Quantcast

O.K, Kids, What Mods Can Be Done To Improve ‘19 Fox 36?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Sounds like this for is moving to my next trail-ish bike. I have been pretty happy with it, but would like to improve off the top sensitivity. What’s out there with solid and significant benefits? Winter project, so I can wait.
I am not going to convert to coil, this is for my ‘lightest’ bike build.
thots?
runt?
luftkappe?
custom tuning?

Last edited:

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Bushing sizing tools require a bushing installation / removal slide hammer to start with, so factor in spending at least a thousand dollars on that little project.

If you really want that done, pay someone else to size your bushings so they can curse and swear at the injustice of the world when they go one size too large and have to replace all the bushings and start again. Just trust me on that one.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Use the luftkappe to reduce your travel.
Pitch your volume spacers at some e bikers face.
If youve got anything other than an rc2, remove, discard, replace with rc2

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Unless you live in a really hot area, I would replace the sticky Fox Gold oil with something else like Motorex supergliss 68k or öhlins renep cglp 68 fork lube.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Bushing sizing tools require a bushing installation / removal slide hammer to start with, so factor in spending at least a thousand dollars on that little project.

If you really want that done, pay someone else to size your bushings so they can curse and swear at the injustice of the world when they go one size too large and have to replace all the bushings and start again. Just trust me on that one.
What’s the Fox bushing installation/removal tool look like? I have one for the Ohlins forks and it’s a pretty nice tool!

I thought you could size the bushings 5-7 times before changing them out. I feel like they ovalize after a while and resizing them makes them feel sweet again. Are there other sizing inserts besides the -0- and the .001?

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
What’s the Fox bushing installation/removal tool look like? I have one for the Ohlins forks and it’s a pretty nice tool!

I thought you could size the bushings 5-7 times before changing them out. I feel like they ovalize after a while and resizing them makes them feel sweet again. Are there other sizing inserts besides the -0- and the .001?
The Ohlins tool is much nicer than the BBI version which is pretty much the standard and while the BBI tool is nicely built it is also trying to be a precision slide hammer which is a pretty crazy design brief. I have had issues with using it to size 32mm and 35mm RS bushings and tenneco era 35mm and 38mm Marzocchi bushings. Never actually had a problem with a Fox fork or an Ohlins fork either but...

While I'd be the first one to tell people to have at it if it's something you can do at home with a reasonable chance of pulling it off at a reasonable cost/benefit/risk sizing your own fork bushings really isn't that kind of job

Last edited:

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
The Ohlins tool is much nicer than the BBI version which is pretty much the standard and while the BBI tool is nicely built it is also trying to be a precision slide hammer which is a pretty crazy design brief. I have had issues with using it to size 32mm and 35mm RS bushings and tenneco era 35mm and 38mm Marzocchi bushings. Never actually had a problem with a Fox fork or an Ohlins fork either but...

While I'd be the first one to tell people to have at it if it's something you can do at home with a reasonable chance of pulling it off at a reasonable cost/benefit/risk sizing your own fork bushings really isn't that kind of job

Have you actually gone oversize with this before?

I turned up/polished a sizing tool and have noticed a significant improvement. This was for a Fox 36. Went to 36.1mm - if you are within tolerance on the sizing tool I'm not sure how you could go oversize? Don't take this as an attack just curious about your experience.

A bushing removal tool is next on my list of parts to make!

To the OP: I recently installed a Secus after running a lufkappe on the last couple of forks. It has been a really nice improvement and does exactly what it says on the box. Can definitely recommend that. If you don't have the cash go for Luftkappe - I'd consider this a Secus Lite and is a little more budget friendly.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Sounds like this for is moving to my next trail-ish bike. I have been pretty happy with it, but would like to improve off the top sensitivity. What’s out there with solid and significant benefits? Winter project, so I can wait.
I am not going to convert to coil, this is for my ‘lightest’ bike build.
thots?
runt?
luftkappe?
custom tuning?
Seems inexplicable that a brand new top of the line fork would need significant tuning like this. What am I missing?!

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
Seems inexplicable that a brand new top of the line fork would need significant tuning like this. What am I missing?!
No fork needs any upgrade - that's just what it is an upgrade. There is always a design freeze/price point that must be met during product development. You will never get a product that has had every single aspect of performance optimized to the maximum. The 36 is a great piece of engineering - however, everything can be improved...

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Have you actually gone oversize with this before?

