Quantcast

<o>Foggy Thursday <o>

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
slept well but struggled to get to sleep and when my alarm went off, I refused to get up...but also couldn't get back to sleep. WFH again today as I deal with the sleepies.

I'm starting to wonder if I will end up getting the new TT bike together or just selling it off. The front brake is virtually unobtanium...I may have found one from the vendor in China, but it's tough going. They're only active from 7pm-7am EST, which means one email a day, and they aren't the best communicators....

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
:wave:

Slept 10 hours.
Got a small amount of crusty snow overnight. Not ski worthy and enough to make fatbiking a no go.
Might slowshoes with the pups.

In other news, kitchen is coming along nicely. Liking the modern Scandinavian look. Today, drawers front plates install.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
:wave:
In proper Sleepmonkey/Weathermonkey fashion. I slept quite well. Woke up at the normal 5 and actually pedaled at home today. That’s a first.

Working on some proposals today. Also need to list a bunch of stuff on PB and FB anyone interested in some XT 12 speed goodies?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm starting to wonder if I will end up getting the new TT bike together or just selling it off. The front brake is virtually unobtanium...I may have found one from the vendor in China, but it's tough going. They're only active from 7pm-7am EST, which means one email a day, and they aren't the best communicators....
what exactly is the deal with the mount? i know TT bikes tend to have a lot of non-standard standards, and even then proprietary stuff is common.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what exactly is the deal with the mount? i know TT bikes tend to have a lot of non-standard standards, and even then proprietary stuff is common.
It's pretty wack. It's a standard canti mount but the spring centering holes are vertical above the post rather than to the side. That could be fixed my modifying the caliper or even the mount with an additional hole, but there's an integrated cover that won't allow anything else to fit. These calipers TRP TTV RC or TTV 09 are discontinued, and nobody has back stock. Ebay is clear of them, all vendors are out, TRP has no back stock, the only hope is through HongFu. If I contact them directly they say they don't have spares, but if I contact them through Aliexpress they say they do. I've found one on ebay but it's in the UK and the guy doesn't necessarily offer overseas shipping. It's ridiculously expensive even if I do, so between the bars and brake I'm looking at ~$300, pushing this into expensive territory rather than ridiculously good deal land. I'm satisfied with my current tri bike, but this one will be way better.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hello peoples

slept ok but late after working my 4-10 pm shift and getting in one last spin after that. and washing the car because dirty from ski day.

anyway, WFH this afternoon only. getting a DEXA scan and RMR test this morning at a local joint.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's pretty wack. It's a standard canti mount but the spring centering holes are vertical above the post rather than to the side. That could be fixed my modifying the caliper or even the mount with an additional hole, but there's an integrated cover that won't allow anything else to fit. These calipers TRP TTV RC or TTV 09 are discontinued, and nobody has back stock. Ebay is clear of them, all vendors are out, TRP has no back stock, the only hope is through HongFu. If I contact them directly they say they don't have spares, but if I contact them through Aliexpress they say they do. I've found one on ebay but it's in the UK and the guy doesn't necessarily offer overseas shipping. It's ridiculously expensive even if I do, so between the bars and brake I'm looking at ~$300, pushing this into expensive territory rather than ridiculously good deal land. I'm satisfied with my current tri bike, but this one will be way better.
that's quite the rabbit hole.

so the spring centering holes are clocked 90° differently?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Another gloomy rainy day here. I don't have PTO on such an ugly day, which is nice. CherNOBL rims should be arriving today and I am considering channeling my inner Sandwich and procure a set of NOS Ti spokes for proper weirdness.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that's quite the rabbit hole.

so the spring centering holes are clocked 90° differently?

