Quantcast

NWD 9 trailer...

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Awesome. It's going to be hard to top NWD 8, but by the looks of that they can get it done.
I just think it's interesting and pretty cool that there seems to be a small trend back towards shooting riders, even riders that define themselves as "freeriders," simply riding fast in the mountains or on trails...bar far my favorite stuff to watch.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The Freeride guys were at every world cup this year, and worked extensively with the atherton's all year. This is going to be a good one. Freeride on the race scene can do nothing but good things.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Any word on when its going to come out? I am looking for a new Good Video to Premier at our Race Party at the end of Sept. Any suggestions? I am sure this will not be out til next year.....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I still remember nwd before it had any numbers behind it. Have they cut out the corny 3d graphic sketches between sections?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Wow, even with the addition of heavy race content, the trailer still sucks as much as the finished product will. "Progression" Gimme a freaking break.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
He just likes to complain about tight pant wearing, latte drinking people who don't ride single speed, steel framed, cyclo cross bikes.
I like to complain about Freeride Entertainment not ever having an original idea, and then calling it "progression", and the use of the world "progression" at all in reference to an activity as old, established, and well worn as riding bicycles.

Let's not kid ourselves for a second and think that freeriding, as conceptualized by these knobs up in Canada is any less silly, contrived or stupid now than it was 9 editions of this thing earlier. It's still stupid. It's still just about image and packaging, and intangible "soul" and other lame-ass stuff like that.

Fraser, you know you'd be hating on it too if Nissan wasn't involved this year...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I'd like to complain about people whining about the lack of credibility the word "progression" has when related to bicycles, when in fact the riding is progressing, and the fact that they can't get past somebody using that term makes thier arguement much easier to dismiss.

If you don't like the word, ignore it. Deal with it. Its a popular term. I can't stand "stoked" but I don't go on the internets and blubber on sounding like a crabby old man. :)

" Progression? Thats not progression! In my day, we'd ride with only NEGATIVE suspension! I have -3 inches of suspension on the front! It actually made all the bumps bigger, and occasionally the fork would smash me in the face for no reason. Sometimes while standing still. and you know what? WE LOVED IT! Thats how mountain biking should be!

Stupid kids don't know nuthin. "

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I like to complain about Freeride Entertainment not ever having an original idea, and then calling it "progression", and the use of the world "progression" at all in reference to an activity as old, established, and well worn as riding bicycles.

Let's not kid ourselves for a second and think that freeriding, as conceptualized by these knobs up in Canada is any less silly, contrived or stupid now than it was 9 editions of this thing earlier. It's still stupid. It's still just about image and packaging, and intangible "soul" and other lame-ass stuff like that.

I've got a bottle of sleeping pills you could borrow. Stop the pain man. No one should have to suffer like this.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'd like to complain about people whining about the lack of credibility the word "progression" has when related to bicycles, when in fact the riding is progressing, and the fact that they can't get past somebody using that term makes thier arguement much easier to dismiss.

If you don't like the word, ignore it. Deal with it. Its a popular term. I can't stand "stoked" but I don't go on the internets and blubber on sounding like a crabby old man. :)

" Progression? Thats not progression! In my day, we'd ride with only NEGATIVE suspension! I have -3 inches of suspension on the front! It actually made all the bumps bigger, and occasionally the fork would smash me in the face for no reason. Sometimes while standing still. and you know what? WE LOVED IT! Thats how mountain biking should be!

Stupid kids don't know nuthin. "
no no, he's right, going from being pumped about a backflip to pumped about a double backflip or a backflip across a 30 foot gap is not progress, its regress.

but in all seriousness, any type of cycling that doesn't involve stuff that I ride (such as 60 foot gap step downs) is stoopid. Everybody should ride what I ride, and like it too

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
That slow-mo of Sam's drift is epic :D

I loved NWD 1 2 & 3, don't think I've bought one since.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Giving a damn about tricks on a mountainbike is regression. Especially 5-6 year old bmx tricks that an army of 14 year olds across the world do, without film cameras and helicopters to document it.

Tricks are for kids.
****ty music, fake breasts and macho chest thumping are also for kids(or those with the mental capacity thereof).
And the kids aren't alright. NWD10 should just be 45 minutes of tips on how to wear a flat brim hat set to a super progressive nu-metal soundtrack. It can have some nauseating closeups of people nearly putting their hats on at the correct angle, but then cutting away before it blows up into a cloud of dandruff and papercuts.

You know what would be truly "progressive"? Reality, perspective and taste.

