will affect that in any way.

I was lucky enough to get to ride in one of these rigs recently. To say it's fast is a HUGE understatement.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
BillT said:
Its a sad story but much of Jeremy's problem was with some fancy after-market security system that kept on malfunctioning and thinking the car was being stolen and thus immobilizing the car.
Where did you see that? I didn't see any thing in the article that mentioned an aftermarket alarm. :confused:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Salami said:
Where did you see that? I didn't see any thing in the article that mentioned an aftermarket alarm. :confused:
Page 2 --

There’s a very good reason for this. I genuinely believe that some machines have a soul and I can’t bear to think of my Ford sitting in a warehouse now, unloved and unwanted. It is fine. It is perfect. It knows it’s a great, great car that was ruined by a useless ape who fitted a crummy aftermarket alarm system.

BillT

Monkey
Jeremy didn't have any mechanical issues (he did get a CEL, but didn't expand on what it was for) or gripe about lack of power or grip, but it was a stupid aftermarket alarm that kept on malfunctioning that pretty much rendered the car useless that he had problems with. Given the general incompetence of the importer charged with maintaining/servicing the GT's in the Britain, if he did have any kind of problems, it would be anyone's guess on how well they would solve them.

Arm On Fire

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Exeter, NH & Acton, MA
....and their sarcasm.

My 2 favorite lines:

1)I didn’t even mind when it arrived at my house one month ago inside a truck which had “On Time” written down the side. As we know from America’s arrival into the second world war, their concept of “on time” differs slightly from ours.

2)One thing: I know I could sell the car privately and make a £50,000 profit. But I have never profited from my position as a motoring journalist. And I never will.

Kind of a sad story, I feel really bad for that guy. [/sarcasm]

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
I'm sorry his dream didn't work out for him. It worked out for my best friends dad back in the day with the GT40. Here's a pic of him sitting on the rear fender going into the winners circle in 1969. My friend still has all the hand written set up notes his dad did for those cars.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
spookydave said:
I'm sorry his dream didn't work out for him. It worked out for my best friends dad back in the day with the GT40. Here's a pic of him sitting on the rear fender going into the winners circle in 1969. My friend still has all the hand written set up notes his dad did for those cars.

screw the notes, does he have the car.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
BillT said:
Jeremy didn't have any mechanical issues (he did get a CEL, but didn't expand on what it was for)................. but it was a stupid aftermarket alarm that kept on malfunctioning that pretty much rendered the car useless that he had problems with.
Probably something the alarm tapped into throwing the light on. :nope: :devil: :evil:

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
DRB said:
screw the notes, does he have the car.
It was never his car. He and a few others were the paid brain trust to make sure it won. And win it did. Both 24 hour races. They say that was one of the most expensive racing programs that Ford didn't sponser. Hummmm, someone was payin those guys ..................wonder who it was, my guess would be Ford. lol

BillT

Monkey
I can certainly empathize with Jeremy for finally being able to purchase his dream to only have it turn into a nightmare...I'm curious to see what he'll replace his departed GT with....he seemed to really like the Koenigsegg and the Pagani, but my guess is that he'll go with something that has some kind of racing pedigree.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BillT said:
Jeremy didn't have any mechanical issues (he did get a CEL, but didn't expand on what it was for) or gripe about lack of power or grip, but it was a stupid aftermarket alarm that kept on malfunctioning that pretty much rendered the car useless that he had problems with. Given the general incompetence of the importer charged with maintaining/servicing the GT's in the Britain, if he did have any kind of problems, it would be anyone's guess on how well they would solve them.

for a car of that price... every little detail HAVE to be perfect.

imagine the quality of that shop if they could even fix that.. or how incompetent they have to be, not to suggest have it replaced by another alarm....

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
At least he didn't blow the motor the first day or something catostrophic like that.... it was a minor annoyance that shouldn't have happened.

M

MSpike

BillT said:
I can certainly empathize with Jeremy for finally being able to purchase his dream to only have it turn into a nightmare...I'm curious to see what he'll replace his departed GT with....he seemed to really like the Koenigsegg and the Pagani, but my guess is that he'll go with something that has some kind of racing pedigree.
I can empathize with him too because I recently had a similar experience with a bike I bought. This was a top-of-the-line bike and should have been problem-free from the start but I had to keep bringing the bike in for a bunch of different (mostly minor) issues. Apparently the people at the shop were too incompetent to be able to build the bike correctly and/or check it out before they sent it out the door. I also had repeated problems with really bad disk brake rub and the shop just ignored it. They kept giving me the bike back and telling me there wasn't any problem with it so I finally threw in the towel and called the manufacturer. I spoke with the CS rep twice and he said he would get back to me but he never did. That was the last straw. I decided to sell the bike but wouldn't do so until the brake issue was fixed and I sure didn't think I should have to shell out $$ to get it fixed properly. The manufacturer eventually agreed to let me take it to their other dealer in my area and the mechanics there were excellent. They fixed the brakes and took care of a bunch of other little things so the problems with the bike have now been sorted out but I just don't want it anymore. Getting jerked around by the bike shop AND the customer service rep for the manufacturer has put me off the bike (and the brand) completely. Feeling like you got ripped off can tend to do that to a person.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
spookydave said:
"As we know from America’s arrival into the second world war, their concept of “on time” differs slightly from ours. "

yeah, f you too! lol

Yeah that's classic. Wonder what his Pinkbike handle is?

