Quantcast

Nutrition and the Tour

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The articles by Allen Lim and Chris Carmichael on Bicycling have been interesting in regards to fitness and power. http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/experts/0,3487,,00.html

However I caught this and due to my sense of humor (that of a 12 year old) to laugh....

They also get most of their calories in during the bike in liquid form, which is easier to absorb. In fact, by the end of the day, almost 70% of all the carbohydrates they take in will be in simple sugars and liquids. If they tried to eat all those calories in solid form two things would happen. The first is that their stomachs just wouldn't be able to handle all that mass and wouldn't digest it all or they'd lose their appetites and lose weight. The second is that if they did get it all in, they'd produce so much fecal matter they probably wouldn't be able to ride the bike the next day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Because there isn't much blood going to the gut during hard exercise, the riders will try to eat whenever there's a lull in the race to help digestion.
I am fighting this constantly. I pretty much have to stop riding to digest food or even absorb fluids.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Westy said:
I am fighting this constantly. I pretty much have to stop riding to digest food or even absorb fluids.
I'm right there with you. I experimented a lot last year on it and I seem to have worked out something. I have stuck with all of 2005 and it hasn't caused me any issues yet. I think the biggest key I've learned is to be consistent with flavors, amounts and timing.

Pre ride its an egg, english muffin, cheese and a diet coke about 2 hours before.

Ride Hydration I stick to water with elete mixed in a little stronger than the recommended. I think the saltiness makes me drink smaller amounts more frequently. It seems to clear my stomach quicker and I don't get that sloshy feeling. As for food, solids are pretty much a no go for me. I use rasberry hammer gel. Its a little sweet but with the elete water it doesn't seem to bother me as much. The one long road ride I skipped the elete I suffered stomach and leg cramps. So that won't be happening again.

Recovery I use endurox.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I pretty much do the same thing hammer gel, diluted sustained energy with endurolyte tablets. I still have problems when it is really hot and I need to absorb large amounts of fluids.

Try mixing chocolate and raspberry hammer gel, tasty.