Quantcast

Oakley

lampy29

Chimp
Oct 16, 2008
Rochester
Oakley is crazy expensive! But I'm seeing so many people wearing there stuff, especially mtb'ers and roadies... anyone here use Oakley products? Want to find out what others think of their glasses before plunking down like $170 for a pair. :biggrin:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Three things: Oakley makes the highest quality products. While there are other companies who make just as good, you can be assured their glasses and most of the clothes are top notch.

Oakley spends ginormous amounts of cash advertising, like print advertising and athlete sponsorship, another reason why their sh*t is so expensive.

Finally, fyi, Oakley kept Lance Armstrong on their health plan when he came down with cancer. Back then, he wasn't "Lance", but just a successful roadie, which despite some of his gaudy wins, he was not exactly flush with cash compared to the bills involving cancer treatment without health insurance.

I have several of their products and I am glad to pay the extra.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Their glasses are decent, but I prefer Smiths.

Their clothes are so-so. I've bought a bunch of it on chainlove, and noticed that quality isn't where it oughtta be for the retail retail price. Looks cool though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I have a pair of Oakley shorts. WORST shorts I've ever owned. They're so uncomfortable I can only use them on short (<20 miles) rides.

I have a pair of Oakley sunglasses that I found at the base of a crag down in Elevenmile Canyon. They're old. :monkey:

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
pretty much have been using Oakley shades since their inception, and that's going back to my bmx days in the 80's. i've always liked their stuff, no complaints from me.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
In my experience nothing compares to Oakley sunglasses. I've owned about 6 pair. My current pair have been dropped, crushed, stepped on, you name it. I can't tell you how many times I've had to put them back together in the 4 years I've had them. The arms and lenses pop out but a quick snap back together and they are good as new. BadDNA witnessed a full break apart when I stepped on them. The clarity, fit, feel, and look are second to none. IMO well worth the money.

My riding glasses were Natives which were pretty decent. I liked the 4 interchangeable lenses (clear, yellow, orange, and polarized) all for less than $50. But it didn't take much to break the arm off. I almost got a season out of them.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I used to wear a lot of Oakley until they shrank all the glasses. My head is HUGE and the only ones that fit anymore are the M's.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Great glasses, crap soft-goods.
You can find genuine oakley glasses on ebay for more palatable prices.

lampy29

Chimp
Oct 16, 2008
Rochester
So you can. Great deals to be had on ebay. I got my first 2 pairs of 'Oakleys' (crap knock offs) for $10 in Mexico. They looked pretty good until I tried to wear them. on the first pair the arms broke from sitting on my head while going for a ride. They fell off and got caught in my wheel and ripped to shreds. The second pair broke before I got them on my face. The lense fell out. Real Oakleys for me from now on.

Last edited:

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
So you can. Great deals to be had on ebay. I got my first 2 pairs of 'Oakleys' (crap knock offs) for $10 in Mexico. They looked pretty good until I tried to wear them. on the first pair the arms broke from sitting on my head while going for a ride. They fell off and got caught in my wheel and ripped to shreds. The second pair broke before I got them on my face. The lense fell out. Real Oakleys for me from now on.
Yes, those are called "jokeleys". You have to watch out for those because they look identical. Real Oakleys are never cheap.