Quantcast

(o\_!_/o) Saturdays are for race car testing GMT (o\_!_/o)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Off to scenic Pueblo, CO this morning to run the bug around in the dirt. Apparently we’re also getting filmed by some UK production company for a web-based TV show... I’mma try and not jimmydean it. Might even get some pictures.

Be safe out there, kids.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Woke up early today so I did some PALEOTON and am now sitting at gymnastics. I'll try to do some leaving and maybe get to Target later. Might try and get to Essex to buy a bike later, who knows.

Interview went well, I should probably reach out to my references

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
In an Uber towards Discount Tire. Dude went straight up the wrong direction and doesn’t seem to know much English at all.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Street festival in the Art District today which always means zero traffic to my studio and no point in battling traffic and crowds. So I suppose I must find some sort of outdoor activity to occupy my time until this evening when it’s over. Oh darn.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Took the kid for a trail ride. It’s her second one and she is doing well. Where we went isn’t in the city but outside it, there’s a part you go under the road in a drainage tunnel. It’s covered in graffiti and today had a chick in thigh high boots, mini skirt and corset doing a photo shoot. Kinda suppressed me. No pics cause the kid was with me.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Put the Bridgestone in the Car to ride it. Get to the trails late. Take Bike out of Car. Left Pedal is missing. Just the stub of the axle. Could not get the stub out. Couldn't find the Pedal either. No explanation can be offered. Pretty sure it had a Pedal on it the last time I rode it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Pretty good riding in ole New England. Hero dirt covered with leaves and a eleventy billionty sticks and branches that made all corners extra spicy. Will bang again tomorrow.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Getting the new bike bug. Was looking at more reasonably priced models until I realized California is full of dentists who are willing to sell their 2019 bikes at dental hygienist prices to make room for their new 2020 bikes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
fwiw @vinnycactus has a trek and has fucked it up multiple times already. if i was looking for a 27.5 all-rounder i'd go for a bronson or, for a bit less travel, a shredd doggggg
A shred dog with a 160mm fork is high on the list. Not too sure about the super long geometry. I value agility over stability to a certain point. But a size 2 with the seat slid back to provide the right pedaling position has an almost identical geometry to the Bronson. I also need to limit weight on my hands due to the fucked up thumb.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Drove the Bolt to Winter Park for a distance test today; it's 79 miles, 50 of mountain, away. Orientation for Haley's all-mtn ski devo program was today. We left the house 224 miles of charge and got there with 109, but got back to the house with 130 miles of charge. The re-gen is pretty damn impressive if you don't drive like a hoodlum, especially uphill.

Hannah climbed out of the crib today at nap time with a thud. Wifey caught her again at bed time, so she has the guardrail in place now. She's fully migratory now. Giddy. at least she can't open doors yet.

I got the hitch installed onto the Bolt so that I can put my bike rack onto it. Debating a roof rack and ski rack then trying to drive it to WP. Assuming it's not snowing (I'd take the Forester then) and traffic's not bad, I am pretty sure that I can make it fine. Worst case, there is a charger in the town up from WP and one one the way home , though the Idaho Springs one I could see being busy.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
@stoney I'd definitely try the Bolt for that journey… but beware that your winter results won't be nearly as rosy.

Blame increased rolling resistance on wet roads, perhaps some marginal increased load due to lighting, decreased pack efficiency at cold temperatures (especially after cold soaking all day)… and, the biggest factor, use of the resistive heater. AFAIK only the 2013+ Leaf has a heat pump. Resistive heaters just suck down juice.

Relevant data point: On my nominally 279 mile-range-when-at-90% SOC Tesla I can go to Winter Park in actual winter conditions, ski all day and not charge, and then get home with ~75 miles showing. The problem for you is that there are no DC quick chargers in Idaho Springs as of yet. Level 2 @ 6 kW is perfect for overnight charging at home, but pretty terrible to top off in a pinch on a cold day as here.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Drove the Bolt to Winter Park for a distance test today; it's 79 miles, 50 of mountain, away. Orientation for Haley's all-mtn ski devo program was today. We left the house 224 miles of charge and got there with 109, but got back to the house with 130 miles of charge. The re-gen is pretty damn impressive if you don't drive like a hoodlum, especially uphill.
I was thinking about that yesterday on my road-ride on our "Hillside" area, it's the bit of the city that is several thousand feet up and into the mountains. I saw a Tesla 3 come down from someone's house and I imagined that they probably arrive in the city with the same (or more if it was depleted) range that they leave the house with, since it's several thousand feet of downhill. Plenty of EVs being used here in AK.