I turned up/polished a sizing tool and have noticed a significant improvement. This was for a Fox 36. Went to 36.1mm - if you are within tolerance on the sizing tool I'm not sure how you could go oversize? Don't take this as an attack just curious about your experience.

A bushing removal tool is next on my list of parts to make!

To the OP: I recently installed a Secus after running a lufkappe on the last couple of forks. It has been a really nice improvement and does exactly what it says on the box. Can definitely recommend that. If you don't have the cash go for Luftkappe - I'd consider this a Secus Lite and is a little more budget friendly.
Have gone too far just by making and trying progressively larger tools to work out where it is that clearance becomes noticeable slop. Have had the lower bushings in RS forks knocked loose by the sizing tools and had them damage the coating of Marzocchi bushings from the Tenneco era as well. I'm pretty certain that's a result of fitment/quality issues with those forks too as the same tool has never given any grief on a Fox fork of any size.

At the end of the day they are just bushings and are replaceable, but it's a tedious, expensive and low gain place to go looking for improvements in my experience unless you have a set of bushings that are actually too tight from the factory to begin with. A Luftkappe is going to give you a lot more performance gain with a lot less messing about.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
interestingly, I am looking to reduce the fork travel by 10mm with a new airshaft...
The fork rides lower with the Luftkappe so keeping the 160 shaft could
So, I have been reading a bunch that it’s very difficult to get full travel with the luftkappe.
can anyone elucidate further?
Not a problem for me with a 2019 fork at 170mm. I don't use all my travel in a normal ride. But I took a steep rock roll way too fast the other day and basically did a 6' huck to flat. I used all my travel but didn't notice a bottom out.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
So, I have been reading a bunch that it’s very difficult to get full travel with the luftkappe.
Per Vorsprung, it's about equal to 1.5 volume tokens. So if you normally run 0 tokens, it will be quite a bit more progressive.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Per Vorsprung, it's about equal to 1.5 volume tokens. So if you normally run 0 tokens, it will be quite a bit more progressive.
Could be a problem when you are running near the maximum travel of the chassis, less so when your at the lower end.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
LOL
You have never designed and sold a product before eh?

The priorities look like this.
1 make a profit
999 make a profit
1000 make sure you don't get returns
1001 performance.

Air was about reducing part count. Its for sure cheaper to produce than coil and improves the fools favorite metric to put before all else (weight)

The air forks are much better than they were but they still exhibit undesirable characteristics.

The rc2 was tried and true.
Not in need of replacement really.

I think some dork engineers from rockshox or Marzocchi came in and brought with them the grip architecture they just had to change things up just for the sake of making the place their own..

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
LOL
You have never designed and sold a product before eh?

The priorities look like this.
1 make a profit
999 make a profit
1000 make sure you don't get returns
1001 performance.

Air was about reducing part count. Its for sure cheaper to produce than coil and improves the fools favorite metric to put before all else (weight)

The air forks are much better than they were but they still exhibit undesirable characteristics.

The rc2 was tried and true.
Not in need of replacement really.

I think some dork engineers from rockshox or Marzocchi came in and brought with them the grip architecture they just had to change things up just for the sake of making the place their own..
Haven’t ridden it, but something appears off if this is the fork everyone says is the benchmark. So what I’m missing is that it’s substandard right out of the box? Ok, gotcha.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Haven’t ridden it, but something appears off if this is the fork everyone says is the benchmark. So what I’m missing is that it’s substandard right out of the box? Ok, gotcha.
How much are you willing to pay for your ideal performing fork? If the right to high end performance cost money? How much is it worth to you? Honest question...

Personally, it’s worth a lot to me so I’m curious what it’s worth to others.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
How much are you willing to pay for your ideal performing fork? If the right to high end performance cost money? How much is it worth to you? Honest question...

I’m riding a coil fork from 2013. I like that the maintenance is very low. I’d like to think there are newer better performing forks out there, but I know that it’s not my fork that’s holding me back - it’s all the pie and ice/cream. I don’t race anymore. So while I do value it, my level of tinkering/finickiness and need is low compared to some on here. I also look others who go on about this tech or that being the reason that they’re slow/crashing/unstable/latefortheride... Then I see them ride and it’s clear proper technique and fitness is what’s lacking... not their 26” wheel or whatever.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I’m riding a coil fork from 2013. I like that the maintenance is very low. I’d like to think there are newer better performing forks out there, but I know that it’s not my fork that’s holding me back - it’s all the pie and ice/cream. I don’t race anymore. So while I do value it, my level of tinkering/finickiness and need is low compared to some on here. I also look others who go on about this tech or that being the reason that they’re slow/crashing/unstable/latefortheride... Then I see them ride and it’s clear proper technique and fitness is what’s lacking... not their 26” wheel or whatever.
Good thing you haven't "upgraded" because I can
Tell you the newer fork is worse in most ways besides weight and not getting stuck between two spring rates.

