Quantcast

NTSB report on the Dive Boat Conception fatal Fire

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
That whole story is just awful, and sorry to hear that you knew people onboard. In addition to the lack of a nigh watchman, the description of the means of egress from the area where they were sleeping sounds like it was pretty inadequate, even if legal.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
That whole story is just awful, and sorry to hear that you knew people onboard. In addition to the lack of a nigh watchman, the description of the means of egress from the area where they were sleeping sounds like it was pretty inadequate, even if legal.
I spent at least 100 nights on board that boat . To give you an idea about how you get out of the bunk area. The galley and lounge are right above it. The stairwell comes out of the bunk area into the lounge area . Picture a bed cap on a pickup. the stairway would be be by the cab of the truck. The escape hatch comes up at the tailgate but it is still under the galley/ lounge roof area. If that lounge and galley are fully ablaze you are screwed. which is what happened

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I spent at least 100 nights on board that boat . To give you an idea about how you get out of the bunk area. The galley and lounge are right above it. The stairwell comes out of the bunk area into the lounge area . Picture a bed cap on a pickup. the stairway would be be by the cab of the truck. The escape hatch comes up at the tailgate but it is still under the galley/ lounge roof area. If that lounge and galley are fully ablaze you are screwed. which is what happened
Based on my knowledge of boats (we had a few) that seems like a very common layout.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I lived on a boat for a year and a half. My bed sat directly above 1000 gallons of gasoline. I can assure you I was a hell of a lot more afraid of fire than I was sinking.

There were a hundred different ways for gas vapor to build up in the bilge and engine bay with a hundred different ignition sources. I tend no to worry about things but I checked the engine bay for leaks daily and would throw unnecessary circuit breakers when I left or went to bed.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I lived on a boat for a year and a half. My bed sat directly above 1000 gallons of gasoline. I can assure you I was a hell of a lot more afraid of fire than I was sinking.

There were a hundred different ways for gas vapor to build up in the bilge and engine bay with a hundred different ignition sources. I tend no to worry about things but I checked the engine bay for leaks daily and would throw unnecessary circuit breakers when I left or went to bed.
CO buildup was a huge issue, evidently we had a close call one time on the boat, Dad told me about it recently, but I guess I was oblivious at the time.