Quantcast

<o>Foggy Thursday <o>

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
"is inflexible and unwilling to consider options or solutions other than their own"
I've already used this one. Quite literally.

There have been a few times in meetings she's asked me a question that feels deliberately asked to try and "call me out" or poke holes in the work I'm doing. I want to capture that as it's kind of infuriating and unnecessary (these are questions your supervisor might asked you if you fucked up) but it seems to be only directed at me, so I don't want to call something out that isn't really there...so I have to choose my words carefully

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
What other vehicles did you compare/consider?
Test drove a Honda CR-V and a Ford Bronco Sport. The CR-V drove kind of like a big car where as the Rav4 felt more like a small truck. The Bronco Sport is probably the most visually appealing of the three but it has that swoopy, under dampened US suspension and you had to remove the headrest to lower the back seat.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How do I phrase "She's a fucking hostile bitch" professionally?
"I fear for my physical safety in her presence. She has threatened me multiple times with the loaded handgun she keeps in her upper right drawer. It's the one with the serial number ground off. I believe she learned these tendencies during the January 6th capitol riot where she entered the senate and of which I definitely have video footage"

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

There have been a few times in meetings she's asked me a question that feels deliberately asked to try and "call me out" or poke holes in the work I'm doing. I want to capture that as it's kind of infuriating and unnecessary (these are questions your supervisor might asked you if you fucked up) but it seems to be only directed at me, so I don't want to call something out that isn't really there...so I have to choose my words carefully
here's a question i should ask just to get an idea..... is there any overlap in your functional areas? basically, is your work any of her business?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
here's a question i should ask just to get an idea..... is there any overlap in your functional areas? basically, is your work any of her business?
kind of but not really. We work on entirely different projects, but our background is similar...like we worked on the same stuff before arriving in our current group. So, I do things my way and she doesn't like that because she did things differently in her old group. She asks me these little questions to check and see if I'm doing things the correct way (or so it feels). Nobody else still works on the same stuff, so I think this is where it's coming from- she thinks she knows how to do the things better than I do. She might, but it doesn't matter because I'm doing them so fuck off!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
kind of but not really. We work on entirely different projects, but our background is similar...like we worked on the same stuff before arriving in our current group. So, I do things my way and she doesn't like that because she did things differently in her old group. She asks me these little questions to check and see if I'm doing things the correct way (or so it feels). Nobody else still works on the same stuff, so I think this is where it's coming from- she thinks she knows how to do the things better than I do. She might, but it doesn't matter because I'm doing them so fuck off!
When I worked in pharmaceuticals I got handed a problem that had been lingering for years with multiple people unable to make any progress. Because of how long the problem had persisted they sent a problem solving expert from corporate to guide me through a formal process. Hour long meeting every day being told how to do my job, it was expected to go on that way for months. I found it annoying and insulting. On about the 4th day I walked into the meeting with a completed draft report on how to solve the problem and a test plan to prove it. Was all wrapped up the following week.

The problem solving expert asked me how I had figured it all out. I had just gone and talked to the operators.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Good news - a friend is coming to take me to the police station to file a report.
Gooder news - I’ve been thinking about a new car this year and insurance says they might pay over KBB Value on my claim, which would kick ass over a trade in value or personal sale.

Less than good - new car insurance rates will double with a new ride. I’m considering a Volvo XC40 or similar, such as a RAV4. The RAV4 isn’t much cheaper for insurance, but it’s a lower sticker and maintenance cost, and at the pump (87 vs 91 I believe, and better city mileage).
What's your parking situation? Would a PHEV work for your setup? Because gas isn't cheap in CA and isn't likely to become cheaper, either.
Geek squad guys left. Took them two hours to hook up a Sonos sound bar. :D
they were waiting for you to tip them. or give them just the tip perhaps

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
When I worked in pharmaceuticals I got handed a problem that had been lingering for years with multiple people unable to make any progress. Because of how long the problem had persisted they sent a problem solving expert from corporate to guide me through a formal process. Hour long meeting every day being told how to do my job, it was expected to go on that way for months. I found it annoying and insulting. On about the 4th day I walked into the meeting with a completed draft report on how to solve the problem and a test plan to prove it. Was all wrapped up the following week.

The problem solving expert asked me how I had figured it all out. I had just gone and talked to the operators.
This has happened more times than I care to think about. All the engineers had a pretty elitist attitude that if you weren't a degreed engineer, you don't know shit. Most of my best fixes/changes were just putting what the mechanics/operators told me they wanted into a feasible and practical solution.

So glad I'm out of (that) production site.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Unless I move, a plug in isn’t an option. It’s tempting since I work from home and don’t rack up the mikes.
Got it. Do you need a SUV/CUV form factor or would a car-like object work for you? Higher h-point of CUVs helpful given mobility constraints?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Lacking in synergy/agility. Doesn't buy-in to holistic approach. Next level disruptor without alignment and core competencies. Questionable engagement and frequently tries to boil the ocean, can get caught up in the weeds. Weak ideation utilizing inside the box thinking.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
as far as the employee hierarchy goes, is she at your level? above you? below you?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Are you just doing Google searches for “negative employee feedback” or what?

Anycrap, here’s a picture of the sunrise over Monarch Pass this morning.

09295B4D-7B30-462A-9923-D2311F4751E1.jpeg

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
as far as the employee hierarchy goes, is she at your level? above you? below you?
She is below me but doesn't report to me. At one point we were going to work together, but she got pulled onto a separate project. I can't help but feel like our boss (both of ours at the time) saw how "well" we worked together. Anyways, I'm somewhat more senior (like 3 levels) which is also why I'm like "why are you calling me out for this or that"

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
phfft ... that looks hideous. how's conditions oot and aboot?
Really good. Solid coverage, the upper levels of the snowpack are right side up, latest snowfall has been colder so it’s skiing light and fluffy with a bit denser/supportive snow underneath. Still got rotten garbage snow (depth hoar) at ground level and a persistent slab layer to deal with, but skiing low angle trees I’m not super worried about any of that nonsense.

EDIT TO ADD: All that said, we’ve had some really touchy times around these parts. We’ve had some big-for-us storms with a lot of wind, and last week at this time things were pretty unstable. Like, entire paths running from the top with a mid-path trigger, things sliding to the ground even below treeline/in the trees, that sort of nonsense. But we have this little zone that offers up 800’ laps of ~28° trees, seems to be pretty wind protected even though it faces west, and that doesn’t suck.

Monarch is skiing really well, Woof Crick was even better.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
She is below me but doesn't report to me. At one point we were going to work together, but she got pulled onto a separate project. I can't help but feel like our boss (both of ours at the time) saw how "well" we worked together. Anyways, I'm somewhat more senior (like 3 levels) which is also why I'm like "why are you calling me out for this or that"
just tell her supervisor that she needs to stay in her damn lane.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This has happened more times than I care to think about. All the engineers had a pretty elitist attitude that if you weren't a degreed engineer, you don't know shit. Most of my best fixes/changes were just putting what the mechanics/operators told me they wanted into a feasible and practical solution.

So glad I'm out of (that) production site.
Some of our operators and maintenance guys were dipshits, some were downright genius. Either way they were the folks who spent 12 hours a day elbow deep in the stuff and were always going to have more information than I could dream of. The skill is being able to get the info out of them and to objectively filter out their good/bad ideas. In this case the operator knew exactly what was causing the problem and how to fix it. When I asked him why he had never brought it up before he just said "no one ever asked". Historically there was a contentious relationship between the professionals and blue collar people. I got more done in that place simply by building mutual respect with the working folks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Some of our operators and maintenance guys were dipshits, some were downright genius. Either way they were the folks who spent 12 hours a day elbow deep in the stuff and were always going to have more information than I could dream of. The skill is being able to get the info out of them and to objectively filter out their good/bad ideas. In this case the operator knew exactly what was causing the problem and how to fix it. When I asked him why he had never brought it up before he just said "no one ever asked". Historically there was a contentious relationship between the professionals and blue collar people. I got more done in that place simply by building mutual respect with the working folks.
a buddy of mine accomplished that at a plant once simply by going out drinking with the line workers once a week.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
a buddy of mine accomplished that at a plant once simply by going out drinking with the line workers once a week.

It helped that I had actual had experience swinging wrenches and operating machines and wasn't just an office jockey who actually understood their world to a certain extent.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
You should try to work as a software professional in a semiconductor company where even the janitors are electrical engineers. Everyone secretly wants to be an electrical engineer and everyone would be an electrical engineer if they were smart enough.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You should try to work as a software professional in a semiconductor company where even the janitors are electrical engineers. Everyone secretly wants to be an electrical engineer and everyone would be an electrical engineer if they were smart enough.
I don't wanna be an electrical engineer

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I don't wanna be an electrical engineer
smart enough to know I don't wanna be an electrical engineer.
Most of the electrical engineers I know do everything but electrical engineering.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Bingo. I became very good friends with the A and B shift mechanics and guys in the machine shop. I'd stay super late or be in at 5am on a Saturday to help do routine maintenance shit if it meant helping those guys out, which was definitely not technically in the scope of my position.

Guess who always got immediate maintenance assistance or jumped to the front of the line with the machine shop? This guy, that's who.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Stripped and serviced the 38s this AM. They were in better shape than the 36s I did recently on my mate’s bike, but still a bit dry at the top. Sponges took an oil bath and some new Slickoleum on the seals and stuff. I switched the 5wt in the grip2 for 2.5wt which has made the difference I wanted to the off-the-top suppleness but the damping still ramps up fairly fast. Scooped a bunch of grease out of the air chamber, like almost a volume spacer’s worth, still leaving plenty. Will need to properly reset sag after a ride I think. For now have chucked it on the plush end, 85psi with 3 volume spacers. Ready to rock I hope.