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
Ford-haters :lol: You sound just as whiny and stupid as Mr. Clarkson who wrote the entire article in an effort to cry and vent, only to try to slide the fact that some loser he probably hired, screwed the pooch in the first place.

Is the car perfect? No, none is. But it is definitely the sickest American supercar I can remember. And for the money, there is nothing that comes close...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
holy ****...i just drooled over a GT40 at Home Depot. i had never seen one in person before. **** that car is hot. this older guy and i were standing there admiring it while his wife, and my girlfriend were amusing themselves with "really now...what's so great about it?"

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
BillT said:
I'm surprised he hasn't already replaced it with a DB9. He loves that car.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
This is like buying a 2005 SC V10 and complaining that your experience w/ the bike sucked because the Kryptonite lock you bought for it was bad.

Idiot.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
spookydave said:
"As we know from America’s arrival into the second world war, their concept of “on time” differs slightly from ours. "

yeah, f you too! lol
Too close to home for comfort??

The US did awesome things for Europe once they got into the war but the 1935-1940 period has a lot of ugly things that definitely do not put the US under the best light...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Mani_UT said:
Too close to home for comfort??

The US did awesome things for Europe once they got into the war but the 1935-1940 period has a lot of ugly things that definitely do not put the US under the best light...
First Clarkson's "funny" little quote:
1)I didn’t even mind when it arrived at my house one month ago inside a truck which had “On Time” written down the side. As we know from America’s arrival into the second world war, their concept of “on time” differs slightly from ours.
is wrong in so many ways that the only way it is too close for comfort is that it happens to be in English.

Hitler and Germany were Europe's problem (problems they should have been able to deal with) before 1940 but their refusal or inability to do anything meaningful about it led to it becoming the US's problem. Especially when it was their vindictiveness that led to conditions that allowed Hitler to come to power in the first place.

That being said I'd love to hear your list of "ugly things" that paint the US in a bad light internationally during that time period.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
H8R said:
This is like buying a 2005 SC V10 and complaining that your experience w/ the bike sucked because the Kryptonite lock you bought for it was bad.

Idiot.
well.. if i paid the whole retail 7k bucks for that... i'd expect everything to be perfect and hassle free... anything else and you can say you got ripped off, even if its for the littlest thing or a crappy CS....

i'd say its more like buying a 30k watch, and having the minute repeater sound like crap....
man, that'd piss me off so much...
and read the other articles from him... he talks about his gt40 and the wait for many articles before the cars gets to him....

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
ALEXIS_DH said:
well.. if i paid the whole retail 7k bucks for that... i'd expect everything to be perfect and hassle free... anything else and you can say you got ripped off, even if its for the littlest thing or a crappy CS....

i'd say its more like buying a 30k watch, and having the minute repeater sound like crap....
man, that'd piss me off so much...
and read the other articles from him... he talks about his gt40 and the wait for many articles before the cars gets to him....
You're missing the point.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
"There’s a very good reason for this. I genuinely believe that some machines have a soul and I can’t bear to think of my Ford sitting in a warehouse now, unloved and unwanted. It is fine. It is perfect. It knows it’s a great, great car that was ruined by a useless ape who fitted a crummy aftermarket alarm system."

And..

"Verdict So good you can have mine
Rating Five stars"

He loved the car, hated the aftermarket alarm.

Let me break it down even more:

You - skull - thick.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
H8R said:
"There’s a very good reason for this. I genuinely believe that some machines have a soul and I can’t bear to think of my Ford sitting in a warehouse now, unloved and unwanted. It is fine. It is perfect. It knows it’s a great, great car that was ruined by a useless ape who fitted a crummy aftermarket alarm system."

And..

"Verdict So good you can have mine
Rating Five stars"

He loved the car, hated the aftermarket alarm.

Let me break it down even more:

You - skull - thick.
lol... of course he loved the car.

but the "aftermarket alarm" IS part of the price. its something included in the premium he paid....
just because its "aftermarket" (but dealer installed and warrantied), doesnt mean he is not getting ripped off...

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
Geez, it's like speaking to the wall. How can you generalize about Ford based on soemthing For DID NOT DO? I suppose that Ford is indirectly responsible for everything its dealers do, but it's still a a (stupid) stretch to say the manufacturer sucks for anything a dealer might do, with or without the knowledge or endorsement of that manufacturer. The guy's a twat, and he belongs in a something softer.

Haters... :rolleyes: