Quantcast

<o>Foggy Thursday <o>

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Bingo. I became very good friends with the A and B shift mechanics and guys in the machine shop. I'd stay super late or be in at 5am on a Saturday to help do routine maintenance shit if it meant helping those guys out, which was definitely not technically in the scope of my position.

Guess who always got immediate maintenance assistance or jumped to the front of the line with the machine shop? This guy, that's who.
translates across all fields. guess who helps out other departments (or at least offers) when things are busy and actively tries not to overburden them? this guy. guess who gets concessions from colleagues and is generally the preferred on in his department to work with? this guy.

in other old person news, woke up yesterday and my middle back was super tight and achy to go along with my still healing shoulder. will still hit the gym/ride tomorrow and this weekend. because fuck off, body!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
translates across all fields. guess who helps out other departments (or at least offers) when things are busy and actively tries not to overburden them? this guy. guess who gets concessions from colleagues and is generally the preferred on in his department to work with? this guy.
Definitely works both ways and across all functional group types, but (at least in my experience) it seems like the bullshit "hierarchy" of higher educated engineers/scientists over more blue collar type operators/mechanics/techs is a somewhat commonplace occurrence.

I'm always the first one to help anyone out, whether you're organizationally/professionally below me, at my level or above me and regardless of your role or function. But I get extra satisfaction out of helping the folks that don't get the respect or credit they deserve, especially if it's a bit of a fuck you to the people that don't give them that respect.

Selfishly, those happen to be the same folks whose efforts and contributions are a huge part of my own success as well.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Definitely works both ways and across all functional group types, but (at least in my experience) it seems like the bullshit "hierarchy" of higher educated engineers/scientists over more blue collar type operators/mechanics/techs is a somewhat commonplace occurrence.

I'm always the first one to help anyone out, whether you're organizationally/professionally below me, at my level or above me and regardless of your role or function. But I get extra satisfaction out of helping the folks that don't get the respect or credit they deserve, especially if it's a bit of a fuck you to the people that don't give them that respect.

Selfishly, those happen to be the same folks whose efforts and contributions are a huge part of my own success as well.
samesies, there are certainly hierarchies in my field as well and i'd be on that "white collar" end of the spectrum (curator) but always happy to pitch in to help (and often like working with better) those on what would be the "blue collar" side in my profession (art handlers and installers, registrars, etc.).