Quantcast

NW Season Opener

Did the fist race of season. The race was the Valentines Challenge in the Tahuya Foest, Belfair, Washington. The trails are very techy, with tons of roots and and endless roller coatser of short hills. Here is my report on the single speed race.

Race Report:
The trails conditions in Tahuyha could not have been better!!! Just damp enough to make it tacky and fast!!! The race went well. I raced in the single speed class, there were 7 of us. Small group, but several of them looked pretty fit, and....ahhhhh, young :-).....I was a little concerned. My strategy was to go out slow until I warmed up a bit, then pace the first lap (of 2) then do what I had to the second (last) lap. Laps were 6 miles, lap times were around 40 minutes. Right off the start I was last into the single track, settled in and set my pace. Picked off a few guys and worked my way to 4th before I took a header through a gnarly root section....no biggie, got back on with out losing any positions. I had worked my way into 2nd place near the end of lap 1, when 3rd place reels me in!! I start lap 2 in 2nd, with 3rd following close behind (no pressure!!!), and 1st nowhere in sight :-(. By halfway through lap 2, I had dropped 3rd and had settled in for a 2nd place finish. Then, as I close in on another rider, I notice he's on a single speed!!!! I had caught the leader!!! Rode with him for about 5 minutes before I passed and went on for the win!!!

I'll post pics later...

PsychO! Mike