Yup. This is what it looks like complete:

arms are 65mm long, pad height is like 25mm from the post, arms a super narrow for aero, but everything is hidden under a snuggy cover meaning I can't fit anything else. I have cantis test fitted and there is no clearance around the material surrounding the bolt. It's these brakes or bust, and these brakes are a challenge to find.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

arms are 65mm long, pad height is like 25mm from the post, arms a super narrow for aero, but everything is hidden under a snuggy cover meaning I can't fit anything else. I have cantis test fitted and there is no clearance around the material surrounding the bolt. It's these brakes or bust, and these brakes are a challenge to find.
that sounds like quite a pickle.

so you can get other brakes to fit on the frame? but that would just prevent the aero cover from fitting correct?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
OK, here's my dumb question for the day. My colleague has asked me for feedback on their direct report, whom I hate. This person and I are oil and water, it doesn't seem to be personal but any time there's a discussion it's her way or the highway. Do I run for the hills? Be honest? Pretend like everything is ok?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that sounds like quite a pickle.

so you can get other brakes to fit on the frame? but that would just prevent the aero cover from fitting correct?
I think so. I haven't dabbled with much yet. I thought I had found a setup before I bought the frame, but it turned out their are like 8 of these setups and it wasn't the right one. I am not the best at being patient, but waiting for one to turn up somewhere is probably the right move...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
OK, here's my dumb question for the day. My colleague has asked me for feedback on their direct report, whom I hate. This person and I are oil and water, it doesn't seem to be personal but any time there's a discussion it's her way or the highway. Do I run for the hills? Be honest? Pretend like everything is ok?
Burn the shit out of her. There's no positive downstream outcome from not killing off toxic people when you have the opportunity to do so.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
be honest, but be professional about it

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think so. I haven't dabbled with much yet. I thought I had found a setup before I bought the frame, but it turned out their are like 8 of these setups and it wasn't the right one. I am not the best at being patient, but waiting for one to turn up somewhere is probably the right move...
my thought would be find a brake that works, then you could make a new aero cover. possibly 3d printed?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

So is it the proper front or rear brake you're missing, or both? I only see a rear on ebay UK if I hunted for the right thing.

Maybe bribe @Gary with some haggis to post the ebay UK one on for you. Or if you're sure it's the right one I can courier it back for you if you can wait a few months until I'm over there :p

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my opinion on tri bikes....trying to go fast never looked so ugly...

the sun is out....

day five of no coke....

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Still greay/drizzly crap outside. Took DSO the younger for her long walk anyway. Putzing around the house and garage is on the agenda.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
eat the spiciest dish you can tolerate....one that will do the maximum intestinal damage...

take a shit....

take a picture...

print a 8x10 glossy...

sign it this is what i think of you and your report...

present it at the next staff meeting.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So is it the proper front or rear brake you're missing, or both? I only see a rear on ebay UK if I hunted for the right thing.

Maybe bribe @Gary with some haggis to post the ebay UK one on for you. Or if you're sure it's the right one I can courier it back for you if you can wait a few months until I'm over there :p
So this is the right one:

The TTV Road/Fourier/Propel setup has an incorrect noodler and pad height. It's hard to tell the difference as they are visually identical unless you have spent the last three days pouring over catalogs and ebay listings.

Pinging @Gary isn't a bad idea. It'll be like $100 all said and ton, which is a tough pill to swallow. Hongfu wants $75 for it, but I'm unsure whether they really have it or not. I'm just feeling out all options right now, including being OK with my old frame and not dealing with it!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
No, but Idaho Falls does (90 miles away).
We bought a new Samsung ‘art’ tv. Delivery was over $100, but free if we bought the Geek Squad services. So they are hanging it, and setting everything up to work with the Sonos system I already have.
Not my decision, and I’m happy to let them do it for basically free while I drink a virtual beer on the porch.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ran the Disney 5K this morning. Up at 2:00 AM for that shit. I started further back than I was seeded so I could run with the wife and we took it easy. They let you move back but they don't let you move up. 'Twas fun. 10K tomorrow, half marathon Saturday, marathon Sunday...known as the Dopey Challenge. I will line up in the front for the rest of those races.

1000000719.jpg