Quantcast

nVidia 6800 GS heat and flicker issues

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've gotten a free BFG GeForce 6800 GS that the prior owner had heat issues with. During any heavy graphics use, it would start to artifact and crash out. I've currently bandaided the problem with Rivatuner by cranking fan speed to the moon, and tomorrow I'm going to get some thermal grease and reattach the sink/fan to see if that fixes the issue.

Anyway, one issue I'm running into at current is a flickering screen. It only happens when I'm in the XP (SP3) GUI, not any fullscreen games or whatnot. The screen goes black for a second or two, and returns to normal. I seem to remember this happening with a 6600 GT I had long ago...can anyone offer up a suggestion or explanation? Under no load, the GPU runs pretty hot, around 60c. I don't know when it shuts itself off, but I think it's at the 70c mark. Would this be a pretty valid explanation?

Drivers are up to date, heat management within the case is quite good. Are aftermarket GPU coolers offered? I get the feeling the cooler may just have been improperly installed during assembly, and some grease will probably help it out a ton.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Your GPU won't shut itself off until it hits somewhere around 90+ degrees C. 60c is a pretty middling temperature. It's a bit high for idle but it's not completely out of the ballpark.

Lots of aftermarket coolers available at NewEgg. Which one to buy depends entirely on your budget.

You have the most recent drivers, I assume? Have you tried changing your resolution and/or refresh rate to see if it only happens at certain resolutions/refresh rates?