Quantcast

NY comes to PNW

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i met Nate online on the local board on MTBR. He was looking for a guide for a Skookum Flats ride. He's on vacation from Ithaca and it was great opportunity to show off some great PNW trails.

Went for a short spin of Skookum Flats trail. Just 2 miles of the upper section for a warm up and a taste of what is ahead. It's pretty technical and there are many high exposure sections of trail so after quickly finding out that he was totally fine with all that it was a 4 mile road/forest road spin up to the White River Trailhead where the real ride would begin.

Sharing stories about Ithaca it appears that many of the state forests there are pretty rooty. We have some of that stuff too, but bigger tree's make for bigger roots sometimes.

After rolling thru a mile and a half of a really fun section of trail we arrive at the bottom of Ranger Creek Trail. i had asked him well before we went out on the ride if he was a good climber. Well i've been to the East Coast and i know our mountains are a tad bigger than what's out on the other side of the states. So a nice easy spin is in order to get the 2600 feet ascent in a little less than 5 miles, otherwise you may be leaving your lungs on the side of the trail.:)

Anyways we arrived at the apex. A log shelter at the top turned out to be an excellent shelter. Not long after eating some snacks and talking with a good friend who coincedentally was riding thru the area we took some quick refuge from a hail storm/shower that passed thru. Such is the nature of the weather in the high country. Of course i know this and didn't bring my rain jacket haha.... Luckily for us it passed after a few minutes.

So onward we trek, the trail not much worse for wear since the shower was short and the trees are always thirsty. Palisaides Trail is Six and half miles of mostly descending trail that meanders along cliffsides and thru many forests of varying age and thickness.

Shooting out along one of the many cliffside sections the parking lot where we started the ride is near the river and air field down below.

Epicness

It was great ride and Nate was stoked. It was cool for me to rediscover the coolness of a trail that i've done a few times before thru the eyes of someone who's never ridden the area.

Of course after-ride burgers and brew were on the docket. Good times.:)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah you have one of the most beautiful ride spots i have ever seen, i love the north east for riding, but the one place i would rather live is in your area...props man.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Acadian said:
T,

I need to ride with you - gimme a date and I'll get my a$$ up there! that looks like such a killer ride! two :thumb:
Welp pick a weekend on the end of July. i'm leading a bunch of rides for the 4th o July weekend for the local bikey club. But by the end of July many awesome trails will be ready to go.
Bring 12 grain....

And MMcG and SS it would be my pleasure to help you out if ever you find yourselves out here.:)

J

JRB

Awesome stuff, Skooks. Your rides are the only ones that really make me jealous.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Thank you for reminding me how spoiled rotten we are up here. :love: Haven't ridden that one, but it's certainly on the list now!

That cliff shot is hot diggity damn.

Edit: Holy Shazaamaadaama .. you snuck some video in there. That whiteriver clip is awesome. Not often, in fact ... never, do I get to ride with the sound of serious water. We have cool stuff in Oregon, but I concede to Washington as the best of what I love about Mountain Biking [in the lower 48].

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Skooks - where in WA is that? I could maybe swing the 4th weekend in July depending on how far the drive is up there. Also, if you guys are hitting McKenzie next weekend, I might hook up with y'all for that too!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Heidi said:
Skooks - where in WA is that? I could maybe swing the 4th weekend in July depending on how far the drive is up there. Also, if you guys are hitting McKenzie next weekend, I might hook up with y'all for that too!
These trails are near Greenwater. Highway 410 just a little ways from Mt. Rainier. That's the only thing i was a little upset about because seeing the mountain so close is super nice. The clouds were obscuring the mountain i was hoping Nate could get the awesome view, but he was more than stoked with the view that was there. The glare off the glaciers can be blinding this time of year.
Since you'd be coming up from Bend i'd say go thru Yakima into Naches and catch 410 on that side of the mountains. The drive over Chinook Pass is super super nice as well. On a clear day you can stop and take a quick alpine hike...

Anyways i gotta pm Aaron it appears as if plans have changed for me on McKenzie. i have this side job from hell, stupid delays and reschedules for a dumpster of all things....

Sucks because i really wanted to do that ride...:mad:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum said:
Anyways i gotta pm Aaron it appears as if plans have changed for me on McKenzie. i have this side job from hell, stupid delays and reschedules for a dumpster of all things....

Sucks because i really wanted to do that ride...:mad:
Yah! I can't ride it that weekend either:) We need to get together Skooks and get a weekend penceiled in for that ride.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Heidi said:
Ooof, so no McKenzie for you? Crap. Well, I'll ride it this weekend for you, how's that? :)
DOH! haha well i can't say i'm not just a little envious, especially considering i'll be roofing instead of riding...

So if you make it out this way at the end of July give me a heads up. It'd be great to hook up for another Palisaides ride. The upper section (Corral Pass/Dalles Ridge) is still snowed in but it should be ready to go by then.:)

Snacks said:
Yah! I can't ride it that weekend either:) We need to get together Skooks and get a weekend penceiled in for that ride.
Sounds good to me, i've had to cancel my visit with my freind in Portland too many times. The next one has gotta be set in stone.:)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Great stuff Skooks!

love the pics and video!

I drool when I think of the Pacific North West!!! and your write up reinforced my feelings again tonight!:drool: