Quantcast

Oakley Eyeglasses

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I need to get a new pair of eyeglasses and Oakley is the only brand I am considering. However, some of their glasses look like walking billboards, something one might do for sunglasses but not for all-the-time eyeglasses. I am thinking about this model, which has the bike-related name of kickstand:

The cost is extremely high, but most of it is covered by my vision plan. The quality of Oakley is matched by none, so it is worth the cost.

I was wondering what people thought of Oakleys for prescription wear.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
sanjuro said:
I need to get a new pair of eyeglasses and Oakley is the only brand I am considering. However, some of their glasses look like walking billboards, something one might do for sunglasses but not for all-the-time eyeglasses. I am thinking about this model, which has the bike-related name of kickstand:

The cost is extremely high, but most of it is covered by my vision plan. The quality of Oakley is matched by none, so it is worth the cost.

I was wondering what people thought of Oakleys for prescription wear.
My last 4 pairs of glasses have been Oakleys and I still have all but one pair (they ended up getting lost in a pretty spectular crash). The best thing about them is that they stay put on my nose.

Current pair is the chop top 2.0. If you haven't had straight earstems before they take a little getting used to as they pinch your head slightly and its a bit uncomfortable. But that goes away within a few days.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
really ****ing expensive if you don't have insurance. that's all i think about it. i like the frames, though. Transcend has like 109823 pairs of Oakley RX.

but if there's a place you can try them on, do it. every pair of their frames that i liked ended up looking like poo on me. the one pair i didn't like ended up looking good.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I have prescription oakley sunglasses and they are great. Sometimes I think they have better clarity than my regular glasses.

So far, I've been really impressed, and if your insurance will cover most of it, you might as well get what you want.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, the frames aren't too bad (compared to others i've seen)...the lenses, though.....damn. and i was told the wait was 2 - 3 weeks.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
RhinofromWA said:
How much does a pair cost....sans insurance?

We talking $200, $300, $400, etc?
My prescription sunglasses were about $350, but insurance covered all but about 80 of that. The lenses are the expensive part. I'm blind and wanted the nicer tint so my lenses were most of the cost (the frames were only $100)!!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Andy_B said:
Most places will cut lens for Oakley, to save you some cash.... But you will void frame warranty.
The only problem with this, other than the warranty, is that most places can only cut lenses for Oakley's flat lense glasses. If you want shop lenses in a curved front oakley frame, the outer perimeter of the lense will be distorted.

Also, they also told me 2-3 weeks, but they were done in a week and a half, so the wait may not be that bad.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
related question-
How do you know which Oakley shades can accept prescription lenses? I want a plastic set for riding.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
johnbryanpeters said:
Any data to support this assertion?
I have a pair of prescription Juliets which have survived 4 years without a scratch. There might be other companies as good, like Rudy Project, but Oakley is definintely tops in what I have seen.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
As of this week, I own 7 pairs of Oakley RX glasses. My latest model is the Split thread. I also own the wiretap, e wire 2.1, race jackets, unknowns, hatchet wires, gascans and a few others i cant recall the names of. I just ordered my chick a pair of haylons and a pair of offline 4s for christmas.

I would never consider another brand. The oakley lenses are second to NONE. If anyone disagrees, they are on crack. I have to wear these every waking minute, and have had many brands of glasses, from many optometrists. Oakley hooked me up about 5 years ago now, and I will never look back. Simply incredible.

The Rx stuff isn't super billboardey: Split thread, wiretap. Ok the wiretap is a little billboardey.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DH Diva said:
The only problem with this, other than the warranty, is that most places can only cut lenses for Oakley's flat lense glasses. If you want shop lenses in a curved front oakley frame, the outer perimeter of the lense will be distorted.

Also, they also told me 2-3 weeks, but they were done in a week and a half, so the wait may not be that bad.
Bingo - Oakley can fit RX to almost any frame in house, depending on your prescription. Strong prescriptions or when a weird sphere is needed (to correct for eye shape - as in my case) you can only use certain frames. Oakley has a chart, call the 1 800 and ask.

To get the XYZ lens curve (the fully rounded lenses), you need to go to oakley direct. My RX stuff form them is always done within a week, 3-4 days or so for the latest batch (last week).

Some frames (such as the riddle and the dartboard) cannot be made into RX lenses. The M frames can - but only by using special inserts cut and welded into the shield lenses themselves.

Most frames are between 70-150. The lenses however can run you anywhere from $100 a pair for a simple frame fit/Rx all the way up to $300 or so. If you want iridium or anything, tack about $75/100 onto whatever the clear RX costs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
johnbryanpeters said:
Any data to support this assertion?
I don't know about hard data, but i can assure you that the clarity of my oakley Rx stuff far surpasses anything I have ever worn before. It is mind numbing.

The XYZ curve however, takes a bit of getting used to. with my wiretaps and C wires, I can see almost 170 degs or so...my first day wearing them i was walking into cars in the parking lot. It is a little unnerving at first. After that, you feel like superman with X ray vision! :love:

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I have a pair of Straight Line 4.0s that I've been wearing for the past few years. I LOVE them!!! Very comfortable. The frames have standard lenses (non-Oakley) and were fairly reasonably pirced. I was unaware that Oakley made their own lenses otherwise I would've requested them. I'm a huge Oakley fan. Try them out. For my shape/size of face I had to try several frames on to find just the right fit - they were quite variable between models. Here's a pic of mine:

http://mi.oakley.com/site/media/cache/425c0716a05d7.jpg_0_0_0.jpg

toby

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
Transcend said:
I don't know about hard data, but i can assure you that the clarity of my oakley Rx stuff far surpasses anything I have ever worn before. It is mind numbing.

The XYZ curve however, takes a bit of getting used to. with my wiretaps and C wires, I can see almost 170 degs or so...my first day wearing them i was walking into cars in the parking lot. It is a little unnerving at first. After that, you feel like superman with X ray vision! :love:
We have some literature in the shop that is a an eyeglass lens test done by some aviation magazine that tests lens clarity and all that good stuff. Oakley DOMINATED the 50 or so other manufacturers that were tested. I'll look for it at some point today if you're at all interested, its probably lying around somewhere.

I look at Oakley as one of those cfompany's where you truly DO get what you pay for and it's worth the extra $, they make some fine stuff sir.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Transcend said:
As of this week, I own 7 pairs of Oakley RX glasses. My latest model is the Split thread. I also own the wiretap, e wire 2.1, race jackets, unknowns, hatchet wires, gascans and a few others i cant recall the names of. I just ordered my chick a pair of haylons and a pair of offline 4s for christmas.

I would never consider another brand. The oakley lenses are second to NONE. If anyone disagrees, they are on crack. I have to wear these every waking minute, and have had many brands of glasses, from many optometrists. Oakley hooked me up about 5 years ago now, and I will never look back. Simply incredible.

The Rx stuff isn't super billboardey: Split thread, wiretap. Ok the wiretap is a little billboardey.

Let me ask you this question: do you wear only one pair most of the time, or do you mix it up daily? I like some of the more solid looking frames, but not as an everyday pair of eyeglasses.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Transcend said:

Let me ask you this question: do you wear only one pair most of the time, or do you mix it up daily? I like some of the more solid looking frames, but not as an everyday pair of eyeglasses.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Acadian said:
please give me the name of the place where you shop for your Oakley frames. Two months ago I was told I need glasses…so I shopped around for days trying to decide which Oakley frame I wanted. I think I went to the O-Store like 50 times ;o) I finally decided I wanted either the Jackknife's or Thread's.

Frames ALONE were between $220 and $250 - don't know where you are getting yours for less than $150??? Unless you have some Oakley pro/O form.

But in the end, after all this research, I finally decided to get something else and went with a Flexon frame - which I think suits my lifestyle a bit better than the Oakley wire frames. My optometrist told me that Contacts are not an option for my case…so I want glasses that I can wear under my goggles but under my Full Face helmet.

I’m going to wear these glasses for a while and determine if I really need them to ride with or not (which I think I will). Then I might order some Clear Oakley prescription lenses for my Half Jackets (for trail riding) and some tinted ones for my Monsterdogs. But still…the lenses alone are pretty pricey.
Personally I get my stuff direct from oakley, yes. I won't mention what pricing is on those. Suffice it to say, it's good enough that I own 7 pairs.

When I was shopping for new stuff (ie: trying on in optometrists) griesche and scaff up here in montreal had killer deals - with exchange factored in that is what what they were coming out to. Average price at the time was about 150-200 cnd. Of course, some jumped to 400 (why 4 with ti arms).

Sunglasses (o matter) are MUCH cheaper then the RX stuff normally. you can get unknown frames for about $85 i think?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sanjuro said:
I mix it up! I like variety, what can I say.

I prefer the split threads when is pent my 8 hours a day marathon code writing. They are nice and light, and i barely feel them. My wiretaps aren't as light, tho still not bad. The e wires are a bit weighty due to the spring hinge and give me a sore nose when worn for a full day.

As for sunglasses, it depends what mood i'm in. I wear the unknowns the most,a s they are sporty and fit tightly to my head. The gascans are more of a fashioney type thing, so i wear those when i know i wont be riding a bike, or jogging or whatever.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
narlus said:
nice analogy. do you put yr glasses in the wash?

does anyone on RM know someone w/ even 4 pairs of glasses?
So you own what, 5 pairs of pants, and wash 4 at once?

right, exactly. Nice try though.

No, you actually wear different pants to work, riding your bike, going to weddings etc.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I've used O's for RX glasses since before they offered RX specific frames...
My current pair is a T-wire sunglass, that I had the Ti lenses removed and clear lenses put into. The optometrist can cut you lenses for any of the wire series, no need to spend $$ getting O to do it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
zahgurim said:
I've used O's for RX glasses since before they offered RX specific frames...
My current pair is a T-wire sunglass, that I had the Ti lenses removed and clear lenses put into. The optometrist can cut you lenses for any of the wire series, no need to spend $$ getting O to do it.
Sure they can cut the lenses, but looking out of them any way but directly forward leads to plenty of distortion due to the curvature of the frames.

Spend the extra money, get good lenses. If you don't want to bother, just get some $100 knock off look a likes - you will get the exact same thing.

It doesnt make sense to waste the money on O frames, when it is the lenses that are far and away superior to the competition, not the frames.