Quantcast

O7' @ Silver Mtn.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Yes you have to push your bike up 6 miles, 3000 feet vert becuse on race days they shut the gondola and the lifts down.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Sorry just kidding, if you look at the link I posted a few replys back it says the hours of the chair lift and gondola. You wont be hiking dont worry.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
No dude, I know for sure the gondola and chair 3 are open saturday and sunday. That hike up would be hard core without a bike. Altough the trails might be closed to non-racers.....

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
So, can someone please clarify for me. I read in this thread that on race days some of the trails are closed, does that mean that every Sunday, because there's a race on Sundays, the good trails will be closed? Guess I'll rethink the weekend trip over there then...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So, can someone please clarify for me. I read in this thread that on race days some of the trails are closed, does that mean that every Sunday, because there's a race on Sundays, the good trails will be closed? Guess I'll rethink the weekend trip over there then...
I thought the same thing. DH races on Sundays sounds cool and all, but what if you dont want to race?

Mach_9o

Chimp
May 11, 2007
Born and Raised North Idaho
whoa. sorry guys been away from the computer a while. I'm currently getting ready for work so I'll answer as many of your questions as I can. I encourage others to read the answers to each question as there may be other related information. Thanks
SnowboardinWA: the Gondola will be running all day sunday. Chair three will only run for silveroxx. our last race went better than the first with about 22 racers but this weekends Knobby tire race should be much larger. With cash and Norba points on the line we expect more riders from accross the west. the races have been fast but not too technical compared to some other coarses that are out there. we have plans to build a gnar rocky rooty mess of trail as soon as we finish a couple more Beg/Int trails.

Fuzzycatnuts: yes we did finally get a trackhoe machine and can start cruising along on trail construction. As far as a trip to whistler goes, my managers have been informed and it dosnt look to be in the cards for me. we'll see. For an answer to your question about a discount for friday call our # and speek with someone at ticketing. (208) 783-1111 Ext. 8208. For music Saturday during silveroxx
I've heard that Melifluent may be playing but last I heard they were not 100%. Chair 3 will run silveroxx weekend. I belive they may have a plan to lift riders and their bikes quicker this year. I' ll see what i can find out. Sounds good about your techy trail desires. we will try to have a trail just for you guys before the year is done but no promises. have a few other projects on the plate first.

Sorry everyone else. I'll try to get time later today to field your questins and give a good trail update. Off to work I go Hi Ho Hi Ho Hi Ho Hi Ho

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So let me get this right. Sunday is race day and the course will be closed to non-racers?

So note to self, dont go to Silver on Sundays since they race almost every Sunday.

Racing is cool and all but racing almost every Sunday is a bit much.

Mach_9o

Chimp
May 11, 2007
Yo everyone, just got off work and I'll tell you it was the sweetest day yet on the hill. Lots of riders in town for the Knobby Tire race. New features and upper hammer are OPEN!!!!! A couple jumps this morning were a lil lippy but we were able to knock the lips off the problem ones by 10 am. Dirt is in awesome shape. 11 A has had a face lift with three hits added and a direction change at the end that does away with the 180 at the road, setting you up for a straight cruiser onto the road to 5 points. Also a sweet burm from 5 points fire road giving you tons of speed and flow turning down toward Spooky woods section of the Hammer. Top it off with beautiful weather and good tempratures and I'm looking forward to tomorrow even more. Check it out, it will be a weekend your friends will tell you about. onto your questions.

Bullcrew: Which race are you asking about, this weekends, or silveroxx? This weekends will be mostly fast flowy dh and single-track, a couple rock gardens etc. not to much technical stuff to speak of. Just a long ride top to bottom that will remind you to work your forearms next time at the gym, or on the couch, or wherever you work your forearms.

Most everyone: Yes I understand our website is a great place to look at pictures of real estate and condos most of us can't afford and offers little for information to you who may read this. It has been addressed and is in the process of being revamped. As with most things it will take some time. Sorry for the confusion everyone. it seems most everyone has had trouble of some type getting info on events, trails, and hours. I apologize again, rest assured it will only get better. (it has to right?)

Everyone else: having to close the runs during an event is an inconvenence to rec riders. Don't think for a moment that you riders I just mentioned are not important to us. Unfortunately most of our popular trails do intersect each other, therefore limiting non race terrain access on race days. As we further develop and build our trail network we will alleviate much of the problem. Also it is seldom that we have a full top to bottom event that warrants us closing most of the mountain. Sorry again for the limitations on race days. Don't forget the courses are open before and after the event. Most races start at 10:30 and end between noon and 3:00 pm depending on the # of racers, the staggering of starts, and any delays incurred while Patrol tends to injured racers.

I hope I answered most of you. I'm sure I missed something though. Sorry, repost and I'll get to you. In closing we now have our new machine and have begun work on Pepsi Can trail and just 30 or 40 yard into it I'm liking what I see. We have plenty of work for volunteers, so those of you looking to ride for free the rest of the season get in touch. Thanks again everyone. Without the riders we are just a mountain with berry pickers and bird watchers. (not that I don't LOVE those huckleberries..... especially in a margarita.... man I love summer.) Look forward to seeing you soon.

