Quantcast

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
As long as you're comfortable with teachers being sued for making non-controversial statements of fact.

I suppose you support taking "Under God" out of the pledge of allegiance now too? Or is that different?
no, he's being sued for:
In reviewing hours of statements by Dr. Corbett, we believe he is violating the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution by attacking religion, particularly Christianity, and creating a hostile environment for religious students.
a conflict the judge said should remind teachers of their legal “boundaries” as public school employees.
"The court cannot discern a legitimate secular purpose in this statement, even when considered in context."
Farnan's lawsuit had cited more than 20 inflammatory statements attributed to Corbett, according to the Register story, including "Conservatives don't want women to avoid pregnancies – that's interfering with God's work" and "When you pray for divine intervention, you're hoping that the spaghetti monster will help you get what you want."
what educational purpose did his comments serve? A public teachers job is to TEACH the required curriculum, not belittle a student for their chosen religious beliefs. How would it go over if a christian teacher berated an openly gay student for his lifestyle? oh hell..that would be all over national news and pinkos would be calling for that teachers head.
no-one says they can't teach evolution or creationism but the teacher, as a government employee, DOES NOT have the right to belittle a student for his/her beliefs.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You know you're conflating what he was being sued for (which means **** all) and what the judge actually ruled, right?

Also, you know the one remark that the judge found inappropriate? Don't be surprised if it is overturned, because the teacher made the comment about a science teacher at the school who sued because he had to teach actual science instead of creationist tripe.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
"When you pray for divine intervention, you're hoping that the spaghetti monster will help you get what you want."
i see nothing wrong with this statement.

i pray to the spaghetti monster every night.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
my son watched the obamafication today and said it was boring and had too many big words. perhaps if the master chief from HALO gave a speech he'd pay attention. but then again, my son doesn't need a politician to tell him to work hard so he can pay off our national debt when he's an adult....that's what i'm here for. ;)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
both of which are faith-based theories.
Right. One is the faith that gave us quantum mechanics, which in turn made possible the computer you're typing on, and the other is the faith that gave us, uh, um, inner strength.

Try as you might to distort reality, science is never going to be a "faith." It is a method that produces measurable, repeatable results. If you think the results require faith to believe, that's the beauty of the system, you can reproduce the same tests and try to create new results.

Really, by trying to call science faith, you're insulting the important cognitive and metaphysical role that religion plays in peoples lives. It's like saying Christianity should have no greater personal meaning to people than calculus.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
my son watched the obamafication today and said it was boring and had too many big words. perhaps if the master chief from HALO gave a speech he'd pay attention. but then again, my son doesn't need a politician to tell him to work hard so he can pay off our national debt when he's an adult....that's what i'm here for. ;)
That is exactly what I figured a kid would think about the speech: booooooooring.

No one gave a crap when Reagan did a school speech, no one gave a crap when Bush I did a school speech.

The reason why people noticed Obama's speech is that the right wing is looking for every weak spot in the Obarmor.

There is a slavish loyalty which is rarely discussed in the liberal parts of the country. Let me clue you and everyone else in:

1. Some idiots around the country voted in Bush II. Twice. I think those people destroyed America. No joke either.

2. Many people think Obama is the perfect man for President. Smart, level-headed, an amazing communicator, and most importantly, a minority. Yep, being a minority means to me he sees my side of things better any white person

Even for a white liberal, all the things he/she believes in, Obama has experienced, particularly discrimination.

I'm not against criticizing the President. Yes, I was against bailing out the auto industry without revamping the union contracts. I am concerned that HC Reform will bankrupt the country. And we are still at war.

But attacks of the man, its ridiculous at this point. He has appointed a lot of people but to me, he made only two decisions: 1. to spend stimulus money and 2. increase the troop levels in Afghanistan.

I don't think anyone can criticize those moves, which is why we have birthers/teabaggers/indoctrinations.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Right now in my office, I am hearing two older, old school republican men talk about how stupid and paranoid it was for people to overreact to Obama speaking to school children.
Color me surprised.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Right now in my office, I am hearing two older, old school republican men talk about how stupid and paranoid it was for people to overreact to Obama speaking to school children.
Color me surprised.
Really, why would that surprise you? That every republican or conservative minded person doesn't live up to the portrayal you see on Fox News or read about in the RM PAWN forum?

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Try as you might to distort reality, science is never going to be a "faith." It is a method that produces measurable, repeatable results. If you think the results require faith to believe, that's the beauty of the system, you can reproduce the same tests and try to create new results.

That's the problem with religious people. Even if they won't admit it, it's impossible for them to understand or accept that there are such things as natural facts, laws of physics, scientific truths... because when you believe in magic, all of these things are still malleable.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
That's the problem with religious people. Even if they won't admit it, it's impossible for them to understand or accept that there are such things as natural facts, laws of physics, scientific truths... because when you believe in magic, all of these things are still malleable.
Indeed. There is just a fundamental ability that they lack.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Not all "religious" folks are like that, your statement mostly describes folks on one particular end of the religious spectrum.