Your fork is the bench mark thats why you don't see it.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
On top of that the larger negative chamber will also require a higher pressure to yield the same SAG. So basically adding a Luftkappe is like having 1,5 tokens and a higher pressure... no so strange it becomes difficult to use all travel.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE

I do throw a fair amount of money (and time) into suspension upgrade even if my level of riding doesn't really require it but I got used to the feeling of good performing suspension and I like to tinker. I guess that there is still some potential improvements to be made on my setups but I try to not push it to far either: what you don't know won't hurt you. Kind of! :pleasantry:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I was gonna say send it to Push since they used to advertise damper tuning and bushing sizing, but now they don't describe what their fork service is. Call/email them?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
They still do (I know, a friend sent his in to them last summer), but they don't really put any effort into it. My buddy's pretty light (<150 lbs), so had a legit reason for needing the compression and rebound stacks redone, but he said they barely did anything. He said it was flat out bad even wide open before they worked on it, and he it improved to "rideable" wide open after they worked on it. He was hoping to at least get some sort of usable range.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I got mine on a used bike. Previous owner had gotten rid of it cheap because it didn't bride well. He had done a bunch of stuff to improve the ride, but made it worse in the process. MRP ramp control with spacers. If there ever was a problem with the fork it was the half gallon of grease in the negative chamber. Cleaning that up and putting things back to stock made it all good. But I had the Luftkappe and longer air shaft so I went with it.

And that reminds me. Rideit, do a rebuild and make sure the negative chamber isn't packed with grease. Remove all the spacers and run higher pressures. More spacers and lower pressure will make it wallowy and harsh.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
They still do (I know, a friend sent his in to them last summer), but they don't really put any effort into it. My buddy's pretty light (<150 lbs), so had a legit reason for needing the compression and rebound stacks redone, but he said they barely did anything. He said it was flat out bad even wide open before they worked on it, and he it improved to "rideable" wide open after they worked on it. He was hoping to at least get some sort of usable range.
At 150lb I wouldn't expect mind-boggling levels of improvement from a lighter tune on a stock damper, which are almost universally very light to begin with.

I would also note that while a Luftkappe is definitely more progressive than a stock air spring, it's not impossible to use full travel even with a fairly progressive setup.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I would also note that while a Luftkappe is definitely more progressive than a stock air spring, it's not impossible to use full travel even with a fairly progressive setup.
would you have recommendations about where to start looking if I'm not getting full travel? Even with high speed hard hits, or drops to flat? I'm running my sag at about 20%. Any more and I get pretty unbalanced with the rear. I'm on a 2016 Pike fwiw... and my shock is a tractive tuned Monarch on a Transition Patrol...

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I will go and double check my setup
would you have recommendations about where to start looking if I'm not getting full travel? Even with high speed hard hits, or drops to flat? I'm running my sag at about 20%. Any more and I get pretty unbalanced with the rear. I'm on a 2016 Pike fwiw... and my shock is a tractive tuned Monarch on a Transition Patrol...
I'm on the same fork, same bike, mines at 160mm with Luftkappe +2 tokens so very very progressive. I weigh 72.5kg and run it at about 65psi. Can use about 95% travel consistently which is fine with me. Travel indicators are another example of the bike industry making important what can be easily measured, rather than a measurement of anything important.

The air trapped in the lowers of those forks generates a crazy amount of force at bottom out. Let all of the air out of the air spring, flip them upside down , compress them all the way and then knock in the footbolt on the air spring side and do it back up again. You will lose about 5-6mm of travel to static sag by doing this but reduce the ramp at the end of the stroke significantly. If you then feel like your hands are too low correct by spacing the stem up by 5mm.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for fox they only do 2015 and newer 36 forks, and it sounds like they'll also work on previously pushed 32/34/36 prior to 2015/40.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I have a 2019 36 and upgraded from a Fit4 damper to a Grip2 and just did a Push ACS3 spring kit a few weeks ago. So far digging on it. Forgot how much I missed a coil fork.