*read this*
Sunday the 24 will be a riders meeting at the gondola base at 5:00 pm. Be heard and let us know what you like or would like to see improve on the hill. Without the input and support of the riders and community we cannot guarantee the future of the program. Thank you for contributing the good and bad so that we may all grow in the direction we want to.
Elijah

shuttlefever

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
Enumclaw Wa.
Yo Mach, I just want to say thanks for taking the time out of your personal time to write these reports!! I am leaning toward making a trip over there in august just for a couple days to check it out!! If theres any change in the race schedule, please let the list know. I am a rec. rider so I dont want to have to fight with the racers for space!!
Keep up the good work!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Everyone else: having to close the runs during an event is an inconvenence to rec riders. Don't think for a moment that you riders I just mentioned are not important to us. Unfortunately most of our popular trails do intersect each other, therefore limiting non race terrain access on race days. As we further develop and build our trail network we will alleviate much of the problem. Also it is seldom that we have a full top to bottom event that warrants us closing most of the mountain. Sorry again for the limitations on race days. Don't forget the courses are open before and after the event. Most races start at 10:30 and end between noon and 3:00 pm depending on the # of racers, the staggering of starts, and any delays incurred while Patrol tends to injured racers.
Boy, I hate to be a stick in the mud but it sounds like planning a Sunday trip for rec riding (non racing) is a real crap shoot. Like, totally open trails are only guaranteed before 10:30 or after 3? Maybe sometime in between but I gather the timing to be on top at the interval that the trail is open for rec riders is going to be rather critical? Where's the incentive for rec riders on a Sunday?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
A couple jumps this morning were a lil lippy but we were able to knock the lips off the problem ones by 10 am.
Will someone PLEASE teach Otis how to construct jumps?

I am up at Whistler right now and everything is so well-formed it's like the difference between night and day. It would be worth Stephen kicking loose a little money to send Otis to a jump-building school up here. The potential is there; the tools are at hand; the knowledge just needs to be there to put the tools to best use.

leadhead

Chimp
May 9, 2006
On sunday the course will only be closed for an hour at most while racing is going on from 1 till 2, but racing usually done by 1:30 so make the trip.

Mach_9o

Chimp
May 11, 2007
Hello. What it is?.. Another beautifull weekend. Had a small turnout (11 racers) for todays Chainless race. Also saw a lot of other riders tearing up the trails not looking to race. today everything went well and no riders were left without a place to ride. Progress on Pepsi can is steady and as of this afternoon there are a few fresh tracks down it. Im sure it was fun till they got to where we stopped building. We start full time operations tomorow monday the 24th. We will be open 6 days a week. All but tuesday. We appriciate the riders appritiation and thanks we've been recieving on the hill and online. It keeps getting better in my eyes and we should have a great strong remainder of the season.
Shuttlefever:.. Thank you man. You're the first one to express gratitude. If your in town in august track me down. I'd be glad to share a ride and a few cold ones. I'll keep you all in the know as best I can to the seasons happenings.
Minor threat: Hope your having fun up there. Please dont let a not so perfectly constructed jump here in Idaho put a damper on your trip. We were able again to knock the lips off the jump and most people are quite pleased with the new features especially after a couple days when the dirt packed in and setled. I'll be the first to admit that I, Elijah, totally suck at mountainbiking and I go realy realy slow. That said I am getting a feeling for a couple of the hits on the hill and I'm having a blast learning more. I'll also say that I'll definatly send a copy of your request to the powers that be to get Otis and I and Chad for that matter up to Wistler for some research. If they go for it I'll by you a pitcher of only the finest PBR when your in town. Thank you again for staying positive. I hope to see you around.
Gear Girl: I feel today went realy well for any rec riders on the hill. Our coarse was upper hammer to 11-A to spooky woods hammer. This left Jackass and pink Polkadot open. I few riders made their run just before the race, hopped on the gondolla, and by the time they reached the top again the race was over and they never were turned away from any section of trail. Again this will only get better as we complete more trail.

Everyone. I'de be glad to meet with any of you in person on the hill. If its to BS or answer any questions I'm always willing. Its our goal to offer something for everyone up here and without your constructive input and support it only gets tougher for us, if you know what I mean. See you all up here. Thanks again.
Elijah

Chair 3 will run silveroxx weekend. I belive they may have a plan to lift riders and their bikes quicker this year.
Do you have bike hooks on the chairs now? (They can't be that expensive or complicated, since a relatively low-budget operation like Ski Bowl has them). The close-the-bar-down-on-the-bike format last year was a bit sketchy.

Also, are you running the same course for the short DH as last year? And will it be taped during practice with the actual course? Last year we practiced all morning on part of the trail that was closed at race time.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Went to register and it says theres a late fee after last night. It dpes not really seam fair since they didnt set up that link untell resently. Is the 10$ late fee for online registration only?

How big are the jumps for the jump contest? Is it going to be wooden kickers like last year?

pink46

Chimp
May 28, 2006
spokane
Boy, I hate to be a stick in the mud but it sounds like planning a Sunday trip for rec riding (non racing) is a real crap shoot. Like, totally open trails are only guaranteed before 10:30 or after 3? Maybe sometime in between but I gather the timing to be on top at the interval that the trail is open for rec riders is going to be rather critical? Where's the incentive for rec riders on a Sunday?
why not just ride up there a different day? it doesnt work to be having a downhill race with xc and other recreational riders on the course or crossing it.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Enduro DH? Super D?
Yeah, basically a Super-D. Full length of the Hammer (or maybe with part of Alhambra thrown in) to the valley floor. One side or the other of 15 minutes depending on your class.

Saturday's races are the "short course" - - down to probably about the road gap - - to the base of I think chair 3.

I want the 8-hour Endurance DH to make a comeback; that was too fun.