Quantcast

Oakridge is Hawt.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
So one of my buddies turned 40 and he had talked about heading to Bend to ride trail bikes. After some back and forth, one of the other guys that was going had dealt with Trans-Cascadia for some races. Well, they have just opened an excursion spot in Westfir, OR just outside of Oakridge. So, we ended up booking an all-inclusive excursion and were the first group out of this spot. The trip literally included everything and it was worth it. We flew into Portland and TC picked us up from the airport. They also already had rooms booked at the small Inn next to their base. We rolled in, assembled the bikes and headed off for a ride. The first one was a trail called Alpine, and even with the shuttle, there was still about a 1500 ft climb. We did 5 days of riding, had two guides that did shuttles/guiding and sometimes were both able to ride with us. There was also a chef with us that rode with us and cooked three meals.

We packed so much into 5 days it was a blast. We rode, we camped at a remote lake for a day and rode as well as cruised around the lake on paddle boards and swam. There were throwing axes that were available for entertainment as well. We had dinner one night at a small Chinese restaurant. The owner, Jeff Lee, is one of the most entertaining dudes I've met and was doing sake (tequila) bombs with us after making some kick ass food. Everything was handled for us for the whole week and it was one of the best riding trips I've had. TC definitely delivered and I would recommend it to anyone that's interested.

Attachments

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Indeed Oakridge is a lot of fun! Did you do Lake Waldo. Not as fun as Alpine o other more DH oriented ride, but sure is a pretty ride.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Indeed Oakridge is a lot of fun! Did you do Lake Waldo. Not as fun as Alpine o other more DH oriented ride, but sure is a pretty ride.
We didn't do Waldo. The guides mentioned it a ton of times that we should go if we get a chance, but if I remember right, they didn't have the permit to take us there. We rode Alpine, Eula, Larison Rock, Lawler, Moon Point, Grasshopper and some others I can't remember.

what guide outfit did you use? i'd love to do something like this.
It was Trans-Cascadia. One of the guys that went knows the owner, Nick, from riding in a bunch of enduro races he had put on. I can emphasize how smoothly it went and just fun the whole trip was. They can tailor a trip to what you want to include or not include. We had a private chef (that also rode with us), rooms booked at the lodge across the street, beer and drinks provided, etc. Literally everything was taken care of and I thought it was very reasonable.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Normally Waldo should be avoided until the beginning of September because of the mosquitoes I was told when I lived in the area. Unless of course your ride fast without stopping. ;)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Normally Waldo should be avoided until the beginning of September because of the mosquitoes I was told when I lived in the area. Unless of course your ride fast without stopping. ;)
We got mauled by mosquitoes at Timpanogas, but pretty much only at dusk and dawn. It was fine during the day and out on the water.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
looks like the gnar was shredded
Gnar in Oakridge???? Not sure what your definition of gnar is. No big features, no chunky trails.
Don't get me wrong, I love this place but it is pretty hyped. I thought it was especially funny when the shuttle driver once claimed it is a better riding destination than the Alps and all on the van agreed....but besides the guide and one other person none of them had ridden there. :D And the guy agreeing to the statement was on a rigid 29er (this was in 2008!). Suuuuure. :rolleyes: Especially because OROR is roughly the size of the whole of the Alps. :busted:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Gnar in Oakridge???? Not sure what your definition of gnar is. No big features, no chunky trails.
Don't get me wrong, I love this place but it is pretty hyped. I thought it was especially funny when the shuttle driver once claimed it is a better riding destination than the Alps and all on the van agreed....but besides the guide and one other person none of them had ridden there. :D And the guy agreeing to the statement was on a rigid 29er (this was in 2008!). Suuuuure. :rolleyes: Especially because OROR is roughly the size of the whole of the Alps. :busted:
I agree. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the riding and it was quite different from the stuff we get here in SoCal. Very much that typical PNW/Canada style dirt, but it was not technical at all IMO. There were a few sections where we were hauling ass on side hill trails and if you got pitched you would be hurting. There was a few semi-steep sections on Eula, but that was by far the most tech trail we rode and, while fun, it was nothing comparing to other places I've ridden. There were very good descents, miles of flowing single track and a few techy areas, but mainly just cushy lines through the trees. The upper alpine meadows were by far the hardest part for me to pedal as I've never ridden anything like that. Steep enough to require effort, but bumpy and random enough to make it hard to get a pace going. We HAB'd a lot of sections. It was a rad experience and I will definitely go back. I have to say, my favorite trail bike riding so far is probably still Squamish.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
dude. i dont even ride bikes anymore lol