Quantcast

NTFS boot disk utilities?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wifes machine is getting the random blue screen followed by the memory dump. I want to run a scan of the drive and of the memory without loading the OS from a boot cd if possible.

Is there a boot cd with utilities for NTFS out there somewhere? I researched some of the errors I have seen and it points to errors in virtual memory, so either RAM, or drive space being bad. The memory issue is either controller or memory, but I swapped memory and it still happens. Leads me to think controller or drive.

I have done this in the past with Knoppix, but because her box is NTFS, Knoppix can't write to it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I tired that, and every time I try to boot, it gets to 20% then says "failed to boot from CD..."

I have burned 2 copies using different ISO tools with the same result. Have you had any luck with it?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No, haven't tried it. Sorry, just was passing on a link I had bookmarked once upon a time. There's a ton of links if you search for NTFS boot disk in Google, though.

stanky_dlx

Chimp
Dec 16, 2003
Hotlanta
We use 2 at work.

ERD Commander & Bart's PE Disk.

ERD works well but cost $. Bart's is free but you'll spend a lot of time configuring it to do what you want it to.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I tried a 3rd copy of Ultimate Boot CD last night with the same result. It gets about 1/3 of the way then says "Can't boot from CD".

I was able to run fsck if I loaded X Windows. Not sure why, but rather than running in single user mode without loading X, it would hang about an hour into it. Last night I let Knoppix boot fully, opened a terminal, ran fsck, found a bunch of issues, and am now running it a second time (it re-runs if there are errors fixed).

If all else fails, I will buy a cheap drive off ebay to toss in it then sell the POS on ebay. I'm getting the wife a MacBook Pro anyway, I guess just sooner than later.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sorry, I forgot to mention it's a laptop. Otherwise it would have been much easier to begin with.

It looks like fsck worked the first time, depending on how it goes the secind time, I should be able to reinstall Windows on it, then I'll sell it. It's only a P3 650MHz, but it works for her.