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
NWD10 should just be 45 minutes of tips on how to wear a flat brim hat set to a super progressive nu-metal soundtrack.
nu-metal?
i personally wouldnt call:
R.A. the Rugged Man
Shiny Toy Gun
TV on the Radio
The Datsuns
Jakalope
Zion I and the Grouch
The Ramones
The Donnas
Mims and Purple Popcorn

nu-metal at all from the NWD8 soundtrack

i guess you can call Disturbed 'nu-metal' from the NWD9 teaser/trailer

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Giving a damn about tricks on a mountainbike is regression. Especially 5-6 year old bmx tricks that an army of 14 year olds across the world do, without film cameras and helicopters to document it.

Tricks are for kids.
****ty music, fake breasts and macho chest thumping are also for kids(or those with the mental capacity thereof).
And the kids aren't alright. NWD10 should just be 45 minutes of tips on how to wear a flat brim hat set to a super progressive nu-metal soundtrack. It can have some nauseating closeups of people nearly putting their hats on at the correct angle, but then cutting away before it blows up into a cloud of dandruff and papercuts.

You know what would be truly "progressive"? Reality, perspective and taste.
"reality?" What do you think of clay porter's 2001 space oddessy narration?

So flat brim hats are bad, but TLD teletubbies stressing over the height of their visor on their fullfaces is okay because it's 'racing'? Guess what....kids of ALL persuasion are fashion queens, especially where there's a sponsor involved. The fact that you let that take away from some very legit cinematography of some incredibly good riders is kind of sad. I think racerboi fashion is silly but I friggin stand up and cheer when I see steve smith smack the shlt out of a turn at mach stoopit or sam hill pin it down the rowdiest section of a course faster than everyone else. I may be projecting but that's what I get from your posts.

All I gotta say is that it must suck to watch wayne goss 180 up on a rock and barspin a half cab off on some random trail in the woods and not think it's cool. Like you, I'll never have the skill to do that but at least I can appreciate it.

The music on some of the sections in the last vid could certainly fall into your 'taste' complaint though. :D

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
nu-metal?
i personally wouldnt call:
R.A. the Rugged Man
Shiny Toy Gun
TV on the Radio
The Datsuns
Jakalope
Zion I and the Grouch
The Ramones
The Donnas
Mims and Purple Popcorn

nu-metal at all from the NWD8 soundtrack

i guess you can call Disturbed 'nu-metal' from the NWD9 teaser/trailer

Oh excuse me, commercial crap punk, reggae, nu-newave and some other crap I've never heard of. Derivative pop music, derivative bike riding, overproduction and reams of consumerist hype? How many A+R dudes got smoothies? A perfect mirror of packaged, produced reality, and a great way to sell crap no one wants to people who don't need it.

Movies like this are part of the "lifestyle marketing" thing. It's not my lifestyle, so I guess I should chill out eh?

(now, where'd I put my roofies...)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh excuse me, commercial crap punk, reggae, nu-newave and some other crap I've never heard of. Derivative pop music, derivative bike riding, overproduction and reams of consumerist hype? How many A+R dudes got smoothies? A perfect mirror of packaged, produced reality, and a great way to sell crap no one wants to people who don't need it.

Movies like this are part of the "lifestyle marketing" thing. It's not my lifestyle, so I guess I should chill out eh?
You're definitely right. But as an adult just take it for what it is. Have a beer, turn off the music and enjoy some good riding and good camera work.:cheers:

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence

(now, where'd I put my roofies...)
Damn Mickey. It's the MTB industry, thought you'd be used to it by now.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Yes, let's all lay down and "get used to it". Screw that. Let's get pissed. At least we die a little less inside. Yes, it's true, slow-motion bike riding makes me die a little inside. Less than cancer, but hey, actually, cancer is progressive, isn't it? All those cells just replicating out of control! Last year it was just a single cancerous cell, this year it is more than 3 million!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Yes, let's all lay down and "get used to it". Screw that. Let's get pissed. At least we die a little less inside. Yes, it's true, slow-motion bike riding makes me die a little inside. Less than cancer, but hey, actually, cancer is progressive, isn't it? All those cells just replicating out of control! Last year it was just a single cancerous cell, this year it is more than 3 million!
you take bitter and angry to a whole new level......bravo

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
You just compared slow motion bike footage to, ummm, cancer....wow....

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
My reply would take me 10 minutes to write, would soundly point out that you're a retro-ass sounding like an old man, that you're being an elitest idiot and that you really need to think before you talk.

However, that would be 10 minutes of typing to somebody who appears to be the equivalent of a mule, and I just can't be bothered.

:D