Quantcast

NZ itinerary sanity check

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Ok, monkies-

I'd greatly appreciate it if those of you who have been to NZ (or who live there, better yet) could look over this penciled in 23-day itinerary for me and suggest what should be added, lengthened, shortened, or cut out entirely. TIA.

(Day) 1: Fly into Auckland. Adjust. Pick up rental car.
2: Full day in Auckland proper.
3: Day on Waiheke Island. Drive to Waitomo Caves vicinity in evening, stay there.
4: Waitomo Caves, black water rafting tour. Head out through Rotorua, see Kiwis, stay in Taupo.
5: Wairakei Park, Huka Falls, drive on southwards to Wellington.
6: All day in Wellington, 6:25 PM ferry to Picton, drive a short way further to Blenheim, stay there.
7: Wines and such. Short hikes in area. Travel to Abel Tasman region, stay there.
8: Abel Tasman. Maybe a day trip/kayak/hike deal.
9: Abel Tasman. More hiking?
10: Drive from Abel Tasman to Kaikoura. Hang out with dolphins.
11: Half-day Kaikoura hike, drive to Christchurch.
12: All day in Christchurch.
13: Ballooning in Metheven on way to the west coast, glacier country.
14: Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers, half day on each.
15: A few more hours around glaciers, drive to Queenstown.
16: Drive to Fiordland National Park or thereabouts. Noon departure for overnight Milford (or Doubtful) cruise.
17: Cruise ends at noon. Explore more on foot (?) in afternoon.
18: Full day kayaking at Doubtful (or Milford).
19: Extra day hiking (?) in Fiordlands.
20: Drive to Queenstown. Spend remainder of day in town.
21: Return rental car, fly Queenstown->Auckland.
22: Fly from Auckland back to reality.

There's an extra day we haven't used, but like I said I'm not sure if this even makes sense. All comments and suggestions appreciated.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
In rotovegas you can have a touristy hangi feast. There is a geothermal park in town and also Waimangu Volcanic Valley down the road is decent and less touristy. The free national museum in Wellington is good and you could check out the red rock beach there. Also decent in Wellington is Zealandia (lots of birds including Kaka parrots - http://www.visitzealandia.com/site/zealandia_home/ . Sirocco the Kakapo (flightless, kinda looks like an owl mixed with a parrot - heaviest and one of the rarest parrots in the world) is currently touring NZ, if you know when you are going book tickets if interested to see him. Also try to see Keas on the Southern Alps.

I would try to get some whitewater rafting or sledging in and also maybe some canyoning.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Ok, monkies-

I'd greatly appreciate it if those of you who have been to NZ (or who live there, better yet) could look over this penciled in 23-day itinerary for me and suggest what should be added, lengthened, shortened, or cut out entirely. TIA.

(Day) 1: Fly into Auckland. Adjust. Pick up rental car.
2: Full day in Auckland proper.
3: Day on Waiheke Island. Drive to Waitomo Caves vicinity in evening, stay there.
4: Waitomo Caves, black water rafting tour. Head out through Rotorua, see Kiwis, stay in Taupo.
5: Wairakei Park, Huka Falls, drive on southwards to Wellington.
6: All day in Wellington, 6:25 PM ferry to Picton, drive a short way further to Blenheim, stay there.
7: Wines and such. Short hikes in area. Travel to Abel Tasman region, stay there.
8: Abel Tasman. Maybe a day trip/kayak/hike deal.
9: Abel Tasman. More hiking?
10: Drive from Abel Tasman to Kaikoura. Hang out with dolphins.
11: Half-day Kaikoura hike, drive to Christchurch.
12: All day in Christchurch.
13: Ballooning in Metheven on way to the west coast, glacier country.
14: Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers, half day on each.
15: A few more hours around glaciers, drive to Queenstown.
16: Drive to Fiordland National Park or thereabouts. Noon departure for overnight Milford (or Doubtful) cruise.
17: Cruise ends at noon. Explore more on foot (?) in afternoon.
18: Full day kayaking at Doubtful (or Milford).
19: Extra day hiking (?) in Fiordlands.
20: Drive to Queenstown. Spend remainder of day in town.
21: Return rental car, fly Queenstown->Auckland.
22: Fly from Auckland back to reality.

There's an extra day we haven't used, but like I said I'm not sure if this even makes sense. All comments and suggestions appreciated.
Take out 1-6 inclusive, with the exception of Rotorua if you want to ride there. Arrive Auckland and transit straight to Rotorua (and then fly to ChCh, or better yet fly straight to ChCh from the US if possible). Spend as much time in Sth Island as possible.

Don't spend a day in ChCh. It's had a massive earthquake and is fairly disrupted...

NZ isn't that big compared to anywhere in the US, but the roads are MUCH slower. Speed limit is 100km/h but don't think that'll be your average speed...

Happy to talk on skype - might be easier. PM me.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you do do Waitomo Caves, don't do the rafting, do the real caving tour and go spelunking. Not sure if this is the one I did but was real caving. I've been to few non-commercial caves in the US and it was comparable.
http://www.waitomo.co.nz/HaggasHonkingHoles

J4 in State College, PA (closed I think?) was my favorite Northeast cave.

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Fiordland is gonna blow your socks off - spend as much time as possible there and in Te Anau and Queenstown. Trust me, you'll want to spend more than an afternoon in Queenstown. Wanaka is also really cool (that's where I lived for a winter).

Like Whoops said - there are some cool parts of the North Island but the South Island is definitely where it's at. Spend as much time there as possible (except for Invercargill IMO).

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
But if you do happen to stay in Auckland a bit, find a little mall in Henderson/Massey area, and look for a shop called "Busy Fingers" (keep it clean, it's a sewing shop). I dated a lady there, Gwenyth Powers, and we had a great time until I came back stateside. Or better yet, see if she's in the phone book (Gleneden area), and I'll give you $1 for her number if she's listed.

Thanks in advance...................